main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Avatar: The Last Airbender] Elemental (50 Sentence Challenge - February) -- Set IV, 2/27

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Author: NYCitygurl
    Title: Elemental
    Characters: Everyone!
    Timeframe: All over the place.
    Summary: Sometimes one sentence says it all.
    Notes: Written for the February 50 Sentence Challenge. This story covers all four February sets.

all of the strange, strange creatures

01. Journey

It would take a long time to get to the North Pole, but if Katara could learn from a real waterbending master, it would all be worth it.

02. Eccentric

Bumi had always been a little nuts, and Aang was glad to see that after a hundred years, some things hadn?t changed.

03. Array

Sokka wasn?t happy about the Fire Nation ships arrayed against them, but they didn?t have a choice?they had to run the blockade and get Aang to the Temple before the Solstice.

04. Abide

The medicine woman abided in a solitary place with only her pet for company?which Aang thought was a mistake.

05. Regenerate

Aang was his own person, not quite the same as Roku or Kyoshi or any of the others who had come before him?but even though they were all different people, the Avatar spirit was reborn in all of them.

06. Ramble

It was a good thing she was around, Katara thought?if not, Sokka would go on and on and get everyone in trouble.

07. Pseudo

Zuko claimed that he was the Fire Lord?s heir to prove his power and protect Lee, but he knew the old man was right?he was a traitor and a fake.

08. Tardy

Aang was a hundred years late to the war, but he was determined to restore the balance and end the conflict.

09. Drumbeats

The festival?s drumbeats were enticing, but Katara tried to urge caution?the Avatar was here is disguise, after all.

10. Schism

The world was divided, the Fire Nation against the others?a schism that the Avatar had to end.

11. Last

Aang put off learning firebending because it was hard to find a friendly teacher . . . and because he was scared of hurting someone he loved again.

12. Innumerable

Iroh and countless Fire Nation soldiers laid siege to Ba Sing Se for 600 days, but it was Azula alone (and Mai and Ty Lee) who finally captured the city.

13. Temp

The Northern Water Tribe was a cold place, but Katara and Sokka felt right at home . . . sort of.

14. Archaic

Katara hated Pakku for insisting he wouldn?t teach her waterbending because she was a girl.

15. Save

Katara was glad she had been interrupted before she could use the spirit oasis water to heal Zuko?s scar?because she used it to save Aang?s life.

16. Ephemeral

The girl in white giggled and ducked away, and Aang followed, determined to find out who she was.

17. Parenthesis

(Mai would never admit to anyone that she?d had a crush on Zuko since the first day she?d met him . . . but she was going to take advantage of having him now.)

18. Footnote

If Azula had her way, Zuko would be little more than a footnote in Fire Nation history, a mention of how NOT to do anything.

19. Skip

Aang tried to skip ahead to the actual firebending, but in doing so, hurt his best friend badly?and that was when he learned to take the lessons in proper order.

20. Sonic

The air reverberated as the assassin shot off a bolt of blasting energy?from his forehead!

21. Hopscotch

Sokka didn?t approve of Aang delaying their mission to play games with Fire Nation students, but Aang knew that what he learned here would be invaluable . . . and what they learned from him could change their lives.

22. Fob

Toph fobbed wealthy Fire Nation people . . . until the one last prank turned into something deadly.

23. Epoch

The defeat of Fire Lord Ozai and the end of the war ushered in a new era of peace and prosperity for the whole world.

24. Apparel

Sokk

2. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Nicely done!

3. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    AVATAR!!!! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

You've really captured the fun of the series, and the wonderful balance between the characters. Love it! :D

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, YES! I am so glad to see you tackling Avatar for this month. :D

Eccentric: A little nuts is putting it nicely. [face_laugh]

Regenerate: An awesome look at the whole concept of the Avatar! Very nice. :D

Ramble: [face_laugh]

Parenthesis: Nice way of handling the prompt! :D

Apparel: Of course he did. [face_laugh]

Companion: Zuko and Iroh is one of the best relationships explored in the series, and I loved the way you handled that here. [face_love]

Parallel: Very nice! :D

Twist: I am in love with your Zuko sentences. He had an amazing amount of character growth and exploration in a cartoon that a lot of live action films find wanting, and you capture that perfectly. :D

Cracks: And her madness at the end was showcased wonderfully here, as well. :(

Minutes: [face_laugh] Loved the vaguely shipper references. [face_mischief] :p

Decutient: [face_laugh]!!

Wonderful sentences! =D=

~MJ @};-

5. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    mrjop2: Thanks!!

Idri: :D Thanks!! Glad you enjoyed :)

Mira: Thanks!! Well, after the awesome prompts, how could I not? :D I love Zuko [face_love] I think he grows the most throughout the series?plus, he just so dang fun to write :D Thanks!!!

bend these to the beat of me

01. Earth

The earth was a part of her; she could sense it, feel it, move it in ways she couldn?t do with her own life.

02. Air

Aang loved nothing more than being up high, flying through the air under his own power or Appa?s; though the Avatar was a master of all four elements, air was his first and would always be first in his heart.

03. Fire

Fire burned?but it was also heat, and light, and love, even though it took Zuko three years and physical and emotional pain to learn that.

04. Water

Katara had always felt as though water was an intrinsic part of her makeup?and then discovered, one full-mooned night, that it really was?and that it could be controlled.

05. Energy

Aang had learned the four elements, but commanding another?s energy was the hardest thing yet.

06. Awaited

The Avatar had disappeared a hundred years ago, but Katara couldn?t help hoping that he would choose now to return and save the world.

07. Bond

Appa was Aang?s very first real friend, and they had a bond that would keep them going, even through their trials.

08. Gifted

Katara had talent, even Pakku could see it?and he knew that he would be a fool to turn her away.

09. Pursuit

Zuko would follow the Avatar to the ends of the earth?capturing him was the only way the prince could restore his honor.

10. Grasp

Aang knew earth was the opposite of his natural element, but he just couldn?t grasp how to control it?until Sokka needed him, and he had no choice.

11. Raze

Iroh razed the outer wall of Ba Sing Se?and then, years later, finally took the city?back from the Fire Nation.

12. Flood

The wave stood high above the walls of the Northern Water Tribe, then crashed down upon the Fire Nation Fleet, leaving few to tell the tale.

13. Armada

Zhang thought that the largest armada in the world would do the trick?and he didn?t live long enough to realize quite how wrong he was.

14. Avarice

Sozin?s desire for power plunged the world into a devastating war that would last a hundred years and end with his name as a curse upon his own peoples? lips.

15. Outcry

After Azula took Ba Sing Se, there was no public protest, no outcry of dismay?Long Feng and his ilk controlled the emotions of the city far too well.

16. Lighten

The comet?named after Sozin, who had once used it to wipe out a nation?light the sky, and firebenders around the world felt its terrible and awesome power.

17. Conflict

Aang wasn?t sure what to do: follow the advice of his past lives, or remain true to his own conscious.

18. Ameliorate

Zuko knew it would take years to undo the damage his ancestors had caused, but he was determined to make the world a better place.

19. Scars

Half his face bore evidence of his father?s cruelty, but no one else could see the scars Ozai had left on Zuko?s soul.

20. Tea

There was nothing Iroh liked more than a nice cup of jasmine tea?except maybe a good game of pai sho.

21. Avail

Iroh would not fight his brother for his own sake, but would stand up to him to protect Zuko?to no avail.

22. Bend

As the Avatars before and the Avatars to come, Aang could bend earth, fire, water, and air?but unlike the other incarnations of himself, he could also bend one thing more: energy.

23. War-torn

The Earth Kingdom, more than anywhere else (except the Air Temples, perhaps, who lost everything in one well-timed attack) suffered the most, and as Zuko traveled alone through the war-torn country, he began to regret the damage his people had inflicted.

6. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    These are so lovely! I have a serious need to go rewatch a certain series now. [face_love]

Fire: Yes! THIS! This little inner battle was a core of Zuko's struggles, I think - and even with Aang's fear of harming others with fire. [face_love] All of your sentences pairing up element to bender were splendid. :)

Raze: I love'd the contrast of the change in Iroh here. [face_love] Another dear character. :)

Armada: I seriously fought the urge to stick my tongue out at the end of that one. Ha! :p

Scars: This one made a queasy feeling deep inside of me. No child should have to go through that - Ozai's character truly was demonic, and you captured that in so few words here. :(

Tea: Iroh is awesome. [face_love]

Tutor: [face_laugh] You captured the light and beautiful group interaction here, alongside the more heavier sentences that were here. :D

Battle_line: Oh . . . Ow, ow, ow . . . :( :_|

Favor: So much complicated royal play touched upon, in just a few words. :oops:

Moon: [face_love]

Familial: Wonderful job capturing their relationship! :)

Unity: And a perfect wrap. =D=

~MJ @};-

7. redder

redder Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2011
  8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Mira: Thanks!! I love Zuko (and I love how easy it is to give him some drama :p ). Poor kid has been through a lot :( Zhang . . . is just an idiot :p And I agree, Iroh is awesome :D Glad you enjoyed!!

redder: Thanks!

be mine, my funny Valentine

01. Miracle

The water from the spirit oasis had saved Aang?and Katara didn?t care that he had blocked his chakra; she was happy to have her friend back.

02. Dearly

Ursa knew she shouldn?t have favorites, but Azula was distant, and Zuko was so carefree and loving; she couldn?t help thinking of him as her dear little one.

03. Push

Push and pull, in and out?waterbending followed the tides.

04. Between

Mai never thought she would have to choose between Zuko and Azula; Azula knew, but she had never thought that Mai would betray her.

05. Knowing

The monks knew much and saw much, but they didn?t predict the devastation Sozin would bring to their kind.

06. Coax

Iroh had to coax Zuko little by little to open up and become the man he was meant to be.

07. Unlikely

The Avatar and the Fire Lord?an unlikely combination, yet best friends.

08. Flatter

It was Sokka?s way to flatter and woo, but Suki loved him best when he put aside his shell and was just himself.

09. Court

Sokka knew he wasn?t good enough to court a princess, but he couldn?t help falling for Yue?and he thought that maybe, just maybe, she wanted him, too.

10. Worthy

Zhang didn?t think Zuko was a worthy opponent?but he had to learn, over and over again, that the prince was more than he appeared.

11. Hesitant

Toph wasn?t sure she wanted to spend the day getting mud and makeup splashed on her at will, but after some gentle coaxing from Katara, she agreed to visit the spa.

12. Yield

Ozai?defeated, powerless, a mere shell of his former self?had no choice but to yield to the Avatar, even though it cost him everything he had left.

13. Remember

Kya had been killed when Katara was a little girl, but she never forgot her mother, especially when she became one herself.

14. Familiarity

It seemed that they spent half their time being chased across the world by Zuko?but when it was Azula chasing them instead, the gang longed for the familiar sight of the prince?s warship.

15. Opposites

She was water and he was fire, but they both raged?opposites, and yet more similar than either would admit.

16. Tokens

Kya?s necklace?which, Katara learned later, had been Gran-Gran?s?and the one Aang made kept Katara company when she felt afraid.

17. Evoke

Seeing Zuko?s flames evoked the memory of hurting Katara, and Aang was afraid to try.

18. Ananke

Zuko told his father that it was the Avatar?s destiny to take the Fire Lord down, but deep inside, he wondered if he said that only because he was afraid to face his father himself?afraid of what Ozai would do . . . or afraid of what he would.

19. Temptation

Sokka knew he shouldn?t drink the cactus juice, but he was so thirsty . . .

20. Realization

Aang saw the birth of Hope, and he knew that he had to give that to the world.

21. Letters

The letter from their father was tempting, but Katara and Sokka knew their duty was to see Aang to the North Pole.

22. Accept

Ozai couldn?t accept Zuko for who he was?but Iroh did, and Zuko loved him like a father.

23. Fervid

The gang search for Aang, looking everywhere they could, desperate to find him before the comet came.

24. Awake

Aang couldn?t sleep?the invasion was only a couple days away!

25. Shine

Azula was her father?s favorite, shining brightly in his eyes like the sun.

26. Blush

When the Ember Island Players re-enacted Katara and Zuko?s encounter beneath Ba Sing Se (how did they KNOW about that?), the two slide apart, avoiding ea

9. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I love seeing this updated so quickly. :D Yikes, but where has February come and gone to? 8-}

Unlikely: One that's been more than once, it would seem. [face_love] I adored this sentence. :D

Worthy: YES! A definite fist-punch moment to be able to read. :p

Hessitant: I'm with Toph on this one - the spa is a whole exercise in discomfort. IMO. ;)

Remember: Awwww. [face_love]

Familiarity: [face_laugh] Too true! [face_laugh]

Opposites: [face_love] This was up there for me in this set - not for any obvious reasons, or anything. :p

Ananke: Chilling, beautiful sentence. [face_love] =D=

Accept: Aaaaaaand I told myself I would stop faving all of the Zuko sentences, but that's proving to be difficult. :p I love Zuko and Iroh's relationship, and you perfectly explored that here. :D

Dog-house: Classic! :D

Endearment: Either way, Sokka is in for pain. :p

Reconcile: [face_love] So many warm and happy feelings . . .

Porcelain: The needles of doom are not to be triffled with. :p

Devotion: Of course. :p

Very nice job! Again. =D=

~MJ @};-

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Mira: Hopefully Zuko and Aang will turn out better than Roku and Sozin :p Zhang is an idiot :p I take it you?re a Zutara shipper? :p I always thought that it was silly that Zuko didn?t take Ozai down in that moment when he could have?when he had his swords and Ozai was defenseless?but that it had to be that way more to save the storyline than anything . . . so I decided that Zuko was hesitating :p Go ahead and favor the Zuko sentences?I do :D

Last set! This time (in an effort to explore other characters :p ) I actually only have a couple sentences with Zuko.

muchly, on the subject of the letter 'm'

01. Measure

Sokka used his finger to measure distances on the map, trying to calculate the best time for breaks on their journey through the Fire Nation.

02. Midnight

It was the middle of day, but for the firebenders, it was worse than midnight?the sun, and their firebending, was totally blocked.

03. Mild

Katara looked like a mild-mannered young lady?until someone (usually Sokka) got her mad.

04. Message

Zhang closed the scroll with a snap?he was Admiral Zhang now, and he could now use the navy?s resources to capture the Avatar.

05. Mock

Sokka mocked Aunt Wu?s predictions, but no one?not even his own sister?would listen to him.

06. Mischief

Aang could be serious when the situation called for it, but he was capable of getting into all sorts of mischief.

07. Murder

Aang sobbed over Giatso?s skeleton?the Fire Nation had murdered him, and it was all Aang?s fault.

08. Mull

Sokka mulled over the situation, but Aang and Katara decided to just forge ahead and ignore him.

09. Minion

Mai and Ty Lee would never consider themselves Azula?s minions, but the princess, for all that the deadly duo were her best friends, did.

10. Malevolence

Azula was as beautiful as her mother, but her deadly powers and determined attitude gave her an air of malevolence that sometimes scared even Ursa.

11. Melancholy

Zuko was melancholy after he left Iroh?he didn?t know exactly why, but he knew tha things got better when he rejoined his uncle.

12. Moniker

Sokka tried a couple different names for the Fire Nation assassin before ?Combustion Man? stuck.

13. Maintain

Earth was his most difficult element; Aang worked hard to get to the day when he could maintain three pebbles spinning through the air.

14. Muse

Sokka considered beautiful women his muses; a room full of them inspired him to continue his haikus.

15. Malady

Katara wasn?t sure what had made Sokka sick, but he was already hallucinating?and it was getting on Katara?s nerves.

16. Mettle

Katara might look like a weak little girl, but she was made of pretty strong stuff?and she was a master waterbender, to boot.

17. Mortuary

The path through the mountains to Omashu served as a tomb for the two lovers who had struggled for peace.

18. Malice

There might have been a kind bone in Azula?s body, but it was buried deep?as far as anyone could tell, she was full of malice and fire.

19. Mess

Appa?s shedding was causing a mess?but, Katara learned quickly, it was worse than just giving the boys another way to fool around.

20. Mediocrity

Surrounded by all the powerful benders, Sokka felt just mediocre.

21. Mimicry

Azula and the girls could mimic the Kyoshi Warriors enough to fool the Earth King, but they knew they would never fool the Avatar and his friends.

22. Majesty

Aang never would have guessed that his crazy friend Bumi would one day become the King of Omashu.

23. Mecca

Ba Sing Se was the jewel of the Earth Kingdom, a mecca for craftspeople, artisans, and visitors from every corner of the kingdom.

24. Moral

Aang?s past lives were advising him to stop the Fire Lord in a very perman

11. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I do favor Zuko and Katara together [face_blush][face_love] - I started reading for Avatar before I watched the series, and the stories I read featured those two. [face_love] Personality wise, I think that they'd mesh seamlessly. But I do like Mai, and I could like Aang with Katara in a few years. I don't know . . . putting them together at the end of the series just felt wierd. Very wierd. o_O And that's a lot coming from me - it's hard to squick me out with pairings, I adore crack!shipping. :p

Mild: There's nothing about that girl I would call mild. [face_laugh] But that's normally a provoked change from her, as you mentioned. ;)

Minion: A nice look at a fascinating group dynamic. =D= I almost feel bad for Azula, in a way - that girl has some serious issues. :(

Maintain: Very nice! I liked the more elemental feel with this one - Earth is Air's opposite, so it makes sense that he'd have a hard time mastering it. How ironic is it that Fire should be the easiest one for Aang to master after Air? :p [face_thinking]

Muse: Best corny Sokka scene, FTW!

Mediocricy: Oh, Sokka! [:D]

Might: Very nice! =D=

Meaning: A great 'face-palm' moment for Aang. [face_laugh] :p

Masterpiece: And I think that that is the perfect way to end all four of these sets.

Beautiful job with these! =D=

~MJ @};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.