main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Avatar: The Last Airbender] Guide Me Home (Ursa/Hakoda, canon compliant) COMPLETE (more art added)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Qwi_Xux, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    O hai Qwi! :p [:D] Yeah, it's always nice to talk to someone from the old fanfic crowd. :D

And thanks for the clarification on both points. :) As I said, they're nothing too major that would distract the reader from enjoying your fic, but they were noticeable to me. I always sort of assumed that Kanna was Katara's maternal grandmother, thanks to the alliteration of their first names - Kanna -> Kya -> Katara. But your explanation that Kanna gave the necklace to her daughter-in-law makes sense, too - maybe she wanted to share the Northern Water Tribe tradition with her? And you're right, there's a viggie idea right there... :p As for Aang, well, it does kind of stand out that he's hardly named. Of course he's counted among friends, but c'mon, he's the freakin' Avatar! :p If Toph is mentioned specifically and he isn't - well, it just stood out to me, as if he was deliberately left out. :p But you're right, it's not his story, it's Ursa and Hakoda's story. And it's not a big deal, anyway. I'm just a detailist who likes to nitpick. :p

2. Qwi_Xux

Qwi_Xux Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    NYCitygurl-Thanks!

Mar-Haha, that's all right; I'm a picky reader, too. :D I did just go through and reread the whole story, (since I'd written it over the space of a year, but had never reread it myself) and while I was doing that, I edited it. (Nothing huge, just a few word changes/spelling errors I came across.) I also went ahead and just added Aang's name (and a couple of others) to the "friends" section in the epilogue so that I could be perfectly clear he and a few other specific people were there. (Because in my head, they TOTALLY were, LOL, and I imagined them there and everything...but you're right; I do want it to be clear to everyone else that they were there, too!)

As far as the Water Tribe names, there are quite a few that have Ks in them or start with K. As far as Katara's mother and grandmother's names, that has an explanation. When Mike and Bryan (creators of the show) first named Katara, her name was actually Kya. Then they found out that the name Kya was in use in another fandom, so they decided they needed to change it. For a couple of weeks, they called her Kanna, but they weren't really happy with that, and then one of them was like "how about Katara?" and that's the name that stuck. So when it came time to give her mother and grandmother names, they recycled names they'd previously had for Katara. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.