main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Trip, May 22, 2013.

?

should we the weird placeholder avatars go away y/n

1. y

14 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. n

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. idk

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    <trip>   jello one thing about the new boards that i do not like is how people without avatars have ugly placeholders
    <trip>   it is distracting and tbh worse than having none at all
    <trip>   please fix this ok
    <Jello>  we can change them but you'll have to make your opinion known in comms to see if others agree with you
    <trip>   oh whoah i did not think that this was actually a thing that was fixable
    <trip>   now i am trying to decide if i actually care that much

apparently i do.

2. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    The female placeholder always confuses me - I keep thinking its Spike from Cowboy Bebop.

thesevegetables likes this.
  3. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    I rather like the placeholders. I also like the Yahoo placeholders but not the Twitter or Facebook ones.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    There actually has to be some variety of placeholder due to the way the boards are coded, meaning the alternative is basically a big empty square.

5. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    well i was thinking that maybe the square could be removed entirely if it's empty. like how it was on the old boards.

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It cannot, again due to the way Xenforo is coded.

7. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    oh. well hm now that you say this i see that jello said "we can change them [to be different placeholder avatars]" and not "we can change [it so avatars don't show up at all]" which is what i was glossing it as. well, thanks for explaining how it works anyway. :)

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I think we should have placeholders that look just like the ones we have now... except every so often, they randomly become something else. Just for like, a moment. So like, say someone's got the usual X-Wing and they load a page and suddenly BAM! there is Queen Jool as your avatar. For like, a moment. Or until you load the next page. Enough time so that you've registered it and assume you've been hacked by the basest of internet fiends.

And if you report it or something the mods will be all "Hey man I dunno. Make sure your settings are correct."

And eventually people with placeholder icons will get so annoyed they'll change their avatars. PROBLEM SOLVED.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Is there a way... that if we dislike the placeholders... that we can replace them with a random image of our choosing?

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    What if we dislike other people's placeholders? Can we replace those with an image of our choosing?

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I am not a weird placeholder avatar so will not be voting.

12. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Assign avatars by a yearly lottery.
    Five users get an avatar.
    The rest get shot.

Emperor Von Schweetz and Zapdos like this.
  13. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    coffee this is the best plan.

14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I just have to ask... if the people who haven't uploaded an avatar are happy with the appearance of the default placeholder avatars, does it really matter? :p

15. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    The Xenforo developers believe that your avatar is more important than your actual username, so there's no way to NOT have a giant box above your name in your posts.

I made the current default avatars because the original ones were incredibly lame. If you don't like the current ones, believe me, it can actually be worse than this...

16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007

Yeah, for evidence of that look at what we had on the temp forums. Unspecified gender had a default avatar of a giant question mark, male had a giant male symbol, and female had a giant female symbol. Really silly looking. Grimby did a great job on the default avatars here for people that just don't want to provide their own custom avatar.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    And if you want an avatar and are lacking in the art department, we can always resurrect the icon request thread.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  18. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Or just, you know, google stuff.

19. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    No, actually, I think this solution makes the most sense.

20. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    As a former icon artist, I approve of this.

21. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Shot in the dark here:

Would there be a way to write a script that finds all placeholder avatars on the page (probably via the image URLs) and applies style="display: none;" as inline CSS to the surrounding "div.avatarHolder"? This would not necessarily need to be in XenForo itself, but perhaps a server-side script that runs after the page is generated or even client-side JavaScript.

Is this feasible? (Probably not, but thought I throw a random dart and see if it sticks.)

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    How about putting a solid colored box in as your avatar? Or anything that makes you happier than our demoralizing default avatars? Instant results!

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    From a purely technical standpoint, possibly; but from a logistical standpoint I could see it causing issues, particularly in older browsers on older hardware.

And possibly newer browsers, depending on how it was implemented.

24. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    It's not a very realistic option, as you'd also have to re-code the style sheets to compensate for the border and spacing around the image itself. Not only that, but threads aren't the only place avatars show up. They literally exist just about everywhere a username is mentioned. So you'd really have to go in and re-code all of those different areas.

So that's an awful lot of work for not a whole lot of benefit. Most people are happy with the default avatars. Those that aren't upload something else. I think I even saw one person with a clear transparent gif as their avatar.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I think we should convert all avatars to 3D. I mean 2D is so 8bit peeps.

eht13 likes this.