main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards Awards 2015: A Guide

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    You know, Briannakin, I had an idea recently that might make this whole process easier, for you and for us, and would allow for more categories.

Make a survey. There are myriad survey software programs out there that are free, intuitive, and easy to use. All you would or mavjade would have to do is create it, with as many or as few categories you want, send out the link to anyone who wants to vote (or post it somewhere here on the boards), and the program will automatically calculate the results for you. You can even set the surveys to run for a set length of time. No fuss, no stress (well, not as much anyway). You could even set up one for the nominations where each question (category) is an open-ended question, and again, the program will populate the data for you.

I'd be more than happy to spearhead this if and when the time comes.

2. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    What might also be interesting, is to have a (small) number of user-suggested categories each year. As in, people suggest a bunch of categories and we vote for whichever handful the most people want to see. That way would avoid re-introducing outdated categories perhaps?

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I thought about experimenting with some programs to make this awards easier, but this awards snuck up on me. The issue with other voting programs/polls is that because they wouldn't be affiliated with the boards, people could easily vote multiple times from different computers/IP addresses, and with the limited participation we get, 1 person managing to vote from like 4 different computers could easily sway the result.

The time really wasn't why we cut down the number of categories, however, it is a plus. We cut them down because that is what most people wanted.

Like last year, we will have a after-survey and I'll remember to include suggestions on what categories should go and some ideas for new ones.

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  4. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    I like this idea!

5. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The last time we did a survey about the awards (a bit prior to the awards previous to this one) we had a very long discussion on the categories and what people wanted to see. We offered to add "fun" categories if people could think of any, but none were suggested. It was pretty much a unanimous agreement on the current categories (minus the two added this year: Canon Relationship and Original relationship).

But as Bri said, we're happy to add more/new ones if people want to do so next time.

If you are curious, see THIS post for a good idea as to what categories used to be used... it's a LOT (Some came and and went and the awards changed over time, as you will see.)

Re: Using Polls - I agree that a poll would be easier, though the voting part is actually the easiest part of the awards. And as Bri said, would be much harder to keep people from voting multiple times.

6. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Then perhaps surveys to tabulate nominations then? If only to make them less work intensive, and...maybe not take as long?

AzureAngel2 and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    We can look into it for next year, but some of the issues that arise (IE people anonymously noming all of their own fics, people noming dozens of fics) may not be worth the little bit of time saved. Plus after the first few people sending in noms, it basically turns into something similar as to counting votes.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  8. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That and a more streamlined awards ceremony. I really think the mods did a great job with last years awards. =D=

How are you guys doing with prizes? Do we have enough for at least one for each category?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thank you!

As for prizes, it's iffy. We would definitely appreciate any other prizes people could offer.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Now that we're halfway through the voting, I'm just wondering what the next step(s) will be: when winners will be announced (or if that's already happened for Before/Saga), when (and whether) a "ceremony" will happen, etc. Could you give us a lowdown on that at all, or will that info be coming once Beyond voting is finished? Thanks. :)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    We will announce all the winners (both before/saga and beyond) in the ceremony. The ceremony will happen PROBABLY a couple days/ a weekish after the beyond voting closes (just to give us a few days to double check, get organized). We will be following last year's format of announcing a few winners a day for about a week. You can find last year's gongshow Awards Ceremony here.

12. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

AzureAngel2, Kahara, jcgoble3 and 3 others like this.
  13. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I wanted to pop in and say thanks to all the hard working mods & award aids that volunteered.

^:)^

I almost feared that I missed the actual awards or the voting, due to being pretty busy in RL.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I did miss voting for Beyond. :( Stupid allergy out of nowhere.

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The awards ceremony will begin tomorrow!

Like last year, we will announce a few categories per day until we have announced them all.
    Once all awards have been announced, we'll begin with the prizes, the winners will receive PMs when it is time to choose their prize. (For how prizes will work, please see the first post of this thread.)

Also following the awards there will be a post-awards discussion thread started by the mods.

jcgoble3, JadeLotus, Chyntuck and 2 others like this.
  16. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    =D==D==D=

I can't wait to see the results!!!! :D

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  17. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    That was fast :)

Findswoman likes this.
  18. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

:eek: !
    Jitters!
    Anticipation!
    Etc.!

19. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    I shall have to get out my evening gown....oh, wait....

20. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I have my morning tracksuit...because...

1) I do not own one single dress. I do have a skirt, maybe two somewhere, but seriously, the living room does not care.
    2) I AM NATURALLY CLASSY AND MY MORNING HAIR BEATS $500 HAIRJOBS. IS THERE SUCH A WORD AS HAIRJOB?

jcgoble3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.