main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Average citizen's view of Emperor Palpatine

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I picked up a copy of Star Wars Insider #65 tonight, as was interested in the short blub about Emperor Palpatine in the Star Wars Galaxies article.

It states:

"Known to citizens of the Galactic Empire as a frail, beloved old man, few know just how vile Palpatine truly is."

If this is what the majority of the population thinks during his reign, I wonder what they would have thought of the Rebel Alliance when they overthrew Palpatine during the Battle of Endor?

Terrorists?

I wonder how long it took to convince the entire population of how truly Palpatine was a despot, tyrant, dictator, etc...

2. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    I think that Imperial citizens did think of the Rebellion as terrorists, or at least below the law. They were outraged when Palpatine was killed. I'd be guessing that the truly fundamentalist Imperials never truly believed that Palpatine was really evil. This just goes to show how many people were brain-washed by his propaganda.

3. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    Indeed... "Wedge's Gamble" has a small scene in a museum where they show some Imperial propaganda about the destruction of the second Death Star and the death of the Emperor.

From memory, it's all about that the emperor was onboard an 'ore extractor' of sorts, and pleaded with the Rebellion to stop their baseless attacks, and offer a hand of kindness and forgive them. In the end, he bravely sacrificed himself to destroy a large part of the rebel fleet.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Gatherer: How dare you speak such slander about His Majesty!?

Mud-slinger... ;)

5. magneto

magneto Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    hey burrie, DO you know which chapter that was?

6. Alderaanian_Jedi

Alderaanian_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2002
    In the years following Palpatine`s uh...Emperorship?, I think most people thought of him as a savior, from the corrupt Senate and the hopeless burecracy of the rotten Republic. But when the Emperor started tightening his grip, with the destruction of Alderaan and the disbandment of the Imperial Senate, people began to understand what he truly was.

7. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    There was also a scene in one of the Wraith Sqn books in the museum. Either Iron Fist or Solo Command.. I think it was SC, but don't quote me....

8. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    In the Corellian trilogy, Han thinks how there were celebrations in the streets at Palpatine's death. He lies to Thrackan that 'even his enemies mourned the death of such a noble enemy'! But it's clearly stated he thinks otherwise!

9. Jedi_Andrew_Solo

Jedi_Andrew_Solo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 5, 2002
    The citizens sure were partying at the end of ROTJ SE. One would get the impression they didn't like him either.

10. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    In Wraith Squadron: Iron Fist, a character was introduce (I forget his name) that was there and helped slice in the broadcast of the explosion. He said the celebration was pretty much confined to that plaza and composed largely of Rebel sympathizers; Imperial forces quickly put a stop to it.

11. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    "brain-washed by his propaganda"
    Brainwashed? Palpatine is a good man! He's doing his best to keep the rebel terrorists away from us.
    "Imperial forces quickly put a stop to it. "
    Way to go!

I like the Emperor.

12. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Remember Metalorn?

The people there were so brain washed they thought the Emperor didn't HAVE any enemies! :D

13. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Hmm, the average citizen's opinions must have varied; remember, there's been countless references to riots after the destruction of Alderaan (e.g. JAT).

14. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    <<Brainwashed by his propaganda>>

Or just brainwashed by the Emperor, as Corran thinks about the placement of the Lusankya.

He was a hidden leader though, so it isn't suprising they knew little of him. I can't see him appearing at press conferences to discuss his strategies and policies.

He did go to a film premiere in 'The making of Baron Fel' though.

15. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    Strange that there were huge celebrations on Imperial Center (Coruscant) after the Emperor's death.

Speaking of those celebrations, was that statue that was toppled a statue of Emperor Palpatine?

16. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Well, I would think it would depend on where you're at.

On planets with a large human population, sympathetic to the Empire and very patriotic, they would mourn. If you have a planet that is very oppressed by the Empire, especially one with non-human populations, then you'd have parties.

But on some places, it might be in secret.

17. Alderaanian_Jedi

Alderaanian_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2002
    Actually, I`ve read somewhere that the riot we saw in the ROTJ ending was a local one, and was squashed minutes later. But don`t quote me on that one...

18. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Palpatine brought order to galaxy. Some may have found his methods a little harsh, but he was just being cruel to be kind. When the Rebels killed him, they brought years of chaos and bloodshed upon the galaxy. Trouble is, some people just don't know their place. If they'd let everything be the galaxy would have been a safe and secure place to live.

19. Nom Anor

Nom Anor TFN Books Staff star 4 VIP

Mar 4, 2000
    To this day, I still view Palpatine as the Mr. Rodgers of Star Wars.

The cardigan of evil!

20. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    well, to get an answer.. i found a guy on the street and asked him what he thought about Palpatine

Man: "Emperor of the who?"

Me: "The Galactic Empire"

Man:"Who's in the Empire?"

Me:"Well, we all are. We are all Imperials, and Palpatine is our Emperor"

Woman: I didn't know we had an emperor. I thought we were an autonomous collective.

Man: You're fooling yourself. We're living in a dictatorship: a self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes--

Woman: Oh, there you go bringing class into it again.

later on:
    Woman: Well, I didn't vote for him.

Me: You don't vote for emperors.

WOMAN: Well, how did he become Emperor, then?

ME:
    The Dark Woman of the Lake,...
    [angels sing]
    ...her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Sithcalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that he, Palpatine, was to carry Sithcalibur.
    [singing stops]
    That is why he is our Emperor!

DENNIS:
    Listen. Strange Sith women lying in ponds distributing lightsabers is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

21. Chewbacca of Kashyyyk

Chewbacca of Kashyyyk Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 1999
    Love this thread and angle.

Was the average citizen better off under Palpatine?

Did he make more money, pay less taxes, what about the cost of health care and education.....and did his interns like him or love him?

Obviousy Palpatine was doing something right or he would not have been kept in office. very interesting thought G

22. CommanderSesfan

CommanderSesfan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    What you thought of the Emperor would probably depeond heavily on what region you lived in. Those in the Core worlds would have been more likely to look on him as a benevolent ruler (at least until the suppression of Ralltiir and other things like the Ghorman massacre), while those in the Mid-Rim would probably look on him much as many people see our government today: just another tax-gathering institution. Palpatine did most of his recruiting for grunts and line soldiers in the Mid-Rim, along with placing the heaviest tax burden on them. The outer rim, made up of many non-humans and independently minded individuals, who bore the full brunt of his hatred, would have been happy to him in return.

23. Gotterdammerung

Gotterdammerung Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    If I remember correctly, Madame Director Ysanne Isard of Imperial Intelligence had a squad of stormtroopers open fire upon those celebrating the news of the Emperor's death. If a security force of stormtroopers was enough to destroy the demonstrators, then support for the Rebellion must not have been very widespread or very open. People still held allegiance to the Empire.

24. Master Chbel

Master Chbel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2000
    From memory, I believe it is in the same Wraith Squadron book that had the museum. (Solo Command?, where it is mentioned how some of Coruscant's citizens started to celebrate the Emperor's death--and were crushed within days.

The average citizen away from the core of power, may not have cared one way or another. The only sources of information these people ever get is Imperial.

Palpatine is the man who brought order to government after the Clone Wars. The Empire is more stable now than the Republic ever was. The markets are open (so, the taxes might be a little higher than previously), travel is safer, goods are more likely to arrive at their destination...

25. DarthKyp99

DarthKyp99 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2001
    the propoganda scene was in the krytos trap i thought. not wedge's gamble

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.