main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Avoiding conflict? I don't think so!

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Saint_of_Killers, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I'm a Christian who tends to lean on the conservative side of things, although I haven't really come to any firm decisions on all the aspects of homesexuality and homoeroticsm. However, I do believe sex belongs in marriage only (that goes for heterosexuality too). (So shoot me :p )

However, despite all that I'm against this rule. Why?

Well fan-fics, like any work of art or literature, have among one of their purposes the portraying of reality or real issues.

Homosexuality is a reality, therefore I think it should be allowed in fanfics, just subject to the same rules as heterosexual fiction.

But in the end it's up to the people who run this site. I don't read much fanfic, either slash or heterosexual. I won't leave this site no matter what the decision is, but I do hope it is made on the side of Art and Reality.

And that's my position.

2. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Is PMing someone a (publicly) bannable link that the person privately and willingly requested, against the rules?

If it is then you could IM the link to the person. Also, how could TFN ban you for privately sharing (asked for) information with another person?

This is just theoretical. I don't read fan fics (or even the EU), and I was just hypothesizing.

3. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Even if they ask for it PMing it privately is bannable.

Of course the fact you did so is unlikely to come to light, but it is nominally bannable.

4. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    Anyone here just want to talk about something called "Star Wars"? Anyone, anyone at all?

I'd love to. And I'd love to explore the deeper meanings behind Luke and Wedge's relationship in fic form.

Is PMing someone a (publicly) bannable link that the person privately and willingly requested, against the rules?

I'm not exactly sure, and I would like a clarification on that point.

5. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    **Ugh** Why must we have debates of this kind of TFN? Why must we drag up unpleasant discussions about these heated and contraversal real world issues? Anyone here just want to talk about something called "Star Wars"? Anyone, anyone at all?

Our lives don't revolve around SW. We don't discuss it every minute of every day.

6. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    I say again it is bannable. However, you would only be banned if it were brought to mod attention, which is extremely unlikely if it were requested.

I however ask again if just having a gay character is bannable.

7. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    No offensive towards Conservatives is intended.

What about toward us small-c social conservatives who would just rather not air personal quarrels on national television, and think that life is nicer when people aren't swearing all the time? ;)

(More seriously, the casual slamming of Christian Fundamentalists in this thread is no more acceptable than the slamming of gays, imho. I have some disagreements with Fundamentalist theology--with Christian theology in general--but they are people, and their alternative lifestyle also deserves to be treated fairly.)

As the mod for the fanfic section, I wouldn't ban someone for having a gay character. I wouldn't ban someone for putting up a graphic scene, not without a warning. I'd edit the graphic scene and have a PM talk with the author, referring to the FAQ (I had to do that recently with an actorfic, which are also against the rules). The situation I could think of in which I'd ban is a person who decided "I hate this rule. I'm going to spam the board with these stories just to press the issue." Then the ban is for spamming. My inclination is to not do more than lock or edit, unless it's a repeat pattern.

8. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    It was my understanding that PM-ing links is permissable if the person asks for it - but then again, that may because mods don't look into PM's unless asked to. :p

[edit]

The situation I could think of in which I'd ban is a person who decided "I hate this rule. I'm going to spam the board with these stories just to press the issue."

That seems fair. :)

9. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    I had understood that PMing a link was all right if it was requested. I'm really not sure about that and wouldn't mind a clarification, either.

Although it's totally moot, since it's not being reported and therefore isn't going to make it to the bannable category, anyway.

10. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I've always assumed the policy on slash fanfic stemmed from the MPAA rating standards, where films like 'In&Out', 'My Best Friend's Wedding' and 'Miss Congenality' were given PG-13 ratings because of their portrayal of gay and lesbian characters.

Someone mentioned bestality earlier - is it true that fanfic depicting a bestial relationship is allowed? I doubt it, somehow.

11. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Will people stop saying 'moot'? I feel like I'm wisconsin.

There is no exception for asking for it, although action might be taken against them as well.

This is how I understand the issue. Although the liklihood of anyone ever being banned for sending a requested PM to someone about it is rather slim.

And once again, does anyone feel like stating havign a homosexual character by itself is agaisnt the rules.

12. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    Someone mentioned bestality earlier - is it true that fanfic depicting a bestial relationship is allowed? I doubt it, somehow.

Well would a Twi-lek and a human relationship be considered bestiality? I don't think so.

But is that what that's referring too? I can't see someone writing a Rancor/Human fic.
    :p

13. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999

It's kind of one of those things that never got addressed because it never came up here. I'll go out on a limb and say that no, that wouldn't be allowed under any PG rule. Though who has a loving relationship with a pet would be fair, so...

Well would a Twi-lek and a human relationship be considered bestiality? I don't think so.

No. It wouldn't.

But is that what that's referring too? I can't see someone writing a Rancor/Human fic.

In fanfic, I'd say, never say never on what might be written. But you can say "never" on a fic showing a human having carnal knowledge of a rancor being rated PG.

14. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    That's what I thought.

LOL at carnal knowledge comment.

15. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    But is that what that's referring too?

Just that the argument was made earlier that fics depicting bestiality were allowed, but not homosexuality.

16. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    Why don't we ban all fanfics on TFN? It's not like we're reading Pultizer-prize winning stuff here, folks. Slash, like most of the other fanfic on this site, tends to be ill-conceived and written rather poorly.

Ban that EU as well. After all, it conflicts with Georgie's original vision for Star Wars.

8-}

Before any of you lynch me, realize that I'm trying to lighten the mood here. All this talk of boycotting the site is ridiculous, IMO.

NO ONE CARES IF YOU STAY OR IF YOU GO

So stop grandstanding and making yourself to be a would-be martyr to like-minded individuals.

17. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    Yeah, but Galdriel just seemed to say bestiality is not allowed. So the argument doesn't work.

18. Bithysith

Bithysith Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 6, 2000
    We believe that banning slash is fine - stop accusing us of being 'intolerant' and every other word you can think of.

But the question is, do you think posting heterosexual romance is fine on a family forum? If it is a question of bothering sensitive people, couldn't there be readers upset by any and all sexual content? Again, those who are questioning this policy are not NOT debating the validity of slash, and are certainly not condoning posting stories of a graphic nature. It is about equal rights. If homosexuality isn't even allowed in a fanfiction, no matter how tame the reference, then everything of a sexual nature should not be permitted.
    If a male and female can be described as kissing in a fanfic here on the JC, but two men (or women) can't even hold hands in a tender way, there is something terribly biased about this situation.

By refusing to remove all sexual references in fan fic (or otherwise making the standards equal), this site is stating its discrimination of a particular sexual orientation.

19. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    e: referring to the post before the previous

It makes me think that the fanfic policy is not a double standard towards homosexuality by itself, but a decision that all portrayal of sexual variations are adult in nature.

20. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    "Sexual variations"?

21. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    so, when Han offers to arrange a Wookiee kiss for Leia in ANH, is he promoting bestiality????

i find it interesting that on a forum where the merest mention of "goatse" can incur a threat of a banning, but posting stories featuring perversions of Lucas' characters where 13 yr olds can read is ok? Or that any fiction featuring sexual activities between characters is OK? I'm sorry, but isn't the concepts behind slash against the TOS?

after all the JC is a family forum... as Liz herself is quick to point out on numerous occasions...

so, where does one draw the line?

22. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    By refusing to remove all sexual references in fan fic (or otherwise making the standards equal), this site is stating its discrimination of a particular sexual orientation.

Tis true. Why not ban any user for posting fanfic that depicts any remotely sexually explicit? I mean, I'm an adult and all, but damn when someone writes about a girl getting kissed on her bare nekkid chestal area, I get all hot and bothered. Some little punk kid is gonna go bonkers over that.

Ban it all I say, and let the mods sort it out.

23. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Slash is not permitted, and that, to my knowledge, is where the line has been drawn.

And, Han didn't say that comment seriously - he said it to irritate her. ;)

[edit] I actually think sometimes the fics here get too graphic on the 'sensual' stuff - I argued about it on the thread where it was discussed - but that's just me. :p

24. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    Wookiees are also sentients, so I wouldn't class it as bestiality. I think it doesn't seem to be the way the SW galaxy is presented in biological terms, but it's a relationship between equals if you can ignore than.

25. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I have a simple question. Haven't read every post in this thread. Too tired to read through 7 pages right now, but got through the first 3.

Anyway, the policy is mornic in my eyes. It really is. And that got me thinking.

I've seen many threads over my 4 years here at the JC in which a member talks about getting engaged, their relationship, seeks relationship help, got married, seeks boy/girl help, etc, etc. Even threads about a very awsome date they've had.

Now, I'm bi-sexual. My question is, if I started a thread asking advice about a guy or to talk about me having met a great guy and decided to get engaged, etc, etc. Would my thread be locked? Would I be banned? Warned?

I'm just really curious now about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.