main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Avid Express

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Zaphod Beeblebrox, Nov 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zaphod Beeblebrox Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 1999
    Has onyone here worked with Avid Express?
    Is it better that Premiere?
    It should be, cause it costs about $1700.
    What I'm trying to ask is if it is worth the money or if I should go on doing my editing on Premiere.

2. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    Are you having any problems with premiere? Even if it is better, if what you have works fine, there's no reason to upgrade.

And I have no idea.

3. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    I think you would be hard-pressed to find things on Avid that you can't do in Premiere. Sure, there will be differences, the odd feature, more refined workflow, but at the end of the day a cut is a cut, and DV PAL is DV PAL, no matter what you use.

The quality of the final product will be NO different. The journey you take to get there is the only thing that might change.

Nick Long is the man to ask though, he knows this stuff. His weapon of choice is FCP these days, as far as I know.

Pete

4. Antilles01

Antilles01 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 5, 2001
    hmm, what a coincidence, I'm currently taking a class in, guess what, AVID Express. Although its close to what some professinals use (its really the bottom tier of the AVID programs) you should probably just stick to Premier, unless you are planning on becoming a professional editor and you would like to edit commercials etc for clients, then you would benefit from having it. My Express instructor says that the program was designed by 'human interface retards' so its not the most intuitive or easy program ever made, but it does have a lot of features that would help when editing a feature, short, or commercial etc for clients. Hmm, i should really have my instructor write an article about it......

5. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    As Antilles01 pointed out, everything is in the wrong place with AVID Express (isn't is spelt Xpress? - dunno).

Premiere is far more user friendly, and very similar in design to Final Cut Pro.

example: I was cutting a promo for a client last week and there were parts where she wanted various things done (graphics composited in the background, luma keys and such). She said "oh it's stuff that we can do in After Effects". now at this point I went "Ah Crap, i haven't used AE for ages, what was it you wanted done".

she explained and I was like, "oh that's easy, you mean this?" and did an example in 30 seconds right in front of her using FCP.

Her jaw dropped.

The point i'm making is that there were a few things i'd not done using FCP that she wanted, but I HAD done them in Premiere before, therefore i knew how to do them using FCP without having the bother of importing/exporting from After Effects.

If I can do that having used Premiere previously, then it goes to show how great Premiere can be.

If i had been using AVID Express, I'd have done it in AE. 'nuf said!

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long
    Seasoned Fincal Cut Pro Junkie

P.S. any more probs, just ask, or pm me.

6. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    I've always used Avid, and my video professor seems to prefer it over Premiere. But then again, he's a little on the eccentric side. You know, the kind that never washes their hair.

7. NickLong

Sep 29, 2000
    LMAO M-C you just described the kind perfectly!!

but there's a major difference between AVID and AVID Express

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

8. Zaphod Beeblebrox

Aug 26, 1999
    Is FCP avaliable for Windows?

9. Master_Comyn

Nov 17, 2000
    Forgot to mention that. We use Avid Xpress DV

10. NickLong

Sep 29, 2000
    FCP is only available on the Mac i'm afraid.

that's probably one reason it works so well, they don't have to worry about cross platform, so they can develop it better for one.

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

11. Zaphod Beeblebrox

Aug 26, 1999
    Well, then I could as well get Avid Xpress.

It would be cheaper than getting FCP ;)

12. NickLong

Sep 29, 2000
    true, but why bother if you've got Premiere!

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

13. Zaphod Beeblebrox

Aug 26, 1999
    I have heard that once you've gotten into it AX is actually easier to use than Premiere...

14. NickLong

Sep 29, 2000
    yeah, but the thing is, it's not like any other program, so it's harder to transfer skills.

that's what i was trying to say.

but as you pointed out, you've only heard. everyone says the same about any program.

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

15. Aprentize

Aprentize Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    why change program now anyway when PT is moving along so well already... isnt it?

16. NickLong

Sep 29, 2000
    PT??

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

17. Zaphod Beeblebrox

Aug 26, 1999
    PT = Padawan Twilight

18. NickLong

Sep 29, 2000
    ah right. totally confused me there, i was expecting some sort of title with an "of the" in the middle! :p

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

19. LawrenceS

LawrenceS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    here is the deal if you can do what you need to do on premiere don't switch. But if you need to up to the next level do final cut pro (if you have a mac)you can buy it at apple.com for $299 with the students discount.

20. Master_Comyn

Nov 17, 2000
    "Padawan of the Twilight"

Hehehe!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.