main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Award Shows: 54th Grammy Awards

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zaz, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Best: David Seidler's Speech

"David Seidler opened his Best Screenplay acceptance speech with light cracks about his age and how daunting it is to deliver an impressive speech in a writing category, and then turned heartfelt as he touched upon his background as a stutterer, making The King's Speech a very personal project. It was moving without being schmaltzy, just the way we like our acceptance speeches."

2. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Worst: The Best Picture Montage Bias

"For the third (third!) and final Best Picture montage of the night, the show decided to dub Colin Firth's big, final, triumphant speech scene from The King's Speech over clips of all the other nominees, allowing the movie that swept the night to overshadow even the mere images of the other nine films daring to be nominated. Come on, guys, can't you even pretend the other nominees have a fighting chance in hell?"

3. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I've read this complaint elsewhere as well. I can understand the issue, but I dunno - I actually liked how well they made the scenes from the other films blend in with the speech being spoken over the top.

4. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Best: Natalie Portman's Speech

"It was far too long, but at least she didn't pretend to be surprised. Plus, she acknowledged her fellow nominees gracefully, by saying she wished her award would be to work with them someday, and then she went out of her way to thank the Black Swan crew extensively. If you're going to talk forever, you better at least make what you have to say that classy, Oscar winners of the future."

5. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Worst: The Taped Intro

"Hosts Anne Hathaway and James Franco get edited into scenes of the Best Picture nominees so Hathaway can make hammy Black Swan jokes ("the dance of the brown duck"? Ugh) and Franco can... do a whole lot of nothing, not unlike he did for the rest of the show. For how fresh and youthful these two were supposed to be, this opening sketch was awfully stale and formulaic, and when Alec Baldwin has to show up to save your hosts with jokes about when he hosted last year, you kind of have to wonder why you even bothered with them in the first place."

6. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Best: Trent Reznor, Oscar Winner

"Always nice to be weirded out by the idols of our youth winning stuffy awards we never in our lives pictured them winning."

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Best "hilarious/awesome music award" since Streisand handed the award to Eminem.

8. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Worst: Anne Hathaway

"And not just for the horrendously self-indulgent Les Mis parody -- for everything she did. From goofily gushing over Oprah and Sandra Bullock, to thinking that shimmying in her fringe dress counted as a comedy segment, to treating her hosting gig as her own personal open mic night, we imagine she's going to be regretting taking this gig for quite some time to come."

9. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    I thought Hathaway did about as well as could be expected considering the circumstances - she was pretty much left high and dry by Franco's bored presenting.

10. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I also think she did what she could, as Franco was AWOL.

11. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Best: Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law's Banter

"Like most people, we hate awards show banter, but when it involves Jude Law ribbing Robert Downey Jr. about his dodgy, possibly hooker-in-a-Batgirl-costume-filled past, we're inclined to change our minds -- and laugh our asses off. These guys for next year's hosts, please."

12. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Worst: James Franco

"Can't remember the last time we saw a more unenthusiastic host of anything, let alone the Oscars. Franco disappeared from the show for huge chunks of time, and when he was on-stage, he resorted to juvenile humor such as dressing in drag and Beavis and Butthead-ing about how Winter's Bone sounds dirty. Hathaway was annoying, sure, but at least she was trying."

He had a 'get me out of here look in his eye', definitely.

13. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

He had a 'get me out of here look in his eye', definitely.

I don't know one person who watched the Oscars who didn't have the same opinion. He looked incredibly uncomfortable. I just roasted his new movie in the trailer park thread, god it was bad. His career is NOT on a roll.

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Bored isn't the right word for Franco.

Baked, on the other hand...

15. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I think any time you see the Academy try to be "young and hip" it backfires on them. I think Robert Downey Jr would be an excellent host especially since we are mentioning his presentation bit above.

16. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Best: Billy Crystal and Bob Hope

"Sure, Billy Crystal showing up to tell some anecdotes about Bob Hope was random and pretty antiquated in its joke delivery, but after being subjected to the botched hosting duties of this Hathaway and Franco, we were longing for the old-fashioned competence of two of the ceremony's greatest former hosts. We don't necessarily need to be rolling in the aisles, but we do need to feel like there's an adult in charge, at least."

17. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Worst: P.S. 22

"Nothing against the adorable kiddies, but tagging on a bunch a children singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" after the final award made no sense and was some really lame grandma-pandering on the part of the show's producers. What is this bush league crap, the Grammys? Get your act together, Oscars!?

18. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    I liked the singing, but I was surprised when they suddenly rocked up onto stage at the very end.

19. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Worst: Gwyneth Paltrow

"When Jennifer Hudson was so busy holding back what looked like either laughter or vomit when introducing Gwyneth Paltrow's performance of her Best Song nominee for Country Strong, we were right there with JHud. The only good thing about that inept performance was that it finally marks the end of our long national nightmare of Gwyneth Paltrow's Country Strong promotional performances."

20. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Best: Sandra Bullock Presenting

"She called Jeff Bridges "The Dude." She made fun of James Franco's General Hospital gig. She made a crack about the terrifying queen of England to Colin Firth. Is there anyone who can take such a boring presenting gig and turn it into such likable, effortlessly enjoyable entertainment? They oughta put that girl in rom-coms, we tell you."

21. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  22. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    9-11PM | MTV
    2011 MTV Video Music Awards

"The success of the MTV Video Music Awards usually hinges on the performance of a single."

23. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    8-11PM | FOX
    The 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards

For only the 63rd time in history, the TV industry will gather to hand out shiny good job! trophies...

24. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  25. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    9-11PM | SPIKE
    Scream Awards 2011

"Transformers, Tron, Harry Potter, and Super 8 are all up for Holy Sh!t Scene of the Year. Suck on it, King's Speech!"