main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi Ave!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Adraar, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Adraar

Adraar Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2017
    Greetings!

After watching The Force Awakens, I fell in love with Star Wars again. After watching Rogue One, I fell in love with the Empire again.

There's not too much to say about me. Lore buff, history nerd, fantasy geek. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  2. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    You mean "Salve", right? Another Latin scholar, sweet. Welcome to the forums.

Adraar likes this.
  3. Adraar

Adraar Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2017
    Thank you!

"Salve" would be if I was welcoming a single person, I thought.

4. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Ave means "Hail" as in Ave Maria.
    So, did you take Latin in high school as I did, or are you a life long fan of all things Greco-Roman?

5. Adraar

Adraar Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2017
    Hail was what I was going for. I'm nothing if not pretentious.

Just a fan. I grew up on sword-and-sandal epics, which branched out into a love of the Roman Empire then of the Byzantine, Holy Roman, German, Russian, British... and then, Galactic. ;)

6. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    Nice! Read a whole lot of mythology as a child, and I am a quasi-expert in Greco-Roman history, mythology and culture. Yeah, Galactic Empire rocks, hence the fanfiction writing binge within the last couple of weeks. Do you have a favorite series within SW itself? For example, I am a fan of the Thrawn trilogy and the Corellian trilogy.

Adraar likes this.
  7. Adraar

Adraar Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2017
    Mythology eh? Favourite deity? And I've been on a binge myself recently, although doing crossovers between the Galactic and Roman Empires - fun! I've already meandered over to the Fanfiction forum.

Thrawn trilogy is definitely up there, although Thrawn read more like an intelligent author trying to write a pretentious character more intelligent than him, rather than a realistic genius. I'd say Dark Empire is my favourite series, although they're comics. :p

8. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    I love Dark Empire, that was a great psychological study of Luke if he went rogue to save everyone (except himself). The Thrawn trilogy were my first SW books as a young teen of 14. I have started writing Thrawn related romances (My oc, Minerva Hektor is no Sue, think Clara Oswald meets Lady Sybil from Downton Abbey).

My favorite deity is Athena/Minerva. When my sister and I were little, we used to play Greek Gods and Goddesses and I made Athena the Greek Goddess of wisdom, warfare and.... (American) football. :)

9. Adraar

Adraar Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2017
    They got a bad rap - after the prequels, since nearly everyone loved it back in the 90s - for bringing back Palpatine, even though Lucas himself suggested that. Glad to see another fan! Clara is probably my favourite Doctor Who fan, and I could see her being a perfect match for Thrawn since Thrawn can be like the Doctor sometimes.

Have you read Neil Gaiman's American Gods? I think American football would make for its own deity. ;)

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  10. Adraar

Adraar Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2017
    *Doctor Who character, even. I meant to say nice to see another Doctor Who fan then changed it. Oh well.

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Somebody just lit the GrandAdmiralJello signal.

Welcome, Adraar. Always room here for another history buff. I like your avatar.

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  12. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Hello! Welcome to the boards. :) Let us know if we can help you find anything?

13. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    Hello there :ben:

and

Welcome to the forums. [:D]

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ave means "salute" or "hail" and "salve" means "hello" (literally: be well). They're both singular imperatives -- plurals would be avete and salvete respectively.

Oh, and if you're using Palpatinus for Palpatine in your signature, you need to use the vocative case: Palpatini.

And finally, I just hope you're aware that it's not a Roman eagle in your icon, but a Nazi eagle.

15. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
  16. Halle Dray

Halle Dray Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Hello there!!

17. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Welcome aboard. Love the avatar.

18. theForceChangesYou

theForceChangesYou Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2017
    You are in the right place, Ardaar. Welcome!