main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Avoiding conflict? I don't think so!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Saint_of_Killers, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Despite what anyone's personal feelings are, which they are entitled to BTW, please refrain from bashing EU. As Guinstastia already pointed out, it's licensed by LFL, so please don't just call it trash. :)

2. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    TRASH

:)

3. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    the ability to speak does not make one intelligent, nor does the ability to get licensed by LFL make something better than a waste of post-consumer recycled material....

4. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Stay on target.

5. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    One mans trash is another man's treasure. No need to diss it :)

6. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    If I knew what women thought, maybe I could get a date? ?[face_plain]

//Alone, so alone, on Valentines Day? :(

PS: No EU bashing for the sake of EU bashing. [face_plain]

7. EmpressPalpatine

Mar 31, 2001
    If I knew what women thought, maybe I could get a date?

well, if you tell them you are gay, they'll write lots of stories, and they'll spend a lot of time thinking about your sex life... [face_laugh]

8. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    "You have a right to have homosexuals in your fanfics, but sexual acts are not permitted. These are the rules. Quit trying to stir up drama you monkeys."

Damn you. :p

I was told it was homosexuals period, not sexual acts. I don't think those really belong in the fics on this board.

9. OrgulloDelPuma

OrgulloDelPuma Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2003
    He'd like to know how the people who write slash, which seems mostly to be made up of girls from 16-25 and are presumbably straight, could possibly know about what goes on in the minds of gay people....

My question is, what are 16 year old girls doing wasting their time writing homoerotic stories? Their parents should be concerned.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    My question is, what are 16 year old girls doing wasting their time writing homoerotic stories? Their parents should be concerned.

And, pray tell, why should their parents be concerned?

11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I Picked a DaRTH mAUL tIE for a buck at Spensers.. trash or Treasure??

:p

12. EmpressPalpatine

Mar 31, 2001
    depends what shirt you wear it with....

13. Bithysith

Bithysith Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 6, 2000
    Their parents should be concerned.

Again, "slash" doesn't mean explicit sexuality, and I wonder if you would worry about these girls if they were writing heterosexual romance stories...

14. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    DarthSapient...

To me, it's a little strange to be advocating inclusion of material that really has never been a part of the Star Wars universe.

Only though your eyes...other people see things differently.

While I have stated that I don't think the JC is the place for erotica, I can't see why homosexuality is a problem. Same sex relationships have existed in many great civilisations - civilisations that GL draws his inspirations from.

Perhaps it is the age group of the JC that makes homosexuality such a big thing - it really isn't.

Your views are extremely discriminative. There are many things that don't exist in the films, yet are still told. Hey - I don't agree the Emperor should be resurrected, after all, he did die in RotJ. That doesn't mean it can't be done.

Homosexuality is not about sex; its about people in same sex relationships. There's a big difference.

EP,

but, Ternian, what about a woman of color who is gay??? I notice Lucas did not include anyone like that in any of his movies...

According to DarthSapient, women of colour have no place in the SW galaxy. That's just the rule since they never appeared in the movies. [face_plain]

15. SPECTOR

SPECTOR Jedi Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    Um, just a question, if this board does not allow pictures of nudity, intercourse, or really anything questionable, why is unusual that the owner of the site do not allow stories of sex related material.

Also, why do people feel the need to broadcast their sexual orientation over the net?

I would also point out that all fanfics should have disclaimers, like what the story has in it, just like movies do. If I don't like reading about homosexuals and I know a story has those situations in them I won't read it. simple.

16. Charis

Charis Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 29, 2002
    This site does permit some het sexual activity in fanfic as seen in the example earlier in this thread.

The question is why equality is not given to homosexuality. Even fanfics containing no sexual but some emotional homosexual material appear to be barred from this site and that is just an extreme policy IMHO and therefore it needs some questioning.

EmpressPalpatine To answer your friend's question, I have gay friends that I'm very close to. It's been a while since I've written anything but I get my friends to proofread and comment on my work before putting it out in the public domain.

17. Ternian

Ternian Jedi Youngling star 4

May 16, 2000
    Charis, the JC is really not a forum for erotic fanfic. However, I agree that if homosexual stories are banned, so should heterosexual stories too.

Also, why do people feel the need to broadcast their sexual orientation over the net?

Yes. Be it hetero or homo...

I would also point out that all fanfics should have disclaimers, like what the story has in it, just like movies do.

This is not a bad idea - for all fanfic. Seems logical.

18. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002

According to DarthSapient, women of colour have no place in the SW galaxy. That's just the rule since they never appeared in the movies.

Watch TPM again.

kthxgdbye

19. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    You have a right to have homosexuals in your fanfics, but sexual acts are not permitted. These are the rules. Quit trying to stir up drama you monkeys.

Actually, that's the problem. We do not have the right to have homosexuals in our fanfics.

20. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    First let me say that while there has been a lot of bickering at times, it's heartening to see some reasoned and civil debate of the issues going along.

I do have a scenario of sorts to put out here that I'm hoping will provide a different view of this.

The Fan Fiction forums, and moreso the FF Archives, are basically places where you 'submit' stories for inclusion publication on the site. Like all places that put stories up, there are certain things that govern what is published. And as all sites are at their freedom to do, they can place a restriction on the type/genre of stories that are published.

This issue directly relates to 'slash', and people are saying that it is discrimatory to prevent these stories from being published on this site.

What I would like to ask though is what if a site decided that they would only wish to publish action stories, and all those that deal with romance, personal inspection and more were not going to be published on their site? Or if they decided that all stories have to include Han or Leia (preferably both) before being put on their site (and from memory, there are some like this)? Or ones that deal specifically in 'slash' only, and any heterosexual romance stories won't get published? Are these examples all examples of a form of discrimination? To a degree, yes. But are not the owners of each of those sites allowed to make such a decision?

In saying that for this site, the posting/publication of slash material isn't allowed, how different is it from saying that any Luke/Mara fics can't be posted on a certain site? The decision isn't passing a judgement on the exact issue at hand, it's saying that this is something that doesn't neccessarily have to be posted here.

Also, the calls that discussion of anything related to homosexuality is strongly discouraged on the forums as the overall judgement is that this is something that is "wrong", is totally incorrect. Across pretty much every forum there is no direct 'rule' to stiffle all threads that involve homosexuality. There have been threads on many forums that have dealt with this (oh, and to clear up something earlier, the thread in Lit wasn't locked because of the subject matter, it was because after warnings against it, users were deliberately abusing the thread, and so that particular discussion thread was put to rest). If there is something that appears to be this case, then bring it up wiht the relevant moderators, or even shoot off a PM to me and the situation will be dealt with. Mature and reasoned discussion is always encouraged, no matter the subject matter (keeping with other guidelines like the sexual content one).

In this particular case for Fan Fiction, instead of writing up various clauses for what forms of the genre can be included, the call has been made to just disallow 'slash' altogether. It is no indictment on the broader social issues to do with this, it is like the bans that have been made on religious discussion, the restrictions that are in place on drinking discussions, and the tighter ones on drug discussion. It is the decision that those particular discussions/stories are better suited to another site.

Finally, petitioning Josh if it is wished is something that is open to you. By providing reasoned and mature points as to why the decision should lie in one direction you are giving him something to consider, rather than just listening to calls of "change this". There is no guarantee that anything will change, but it never hurts to give things a try, and present things in a rational format.

(And sorry about the length of this, I was trying to fit a lot in).

21. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Kadue, if you missed the counter to your arguement in the Fanfic Resource Poll let me restate it here.

If another site decides to only publish obidala or slash or left-footed bothan stories that is their choice. however those are for the msot part, targetted sites. That is they are searching for only a part of Star Wars Fandom, be it fans of Obidala, slash, or left-footed bothan stories.

The JC however is a mutlifaceted site that covered pretty much every aspect of SW fandom(and even non SW topics).... except same sex relationship fanfic.

Even more, this blatent exclusion seems to violate several of the rules as set forth and which, I assumed, everyone here agreed to abide by. Even the staff.

At that point I think it's very fair to question, very fair to attempt for change, and very fair to point out to Josh that while a small minority of posters want to stay spoiler free, close too two third would like or have no problem with SSR fanfic.

It also strikes me as odd that Josh's stated reason for refusing to allow something is that it might cause people to flame him and others.
    I thought we had a method for dealing with that called the Mod Squad.

22. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Besides, homosexuality is NOT about sex. Is all heterosexual romance about sex? I don't think so.

23. OrgulloDelPuma

OrgulloDelPuma Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2003
    Besides, homosexuality is NOT about sex. Is all heterosexual romance about sex? I don't think so.

Uhh yes. It's an oxymoron to say that sexuality has nothing to do with sex...:roll:

24. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    One thing, if a 16 year old girl or guy is writing erotic stories, no parent should be concerned. Considering the fact that sexuality is a healthy thing and people explore it in different ways.

Two, as to that one girl's friend who asked how would a straight guy or girl know what goes through a gay man's mind?

Well, I can tell you, speaking from my own mind of course, that the same crap goes through my mind that goes through anyone elses when it comes to love, sex, romance, relationships, the weather, the half empty bottle of rotten orange juice festering in my fridge and even what the hell happened to half the socks I put in the washer and dryer.

No one goes anouncing their sexual orientation here. But in the purpose of some threads, it is mentioned. Such as this thread or specific threads in the senate.

I'm not barging into some random thread on the JC and saying: "hey, I'm bi!".

But in a thread where it does come into play, yes, it is mentioned.

Just as you can be quite sure of a topic is religion or the church, you'll get people in there mentioning they're Christians or Jews or whatever.

25. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Kadue: what about where homosexuality plays a part in a larger story? Say, for example, this site only wanted action stories, but one writer's excellently written action story had suggestions of a romance between Obi-Wan and Mace (just as an example)? I can't say I agree entirely with your reasoning on this. And farraday's right (wow, it really does sting when you say that), this site is multi-faceted, it's not for any specific aspect of Star Wars. Being possibly the largest fan site in the world, I would hope it caters to everyone's tastes, providing they stay PG-13.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.