main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [Avatar: The Last Airbender] Who wants to go penguin sledding?

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Lord Vivec, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Lady_Jade

Lady_Jade Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004
    No way was M. Night passionate about this movie! If he was he wouldn't have gotten the names wrong and he wouldn't have messed up the basic theory behind bending! The part in the movie where the guards get freaked out that Iroh was "creating fire out of nothing" was ridiculous! The Fire Benders make fire out of nothing all the time in the show!! I mean, what was with that? Everything was horrible. If they insist on doing the second season they need a different director, different writer, different producer, and more training for the actors.

But what makes it even worse is that Michael and Bryan were co-producers of the movie! How could they let this happen?? :(

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    From what I've heard, Mike and Bryan kept making suggestions that M. Night just simply ignored. They really aren't pleased at all with the final product, nor are most of the people who worked on the original show.

3. Lady_Jade

May 22, 2004
    Oh I'm sure. I think we all should just disown the movie and pretend it never existed.

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    DisContinuity FTW!

Since the movie went against everything the TV show developed, I am not surprised the original team is not happy.

What I meant about Shyalaman being passionate for his film - passion does not equal a good product. For example, Uwe Boll films. Boll is indeed very passionate about his films, but they all momentously suck. So yes, I'd say that Shyalaman was passionate about the film (I actually quite liked the cinematography at times; he has a decent eye). Maybe he was a little too passionate, wanting to do everything his own way and put his stamp on the series. He insisted on writing that terrible script for one thing. If he had gotten someone else to write the script (like, maybe, the original creators?), it would probably have been a lot better. It's like he loved the material so much that he wanted to make sure that he did everything himself - and the reason the film sucks is because he had a skewed view of the source material and was too focused on doing things his way.

5. Lady_Jade

May 22, 2004
    Ok, I see your point. I agree he should have known when to ask for help. *sigh*

This for sure calls for an Avatar marathon to erase bad memories.

6. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I think there's definitely some Running the asylum going on here too (Idri - tvtropes! :p ).

And, I agree with what everyone else said.

7. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    TvTropes! TvTropes!

...TV Tropes... [face_hypnotized]

(I really need to stop linking to that comic, it's happened way too many times to me that I know it's completely and utterly true :p )

To get us off the sour topic of the You-Know-What, what do you guys think of The Legend of Korra and how it might affect Avatar fanfic? We don't really know much about it at this point, so speculate away! :D

8. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Unfortunately, I'm not all that excited, especially as it's after the original series rather than before. I don't like far-future stories because I don't like the characters I love dead (even of old age).

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Spoilsport. :p I don't think you've told me that one before, but I could have guessed, knowing how much you despise bittersweet endings. ;)

I think it will be interesting. I like "what comes after" stories, and I'm actually kind of glad that they're not doing a follow-up with the Gaang because their story is essentially done (except for the "sequel hook" concerning Zuko's mother in the very last episode).

One of the big questions is how much did Zuko manage to change in the Fire Nation? [face_thinking] Or will they still be partially the "enemy nation"...?

10. Lady_Jade

May 22, 2004
    Huh, this is the first I've heard of any sequal. It could be interesting to see the changes that has happened to the world, though like NYCitygurl said, I'm not that big a fan about future shows where my favorite characters are dead.

I would much rather them do a couple more follow-up episodes where they clear up loop holes, like the whole plot-line about Zuko's mother.

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Feel free to call me Nat, by the way :)

Yeah, I'd love to get a canon answer on that (in the mean time, I'm contenting myself with Zuko-finds-Ursa fanfic :p ).

Idri - I haven't? But, yeah, not my thing. I'm not reading the Legacy comics or the third Jacqueline Carey trilogy for that reason (though Cobra and Raven post spoils for the latter, and I'm glad I stopped).

12. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Personally, I don't get it (sorry, Nat :p ). It's not like death automatically = UNHAPPY ENDING FOR CHARACTERS GRR! because it's going to happen to them sometime unless they're immortal (which I'm glad the Gaang is not, as immortality is usually badly dealt with in fiction, I find). I'd be happy to hear that the Gaang had a happy, productive, long life. :p

I have no problem reading/watching series that take place long after the original one. Besides the new series/story/whatever isn't going to be about your favourite characters anyway, so what's the big deal? *shrug* If the world is interesting enough and I want to see it further developed because I'm engaged in it, the I'd say go for it. Besides, characters can get old very fast if they're used too much, so sometimes I like to see other characters being used and a future-based story is a great place to start.

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    If you're not aware, more information on the new series has been released. Check it out here and here.

Personally, I think they're going in a great direction and they're setting themselves up for some really great storytelling ideas. :)

Spoiler highlighting in case you don't want to know anything:

I think Republic City is definitely intriguing and I love the idea of anti-bender movements. I wonder how the Avatar will fair in a world where she'll be mistrusted and hated. Also, I like the idea of staying in one city. The creators showed that they could have really good city intrigue and mystery in the later portions of Season Two. The Ba Sing Se arc is one of my favourites from the original, so city intrigue on a larger scale would be more than welcome!

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Nah, I spend too much time missing the old characters. Even in the Tamora Pierce books, when Alanna and crew are still around, I get all crazy because it's so different from when it concentrated on her 8-}

Though if I'm interested enough (I will read spoilers), I might give this a shot.

I did think it was very interesting how they skirted around the movie. If they liked it, they would have said so.

15. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh look, another A:TLA thread for me to post in. :p *waves to everyone*

I'm a fairly new fan for this series, having only watched the series (and subsequently the film) to see what the outrage was all about... :p I instantly liked it, as I like anime a lot, although it took me some time to get used to the "American cartoon for kids" bits (like Sokka's humour and such :p).

As far as ships go, I'm definitely a Zutara fan. :D It would fit perfectly, storytelling-wise - the first hint of closeness between Zuko and Katara in the Ba Sing Se prison; then Katara's reluctant acceptance of Zuko in Team Avatar; then Katara's forgiveness in "The Southern Raiders"; and finally their battle against Azula where Zuko saves Katara by almost sacrificing his own. They also have a lot in common - Zuko is not a typical Fire Nation bloke, and Katara is pretty fiery for a Waterbender. And Mai/Zuko was such an emo-fest anyway... :p

Kataang for me had no real chemistry in the series - Aang's love for Katara was more like a prepubescent crush, whereas Katara's feelings towards Aang were always very motherly, she was like a big sister to him. It felt forced, in a "the main female protagonist must always end up with the main male protagonist!" way.

In short:

[image=http://images2.fanpop.com/image/quiz/310000/310173_1257108355048_400_300.jpg]

felt like

[image=http://application.denofgeek.com/images/m/twentythings/Leia_Luke_Kiss.jpg]

:p

As for the film... well... :p It was absolutely terrible, of course, but in a weirdly fascinating way. :p It felt like between Aang getting out of the iceberg and the Siege of the North nothing really happened. Utterly unmemorable. I didn't care much for the whole "racebending" uproar, but having Fire Nation as primarily Indian felt just wrong. As Jello pointed out in the JCC thread, Fire Nation is a lot like the Imperial Japan. If it were up to me, the ethnicities representing the four nations would be:

Fire Nation - Japanese
    Air Nomads - Tibetan, but the white Aang in the film didn't bother me (apart from the fact that he couldn't act to save his life :p)
    Water Tribe - Native Northern American/Inuits
    Earth Kingdom - a mix of mostly Chinese, some Indian, South-East Asian, Southern Americans (for the Swamp people and the Sun Warriors) and Arabic (for the Sandbenders)

So yeah... :p

16. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Well, the movie was disappointing, but I am kind of excited about The Legend of Korra.

17. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I got to chat with Dee Bradley Baker a lot at CV, and he is SO excited about Legend of Korra. He said he's seen the first episode, and ranks it as like the best cartoon episode he's ever seen.

18. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Is there anyone else going to to write a Last Airbender fan-fics? I enjoy reading them the most.

19. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    I had an idea for one, but nothing too special.

Plus, I don't know how many stories I can have at once.:p

I don't like this whole Korra thing. Some series just need to end and if they really wanted to pick it back up, they should have picked it up when the characters were older or give us some more background of the spirit world because when Aang went to the spirit world and met Ko, I was like SAY WHHHHATTT?:p

-b

20. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I understand that. I am to busy to write an Avatar fanfic myself.

21. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Revising the last statement, I have a good idea for a Last Airbender fan-fic but I don't know if I could handle doing it alone. I will have to contemplate on it. If anyone interested in collaborating with me on this story, I might consider doing it. The biggest concern for me about writing an A:TLA fiction is the eastern element to the series. Including coming up with names. I will have to think about this and see if I want to take another yet another project like this.

22. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    On a random note, my boyfriend bought me the Art of Avatar book. Am trying not to drool over the pages.

23. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Scan. Post. NAO!!!

:p

24. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Of course it figures that the ONE CHARACTER I want a better picture of isn't in the book. :(

But I'm super happy that there's all the Ember Island Players characters, since I'm tempted to make an Ember Island Player Katara costume.

25. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I just read that the Legend of Korra is only going to be a mini-series or a 1 Season series only.

Bummer. That's not enough time.

At least, why don't they at least make an animated movie of A:TLA that takes place after the series. Inuyasha had several animated movies. I would think A:TLA would deserve a few itself.