main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NV Axia's entertainment of the moment thread

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Axia_Euxine, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axia_Euxine

Axia_Euxine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2003
    This thread is for the entertainment that I run across and my reviews of same.

First up is a new TV show on Showtime that a friend of mine introduced me to.

"The L word." (TV show Showtime). This is an adult drama centering around a group of friends, most of which are lesbians. As a drama it is well written with good actors. I highly recommend it and give it a 8.5 out of 10. This show is not for the timid though. Language and sexuality are of adult nature as are the topics of conversation in the show. If it was on regular TV it would be about 15 minutes instead of an hour.

"White Stripes" (Music group) This is a band I discovered thanks to the grammys. Rather unique sound. Kind of 60's rock meets grunge, meets something...else. You really just need to hear them.

"Ginger Snaps" (movie) This movie is far better than it really should be. Its a (very) low budget horror movie that makes up for its lack of fuding with clever dialogoe and whitty banter between the two lead characters. Ginger and Bridgette are sisters who are both very dark and disturbing. A series of mutilated dogs in the neighborhood turn out to be the victims of a werewolf and Ginger becomes its latest victim. Bridgette tries to save her sister while Ginger begins to embrace the change. The movie is rather good and has a lot of dark comedy in it. If you can look past the low budget I recommend this movie. 8.0 out 10

"Ginger Snaps 2" (movie) Total crap with NONE of the cleverness of the first film. 3.5 out of 10

"Gothica" (movie) I was enjoying this movie for the most part and then it lost all of it's steam in like the last 20 minutes. Avoid it. 3.5 out of 10

Star Trek Enterprise 3x15 Harbinger (TV Show) Latest episode of the worst Star Trek series ever lived up t it's usual standards. In other words, another episode that makes you go "enh." when you are done watching it. Unless you are in love with T'pol like I am then this episode had a couple of yummy scenes. 5.0 out of 10, or 7.5 out of 10 for T'pol moments

2. Moka

Moka Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I know most of you are not real big on reality TV but I have been getting into this newest season of Survivor. They are making it truly brutal on the people who are out there because they are the all stars from previous seasons.

Also, "My Big Fat Obnoxious fiancee" is freakin hilarious. It is about a girl who is trying to convinceher family that she fell in love and is marrying a man she meton a reality show. If she can make it through the wedding with all of her family attending and with no objections then she wins half a million dollars. She thinks the guy set up to be her groom is out to do the same thing, but he is actually a hired actor who is trying to sabotage the whole thing. Some of the interactions between her and him, and between the two families (his family are also all hired actors) are out of control funny. The finale is this monday night.

3. Petra_Blakkwing

Petra_Blakkwing Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    I currently watch Machos: Los Pasiones Fuertes de Siete Heremanos...... you will never see this show because it in on in Spain....but it is the STINKIN´ FUNNIEST soap opera I´ve ever seen in my life....funnier because it´s supposed to be dead serious..... I don´t think I´ve ever laughed harder in my life....and that´s pretty hard.....

also, just a random news flash....there is a fourth Crow movie set to come out in July or August....most people don´t care...but I´m not most people.... it is called The Crow: Wicked Prayer and it stars Eddie Furlong as the Crow and David Boreanaz as the evil bad guy who, of course, killed Eddie Furlong and his girlfriend as part of a ritual to become an invincible demon.....the Crow must avenge the deaths and what not.... I happen to love the Crow series (um...ok not so much the 2nd one) and am super duper glad this is coming out and is not like the version I heard would be next... The Crow: Lazarus starring DMX....yech!

EDIT:
    oh...and all I have to say about Ginger Snaps is, ¨YEAH FOR CANADIAN MOVIES!!!! w00t!!! eh?¨

4. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    Butterfly effect (movie) This was a pretty good movie which Im sure will have your average movie goer scratching their heads trying to figure out what they had just watched. That of course gives it another star in my book. It needed more lightsaber battles but other than that a good movie, worth watching.

5. Jankarakk

Jankarakk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2003
    I thoroughly enjoyed watching Butterfly Effect. Very good movie.

6. Luminara_Jade

Luminara_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    hmm...maybe i will see it then. I have heard several good reviews of it from several very different people. have i mentioned that im excited about Starsky & Hutch? i will also be seeing The Crow...after i watch the other ones...minus #2, apparently.

7. Petra_Blakkwing

Jul 1, 2002
    no!!! watch number 2.......it´s just that I PREFER 1 and 3 to 2.......but it´s still worth watching just because it´s a Crow movie....and the chick in it has the coolest tattoo of angel wings on her back....and if I had the nerve I would SOOOO get them on MY back......

8. Axia_Euxine

Mar 25, 2003
    Ah go ahead and get one, its only pain.

9. Luminara_Jade

Feb 5, 2004
    okay then i only have to watch 2 and 3 before, what? july?

10. DarthDarkstar

DarthDarkstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    I have to watch them too... Petra are you coming back in time to watch them before the 4th movie comes out? Cause I promised you I'd watch them with you, but if theres not time, I can watch them

11. Luminara_Jade

Feb 5, 2004
    if there's time, when petra comes back you can both come over and we could all watch them together?

12. DarthDarkstar

DarthDarkstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    sounds good to me, I figured thats what would happen anyway...

BTW: Next year make sure everyone watches American Idol. I am going down to apply for it, and I wont stop until I am on TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Jankarakk

Jankarakk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2003
    Dude....I've been talkin about trying to get on the show...just to make a fool of myself...if I get on TV that's really cool too.

14. Luminara_Jade

Feb 5, 2004
    i will watch if you guys do that. totally.

15. Petra_Blakkwing

Jul 1, 2002
    yes, I´ll be back before 4 is released....and Darkstar....when I read that you wanted to be on American Idol...I´m sorry but I laughed....sorry....

16. Luminara_Jade

Feb 5, 2004
    i did too, but his ego is eaisily smashed so i thought i would keep it to myself, but since you already ruined it, ill say that i did, in fact, crack up pretty bad. im sorry too.

17. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    Entertainment of the Moment:

I rented Cabin Fever. Not scary at all, not about zombies, more of a sickness of some sort. I think they are confusing gore and grossness with scary.

Only just mildy entertaining. Barely. I didn't change the channel or fall asleep, in any case.

I give it a 1.5 or 2 out of 10.

18. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Now Cabin Fever was a worse horror movie that Dreamcatcher... I don't know why people are dogging it so much!

19. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    I also rented Dickie Roberts: Child Star, or whatever it's name is. The one with David Spade.

Lame. Not funny, except in a couple of places, and even then, I wanted it to be funny so bad that I ended up laughing at a couple of sight gags, such as Dickie trying to learn to ride a bike, and his repeated accidents. Plus there is when he is dying his hair, and he screws it up causing an interesting 'look'.

Useless movie, really, all except for the end credits, which if you are a fan of any of the old sitcoms that had children on it, you should watch. They are all assembled as a choir singing a funny song about being child actors. Brady Bunch, Eight is Enough, Different Strokes, What's Happening, Happy Days and more have representation. Rent it, and go go scene selection to watch the credits. No, have your frient rent it. Better yet, get the video store to just show you the end credits, so neither you or your friend have to shell out the 3 dollars to see this.

I give it a solid 2 out of 10, only because of the end credits, and a wrestling scene in which Webster kicks David Spade's butt.

20. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    yes, I agreee, MoronDude. I still would give Dreamcatcher a 5 out of 10. If they had stuck with the original ending (as seen on the DVD) then it would have bumped it down a number or two. The original ending really, really really sucked.

So, for those of you who read the book, what the heck was Dudditz? The movie made him out to be an alien or something, what about in the book? And what was the whole symbolism of the stupid Dreamcatcher thingys?

In anycase, Dreamcatcher was somewhat entertaining for me. Seeing Jason Lee in that film is what prompted me to rent it.

21. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Maybe Jason Lee is the only reason I don't wanna say the movie flatout sucks... I love Jason Lee in a completely heterosexual way that one guy could be a huge fan of another guy!

22. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    I also saw Lion King 1 1/2.

Pretty good 'release to video' film. It was kinda funny, which as a parent, I enjoy films that my kid can watch and enjoy (and keep his attention) and that I can watch and enjoy (and keep MY attention).

It's humor didn't have the strong parent/adult appeal that Toy Story or Toy Story 2 or Shrek did, but it was good. If you saw the Lion King and enjoyed it, then see this movie. In fact, you may want to watch the Lion King first to refresh your memory on all the events that take place, since Lion King 1 1/2 is sort of a behind the scenes documentary taking place at the same time, focusing on Timone and Pumbaa. Jerry Stiller does the voice of Timone's uncle, and otherwise they brought back all the old familiar voices from Lion King.

I give it a 6 out of 10.

23. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Since you saw Lion King 1 1/2... lemmie ask you... Do they put young Simba and Naala with Timon and Pumbaa?!? Because, if so, that is a major continuity problem.

24. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    hmmm... I will check that specifically when I watch it again.

They do have Timone and Pumba around the two young lions, trying to sabatoge their relationship. At one point, Neela (female lion?) talks with Timone and Pumba for a brief moment, but I don't recall seeing them all four together.

25. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    There is no way Naala should be speaking to Timon and Puumba, because Simba didn't meet them until after he was banished, and he didn't see Naala again until they wee grown up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.