main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Det, MI Avatar....

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Scooby_Wan_Kenobi, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2002
    Seriously, a decent movie, but OMG not the next coming of christ for crying out loud.

I thought the Star Trek reboot was much better and by far my favorite movie of last year.

2. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I liked Avatar better than Star Trek, but I was a bit disappointed as I'm a huge fan of James Cameron-meaning my expectations were way too high. The effects were outstanding. I kept trying to look everywhere at once, but that was also a problem because I didn't care so much about the story, I just wanted to see what the bug in the upper right part of the screen was doing. I thought that whole save the trees stuff was way too heavy handed (and I like trees, most of the time).

3. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    It will be interesting to see how AVATAR does against THE HURT LOCKER in the award
    runs in March, especially since James Cameron's ex (Kathryn Bigelow) directed THE HURT LOCKER,
    and both films are up for Best Picture nods.

4. huttese1138

huttese1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    You and are I going to fight over that Star Trek crap. You and Mike. I don't get it. ... But I agree about Avatar. A few I was entertained by in 2009:

Taken
    District 9
    Zombieland
    The Hangover
    Killshot
    Sherlock Holmes
    Pandorum
    Ong Bak 2
    Inglourious Basterds

5. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Feb 22, 2002
    Are you serious? District 9? Now that was overhyped crap......

Inglourious Basterds, now that was 5 star entertainment.

And again, Star Trek ruled!!!!

6. lavagrrrl

May 16, 2002
    The Hurt Locker is already winning awards over Avatar. I've been hearing that the odds are good that it will take Best Picture, leaving Jim Cameron with Best Director.

I haven't watched The Hurt Locker yet, but we've had the DVD for about a month (Netflix). I'm a fan of Kathryn Bigelow, especially Near Dark and Point Break. Jim Cameron worked on Near Dark with Bigelow and it had a bunch of Jim's regular actors in it: Lance Hendriksen (Terminator, Aliens), Bill Paxton (Terminator, Aliens, True Lies, Titanic) and Jenette Goldstein (Aliens, Terminator 2, Titanic). Near Dark is an awesome movie, by the way!

This year I loved Up, and Up in the Air.
    I enjoyed The Men Who Stare at Goats (goofy, but fun), and the already mentioned Star Trek (though the shaky camera stuff made me puke).

7. huttese1138

Mar 9, 2002
    You already have the Los Angeles stamp (I know my own kind). I hope we can bring you back to the good side in August.

8. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    1) Star Trek, the franchise, is good stuff. It's idealistic sci-fi and you have to make some assumptions, but it's good stuff. I'm especially a fan of Deep Space Nine and the true ensemble cast that got put together. It was so good that supporting characters seemed like main ones.

2) The Star Trek remake movie blows. It blows monkey goat. They took Star Trek, raped the storyline, wrapped it in 90210/Twilight packaging, and threw it out there. No thanks, I don't need shiny pretty crap in my Star Trek. Also, f' them for blowing up Vulcan and Romulus. I will say that Simon Pegg and Karl Urban were pretty awesome and nailed Scotty/Bones.

3) Avatar is a joke. It's a special effects exhibition, with the cliched old "natives and nature" B.S. storyline to string it together.

:D

9. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Feb 22, 2002
    I am not a trekkie, but I am a fan of Star Trek, so.....

All you whiny, can't do this or that, short, stink bloated, Ohura can't kiss Spock, Deep Space Nine loving dorks can go cry into your Romulan Ale. :D

The Star Trek franchise was dead and JJ revived it, completely rebooted and changed any and all storylines from here forward.

So quit whining and enjoy, or watch your DS9 reruns, :p

10. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Feb 22, 2002
    Welllll, I did hang with Dennis Quaid at a VIP only concert of his....where everybody else thought April and I were "in the business" as they like to say. :D

aaand...the good side of what?!? Overhyped crap movies?!? I'm glad that guy didn't make the HALO movie, it woulda been a bunch of South Africans with bulgy eyes and bad SFX.

11. huttese1138

Mar 9, 2002
    Someone could have come to me out of the blue, read this line and asked me, 'Which one of your friends said this?' ... I would've only needed one guess. Good stuff, Mike.

12. darkladyhannasolo

darkladyhannasolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2002
    I thought Avatar was way overrated. I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed when they see it on blue ray or DVD. It just not a good storyline. Now Star Trek was good. Even though they are stealing stuff from Star Wars. I mean a black hole to destroy a planet. A death star to destroy a planet. Both planets are peaceful and so on.

It will be interesting how they handle the alternate timeline in the sequels. I have to admit I'm a big fan of the actor playing younger Spock. I love him as Syler in Heroes.

13. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Feb 22, 2002
    He's just mad that the only midget in Star Trek looked like him. :p

14. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    Knew that one was coming. :p

No, the franchise was stagnant because a couple of B-named f'tards (Braga, Berman) pissed away movies and entire series with just utter crap. Star Trek as it was would still have worked, it was just so long since we had seen it. There should've been a movie with Q. Insurrection was a giant vortex of bad ideas and suck that absolutely crippled TNG movie momentum. And given two decent series premises, both Voyager and Enterprise just ended up turning out pure drizzling ***** because it stopped being about Star Trek and started being about stupid mindless attempts to pander to the masses.

Which was exactly what this new Star Trek movie was as well, only in a much flashier package.

15. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Feb 22, 2002
    Ah, duh....

Isn't that why you make a movie? To pander to the masses?

Good thing you don't make movies....no one would want to see them!

He's an angry elf. :p

16. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    My movies wouldn't win Oscars because I'd have already personally insulted, on as many different levels as possible, most of the Academy. And 90% of the actors.

Probably some grips, too.

17. huttese1138

Mar 9, 2002
    For 95 percent of Hollywood? Sure. But it's those 95 percent that produce craptastic flicks like Old Dogs, Year One, Knowing, Paul Blart and Couples Retreat year in and year out. I don't mind the occasional summer blockbuster, but as a whole the masses are stupid and if every movie was made to pander to the them, you and I wouldn't be movie fans at all. Thankfully, there are still directors in Hollywood that are committed to making art how they see fit, masses be damned.

18. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Feb 22, 2002
    Come on man...don't make sense. Let me mess with Mike.

19. Neutron_Force_45

Neutron_Force_45 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2004
    Avatar was 'entertaining' but 'Star Trek' was flipping Awesome!

20. c3500BC

c3500BC Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2008
    Up until this point,I always thought 'Trekkies' was the best Trek film,but the JJ Abrams reboot was pretty entertaining.Definitely one of my favorite movies of last year.If I could have chosen anyone to direct a SW film,other than Lucas,it would have been Abrams.

21. lavagrrrl

May 16, 2002
    If anyone wants the Oscar tally:
    The Hurt Locker: Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, Film Editing, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing
    Avatar: Cinematography, Visual Effects, Art Direction
    Up: Original Score, Animated Feature
    Star Trek: Makeup

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.