main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Award Season Discussion!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    WTF is it with them and Modern Family?

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    For a second I thought this had been bumped for the Harveys. The dream lives on, I guess.

But man, you'd think there weren't any other comedy shows with supporting characters, the way the Emmys carry on.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Once again, no love at all for sci - fi.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Sorry, I'm a fan and all, but Doctor Who doesn't really deserve anything this year. This series was kind of a mess and inconsistent in quality at most.

Then again, Modern Family doesn't deserve anything either.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Well I wasn't talking about Doctor Who specifically either. There were a few sci - fi shows this year that I thought could have been worthy of some nominations (like The Walking Dead and Ophan Black to name a couple) that got snubbed too.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't care about the emmys at all, but it's nice to see house of cards get some recognition (and arrested development, though it's hard to think of it as a "netflix show"). orange is the new black is also amazing, and i'm really looking forward to more of their original programming now they seem to have the ball rolling.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

If Jane Fonda can win that Best Guest Actress Emmy for The Newsroom, then I'll be happy.

8. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Nice to see Chlumsky get some recognition.

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, I was happy to see her recognized in an understated role. Because it's not flashy but she's really funny.

As usual, the drama nominations are much better than the comedy ones. BBT, you know how I feel about that. Modern Family had a couple fun seasons but got old really fast. If you're going to nominate network shows for comedies (whereas they never do now for drama, which is too bad for Parenthood), could you at LEAST nominate Parks and Rec? Good God. So many snubs for that show.

And the mini-series/movie is yet again a category of "hey, what was some movie star in?" with a smattering of "Even though The Bible is one of the worst things ever put on TV, a lot of people watched it! We should nominate that one." I'm glad Cumberbatch got a nomination for Parade's End, but that mini-series should have had many, many nominations. Rebecca Hall was particularly snubbed while playing one of the more nuanced and complex female characters on TV in my recent memory.

The only drama thing that really pisses me off is Downton Abbey getting any nominations except the one for writing. That one was deserved, actually, and was maybe the best single episode of the show. It was probably the only time I was emotionally engaged since series 1. But not even Maggie Smith deserves her nod this year. I have never seen a show that 100% should have been a mini-series more than that one. The first series is a great miniseries. The rest of the show is nice-looking, badly written soap opera. I get that some shows are meant to be soapy. That's not the problem. The problem is that it's just bad writing, no matter how you slice it. Oh, the dialogue isn't usually atrocious, but the stories are pure nonsense. Not a fun kind of nonsense. Just a "why is this character becoming a completely different person every week to cater to the super drama whims of the show" sense. With a smattering of, "Oh my God, why aren't there ever any real consequences for anyone in this show?!". And a healthy dose of, "No, you aren't as smart and shocking as Game of Thrones for killing people off all the time. You just ran out of ideas 2 years ago."

Sorry, Chris :p Had to get that off my chest.