main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [Avatar: The Last Airbender] Who wants to go penguin sledding?

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Lord Vivec, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Plz. [face_batting]

Who was it that you wanted to see in the book, Mi?

I've heard of that, mrjop2. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet; sometimes miniseries can be better than a big, bloated story arc over several series, but the original wasn't like that - it got better as it went along. I think I'll wait and see how they pace the story before judging whether it would have been better as a several-series... er... series. :p :)

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Fewer episodes will mean better, tighter story arc and fewer (if any) filler episodes. A:TLA got a lot better after the first series, but in all series there were weaker filler episodes.

And I'll rather take a smaller series with all episodes being of very high quality, than a long series with half of the episodes being mediocre.

3. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Mar, that sounds like a familiar argument from somewhere (and I agree with you :) ). :p

4. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Gee, I wonder where... :p

Seriously, I'd LOVE a long series with ALL the episodes being excellent, but that sort of thing never happens in real life.

5. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Mhm. You're right, there's weak episodes in each series (one being with the most and the worst, IMO). But series three was pretty good in that I didn't mind the filler episodes (well... except Nightmares and Daydreams, that one bugs me for some reason ) and there weren't too many of them. Maybe that's why I like it the best. [face_laugh] Oh, and Zuko had some awesome moments. [face_peace] :p

6. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I actually liked Nightmares and Daydreams. :p Especially the nightmares part, and particularly the one in which Aang forgot his maths. :p But the best thing was the line at the final dream: "No, Firelord Ozai. YOU'RE not wearing any pants!" :cool: [face_laugh]

I didn't like The Beach much - it felt too much like a typical American teenage romcom (especially the "party in the house when parents are out" bit was facepalm-worthy). And The Great Divide was pretty dull. But I agree there weren't any really bad episodes, and even the filler ones were watchable.

7. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Okay, that line was funny, but I still don't find the episode very good. :p Watchable, of course, but not awesome. :p

The more I think about it, I think the movie to the one series only format will be a good thing. Maybe they realized that they should at least to try to make things tighter? Though sometimes filler episodes fulfill a purpose, other than just being a filler episode - sometimes you need to breathe before they move on to the next big thing. See the movie on how that went really, really wrong. :p [face_laugh] ;)

8. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Eh, the entire film between the discovery of Aang in the iceberg and the Fire Nation attack at the North Pole was one big filler, it was so unmemorable! :p I swear I don't remember anything between those two scenes (maybe except for the visit to the Southern Air Temple, when Aang finds Gyatso's skeleton). :p

Oooh, and I've just found out that the film is coming to Slovakia (in 3D too!!1!1!11! :p). The translated title is literally "The Last Ruler of Wind", which makes me :oops:. It will also be in Slovak dubbing, because they do that to all "kids'" films here. I'm seriously considering going to watch it just for fun, even though Slovak dubbing usually sucks, but in this case the original performances are so terrible, the dubbing might actually improve them... :p

Now tell me, am I a masochist or what? :p

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    You're a masochist. [face_plain]

When I was in Montreal, I was considering going to see it just because it would be interesting in French Quebec dub (or delightfully painful)... but then I didn't feel like tormenting myself that much and there's much more interesting things to do in Montreal then that. [face_laugh] ;)

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Avatar Yangchen. I'm supposed to be making her costume for Comic-Con since my friend is doing Kyoshi. Heck, there's not even a proper picture of Kyoshi or the previous water Avatar in here. :(

11. Lady_Jade

Lady_Jade Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004
    You know I'm planning on being Katara in an upcoming anime convention being held in Milwaukee, but I have NO idea where to start. Anybody got any suggestions?

12. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    Start with the Hair loopies.:p

And I loved The Beach. It let us know the characters were still young and had to balance out lives. Loved Zuko in that episode.

-b

13. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000

A good start would be to decide which outfit you want to do. Also, how good at sewing are you?

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I think Katara's costumes are really quite simple (well, except for the fur coat). :) I'd imagine Fire Nation regalia would be much harder to translate to real life.

15. Lady_Jade

May 22, 2004
    I'm pretty sure I want to do her water tribe outfit, but the thing that sucks is that I can't sew at all. So at this point I either have to learn to sew, buy pieces that look as close as I can get them to, or buy a costume.

16. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Don't you have a friend/relative who can sew?

17. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I know people sell cosplay outfits on ebay, and I'm sure you could find a Katara one if you can't sew. The only downside is cost and it might not be the quality you want.

18. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    I saw the first advertisement for The Last Airbender on DVD and Blu-ray coming November. They are promoting it as if it was the Summers biggest blockbuster. They're giving it the 2 disk special edition treatment. They are acting like it did outstanding at the box office and is expected to go like crazy! I nearly rolled of the chair laughing. They'll be lucky to sell even a half million copies of the movie.

Again, the only way I'll see the next movie is if they put a new director behind the camera. Yet people are going to give him another chance when it comes to The Night Chronicles movie. I think The Last Airbender was the last straw for me for giving M. Night a chance at making a half way movie. The nail in the coffin was definitely when he announced that he striped his idea for Unbreakable 2 and planned to put it in the third movie of the Night Chronicles. I really think he missed his calling as a politician, because he is very good at ignoring what people really want.

19. Lady_Jade

May 22, 2004
    So totally random topic idea.....

Right now I'm working on an ATLA crossover, and I was just wondering what ya'll would cross it with if you were to write one.....

20. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Ummm, well, I'd probably first do Harry Potter, and then because my Muse is quirky and somehow manages to get this crazed ideas to work, I'd do something less...er... traditional.

Hey, if anyone where to do a A:TLA/Hamlet or A:TLA/Life on Mars crossover, it would probably be me. :p

21. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I think the filler episodes were sometimes good and sometimes bad. I wasn't a big fan of Dreams and Nightmares (except the last line, that was pretty hilarious, like Mar said) but I actually really enjoyed Ember Island Players and The Beach (or possibly I just really enjoy Zuko :p ). One series for Korra could either be good or bad; no idea here 8-}

I have no idea about crossovers either 8-}

22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    WANT. [face_love] Seriously, just imagine Aang meeting Gene Hunt... OMG... 8-}

:p

23. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Exactly, Mar. Exactly. :p

24. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    Wow, that's tough. I don't know how you would do a crossover with the Last Airbender.

I had an idea for a ATLB fic but I just don't have time for it.

25. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I don't find crossovers any harder than any other kind of fic, personally. :p I'd say start with a character from one fandom, then bring in another (and it really could be anyone) and just see how they'd interact by being in the same room. That's usually a good starting place. :) Some fandoms are easier to work with because the characters are similar. I'd say A:TLA and Harry Potter would be pretty easy since the main characters are all kids/teenagers and have magical backgrounds (for the most part, sorry Sokka :p ) and similar characteristics and attitudes. Other fandoms... such as Life on Mars... would be a bit more of a stretch. Since Mar's extravagant response to me joking around about an A:TLA/Life on Mars crossover, I have now envisioned what would happen should the Gaang show up on Gene Hunt's patch. I have to say, I don't think his response would be very TOS compliant, all things considered... [face_laugh] :p

Mar, you need to quit encouraging my insane brain to come up with this ridiculous stuff. ;) I still have that 11/Amy/Rory/Jane Austen fic to write. :p