Awards being awarded

Discussion in 'NE Fanforce Awards Forum' started by greencat336, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I saw the list posted of the awards. I thought we were going to have a Han Solo award for fanfic???
  2. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Stories of any length and era could be submitted (emailed to Strawbary, who could forward them without the author's name to the other Regional folks). Judges could simply pick the one they like best.

3. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    we can do the fanfic award no problem I would like for us to hammer out specifics/rules for this one...

any thoughts? anyone?

aLL submissions will be sent to the awards email and I will make a site for viewing slash/voting :)
  4. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5

"Viewing slash" Hmmm, thought that the conservative powers that be on theforce.net had outlawed that form of fanfic. [face_mischief]

Rules, huh? Initially I thought we'd just throw it open and say send us your fanfic, but I guess some regulations would help.

Since they have to be read, how about a length maximum? No more than 30 pages? Just a random number, since 50 seems a bit much and 20 not enough.

Although it would be nice to have the censorship rule about slash lifted on theforce.net, since we are a part of TFN, we should probably follow the fanfic rules established over on that part of the boards (PG rating, for example)

Obviously it must be a original work, any references to other author's work (including George's) must be acknowledged in the submitting author's notes.

Must the submitted work be a recently written, never before posted anywhere story or can an author's previous works be included. I am leaning towards allowing author's previous work, just because asking for an original work to be written in the next few weeks seems a bit much.
    And I have an old story I'd like to submit. [face_batting]

5. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Im going to involve the Fanfic managers from the JC on this one because honestly this is a new category and its alittle outside of the normal FF realm that I am used to LOL

Rules I can think of off the top of my head is:
    members need to be verified by the Chapter rep they r indeed in that chapter. Other than that.... I will will a Fanfic manager give us some advice on limitations etc. ;)

EDIT: Jadesolo and VaderLVR64 have volunteered to help us out :) everyone give them a warm welcome!!! :)

YAY welcome!! whooot !!!
  6. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Welcome!

And when are you going to post on all the NE boards about the new category? :)
  7. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    when we iron out the specifics, which I am hoping very shortly :)
  8. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Hi, I'm Nat :) I'm not a fanfic mod, but I spend a lot of time there and I ran the fanfic awards last summer, so strawberry gave me access :)

TF.N policy is no slash, and the fanfic policy is nothing above PG, though if something ends up being PG-13 but not over the top, I think it's okay. No glorification of alcohol, not much violence (at least description-wise). Are you guys reading all of the submissions? If you are and have questions about what is and is not over the top, the fanfic mods can probably answer that.

How are you planning on doing this? Are fics being submitted to a group of judges?
  9. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Hello, added by strawbary as well. Have read through all the threads and not entirely sure what you're looking to do. I'm assuming this is a live awards show, not a virtual awards ike we do in fanfic?

Nat has answered the questions of what TF.N allows of fanfic and her questions would be mine as well.
  10. JadeSolo Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It took me an embarassingly long time to find this forum. :p

Leona, they're real, actual, live awards, meaning you don't have to sit in front of your computer for hours. :p

We have a ridiculously long FAQ that details fanfic rules and such, but I think if you tell people not to go above what we see in the films, they'll have a good idea of limitations.

Story length - the SFFBC writing contest gave a max word count of 10,000. Depending on how many people are submitting entries, that might be a good limit to set. Or even drop it down to 5,000 if you don't want to burn out the judges. The first three story posts of this fanfic (yes, I'm pimping a favorite :p ) is just over 6,000, to give you an idea of length.
  11. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    That's one of my favorites, too, Jade! :D

Just let me know what I need to do to help out. I'm excited! [face_dancing]
  12. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wow! Lots of folks helping out with our contest! w00t!

How about this for the rules?

Fics must conform to TF.N rules about fanfic, which can be found here

Fics must be emailed to Strawbary as a Word document attachment by March 15 (or insert other date here)

Fics should not be more than 10,000 words in length

Fics must be original to the author, who must credit any other person from whom the fic author has borrowed material

Fics may have been previously posted on the internet, it does not have to be a fic written with the past year (or however we want to say that, my wording might be a bit akward)

Authors must be a member of a North East Region FanForce. When the fic is submitted, the author must include which NE Fanforce she/he belongs to and their screenname.

Fics will be judged by RSAs and a panel of FanFiction moderators.

Fics will be posted on the North East Region discussion board.

Switching topics. A rant.

This homophobia is one of the main reasons I no longer play on TF.N fanfiction boards (I used to, long ago.) Discrimination and prejudice are against the spirit of Star Wars. And don't sing me that song about how there's no same-sex relationships seen on screen. No one goes to the bathroom, either. No one is seen writing out bills, to pay a morgage. Or paying taxes. Or doing laundry. Or going to a family reunion (visiting your stepfamily in order to find your mom doesn't count). There are no comic books shown on screen. No one is shown writing poetry or fiction novels. No one is seen reading for pleasure. No one takes a shower. No one mentions having cousins, perhaps folks in that galaxy far away don't believe in that type of relationship. Incest, on the other hand, seems to be okay.

Until the prequels, there were lots of criticism about the racism of SW, as there are no Black characters in ANH and the only main Black character in the OT, Lando, who is a scoundral and double crosses Han. And lets talk about the total lack of characters raised by married parents. Luke is raised by his aunt and uncle (not his parents) Leia is raised by her father (somewhere along the line, Mom disappeared), Han never has any reference to his parents on screen, Anakin comes from a single parent home although he is quickly removed from it, Jedi are raised in the parentless creche, the scenes with Amidala's family are cut. Should we suggest that because on screen, being raised by your biological parents is not there, that doesn't exist in the SW universe.

I also get very angry at the link between no slash and TF.N being because the site is 'family friendly' Is this to suggest that same-sex relationships are family unfriedly? What an insult to everyone who has a relative, including a parent or child, that is a homosexual.

So, you may be asking yourself, if I have such issue with TF.N having an offical policy of discrimination, why am I still a part of it? A couple of reasons. First, is the double edged sword of tolerance. Which means, if I want folks to tolerate my beliefs, I need to tolerate theirs, even if those beliefs include hate and intolerance. I don't have to like their beliefs and I don't have to pretend to like them, but they have a right to their beliefs, just like I have a right to mine. And since this is a privately owned site, the owners have a right to be intolerant. Yeah, being a liberal is a weird thing.

Second, because the little corner I play in, the Pittsburgh Boards, is GLBT friendly. We don't discriminate. We have lots of different folks on our boards, with different opinions and different lifestyles, but that's okay, because the universe is a far more interesting place full of diversity. The Empire was uniform, standardized, everyone the same race, everyone dressed the same, everyone being the same. The Republic, the Jedi, and the Rebellion
  13. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Can't disagree with your rant at all greencat, I remember when you use to grace the fanfic boards, but that's a rule that was handed down from the owners.

Are the pieces going to be posted on the boards at all? Is the way mark-ups codes handled important?
  14. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm tickled you remembered me from the Fanfic boards, Healer Leona, it was a long, long time ago. :)

I'd vote yes, the stories will be posted on the boards, perhaps the NE FF region board. So folks do need to be reminded to watch their codes, using ones that will work on the boards.

Perhaps we could have folks vote, via a poll, on which story they like best, and make that part of the final decision on who wins.

So, are the rest of the rules good? Because we really should get the word out about the Han Solo Fiction Award ASAP.
  15. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    if everyone is ok with the rules greencat has posted I thinkw e should make this announcement public.
    Also I will need volunteers to judge the fanfic as it will not be something I will have time for.

anyone?

Also I think greencat has a submission so does anyone object to her entering seeing as she made the rules? LMAO
  16. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *grin* There doesn't seem to be any objections.

So, it seems like its okay for you to go announce the Han Solo Fan Fiction Award and ask for entries. :D
  17. TRADMIC FanForce CR and President S.W.A.P FF

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    [image=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a187/TRADMIC/SW%20captions/swpalpsdoit.gif]

:)
  18. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I agree with you, greencat :) Just quoting Mr. Wise's orders (it was a big issue in fanfic a couple years ago and he had to hand down orders).

If you guys still need judges, count me in :) (and fill me in on the specifics :p ).
  19. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    NYCgurl I am pretty sure the details are all posted above, as a judge if you feel those are ok... then if you would like to be in charge of posting that , it would be greatly appreciated :)
  20. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Remember to let us know what we in fanfic can do to help. :)
  21. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    I really need a fanfic mod to take this aspect of the awards over and post the rules and monitor the submissions etc.. can anyone in fanfic do this for me?
    This new award and rules/specifics will need to be posted in the North East discussions forum.
  22. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    :oops: Fever made me crazy. Sounds good :)

And maybe it's because I'm still sick, but what do you mean by 'beeing in charge of posting that'?
  23. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    in the NE discussion forum the new award category needs to be posted in there with the rules we have outlined.
    :)
    Along with where to submit entries
  24. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5

It should also be posted in each individual city's boards, as many folks don't hit up the NE discussion forum.

25. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

star 5
    either way we need a fanfic mod to take control over this. ANy volunteers?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.