main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[b] WHICH BOOKS ARE BETTER - LOTR TRILOGY OR STAR WARS EU BOOKS?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Boba_Fettish, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boba_Fettish

Boba_Fettish Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2001
    This topic is easy to answer- LOTR trilogy. Tolkien's classic is beyond compare to any cheesy (sorry, but its true) Star Wars book written by some unheard of author. I love Star Wars - even more than LOTR- but when it comes to the books, Star Wars books pale in comparison to the forever awesome LOTR trilogy, along with The Hobbit, and everyone's favorite piece of literature that will leave you confused and wondering what the hell is going on (after reading one page)- The Silmarillion.

2. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I enjoy reading Star Wars novels more... but I do understand how great an impact LotR has had on literature. And I am reading The Fellowship of the Ring at present, because of the movie of course, and it is very cool almost all around. I still feel its not for me though. Its very slow and such.

I love today's fiction much more. If not Star Wars, other fantasy and sci-fi.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I love Star Wars. Despite sometimes frequent books which are of less than great quality, I just love the thing.

Tolkien's book I enjoy, but it's too long-winded and dry for my tastes. Literarily it's better, but give me the new Star Wars books any day.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Lord of the Rings by far. SW books are fun but literature they ain't.

Jedi Ben

5. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    The phrase "Star Wars EU books" is redundant, just to let you know. All of the books are considered EU. As for which ones I prefer, I'd probably have to go with Star Wars. I love it too much. LOTR is awesome, and I'm becoming a big fan of it too, but Star Wars is where my heart (not to mention my money!) is.

6. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Whatever is "better" is in the eye of the reader.

Comparing SW books to Tolkien tomes is like comparing Britney Spears to the Beatles. One is enjoyable and leaves a bubblegum flavor in your mouth, while the other is influential, massively popular and well-respected. This does not mean one is better than the other, though.

Whatever movie, FotR or TPM, makes more money also does not make one "better" than the other...it is what you think of each that matters, and whether you enjoy them.

7. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Here, here, Sturm. I couldnt've said it better myself.

8. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    Nicely put Strum, but Britney Spears and the Beatles?? ;)

Personally, I think LOTR has a lot of influence on Star Wars, so without LOTR, the EU may not be what it is today.

Tolkein has a very good idea and plot in Lord of the Rings. He tends to overly describe things (the pay per word thing might play in), and his language and jokes are a bit dated. However, it is incredible nonetheless and a fantasy milestone.

Star Wars EU is sheer entertainment. It hasn't made a milestone literary speaking (no pun intended) but it allows us some more room to enjoy it in this day and time. Also, Star Wars is more of a science fantasy, while LOTR is plain and simple fantasy.

In other words, it's all a matter of preference. Artistically, LOTR is better, but the EU is better than LOTR for our generation. I'd pick the Beatles of Britney Spears any day, but I'd also pick suicide before Britney Spears. :D

9. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Having just come back from FOTR movie, (WHICH IS SUPERB!!!!! Ep II has ALOT to contend with) I am re-reading the FOTR. FOTR itself, is quite slow compared to The Two Towers and Return of the King. Sure, LOTR has it's ups and downs but it is a masterpiece. GL even based alot of SW on LOTR, so I find this debate pointless...

But I would have to go with Tolkien

(More description, character development and better bad asses!)

10. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
  11. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    I enjoy both in their own rights. There is more history with Tolkien - considered by many as the father of modern fantasy. But Tolkien is so detail-oriented and thorough, his books can become a bit dry at times. Nevertheless, I've enjoyed almost all of JRR Tolkien's books, and his son's for that matter.

12. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    That's no fair! I can't answer this one! I'll turn to the darkside if I have to think that hard!!!
    Just kidding. Well, the LotR Books are excellent books and very well written, but I am a Star Wars fan, plain and simple. Then again, take out all of the adjectives and LotR wouldn't actually be very long (lol)

13. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Star Wars is definitely better and here's why:

1. More ppl can read Star Wars (larger age group). Star Wars has book from 5yo and above whereas LOTR trilogy is only for teenagers and adults. I would have to say i made a huge mistake trying to read LOTR when I was 12 yet i could read SW when i was 12.

2. Star Wars EU is written in easier English then LOTR

3. LOTR is slower to develop to action

Basically, LOTR is too hard for a lot of ppl to read

14. Freyja

Freyja Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    That sounds more like a case for LotR than against it to me. ;)

My vote is for LotR. As was said one is literature and the other is not.

I don't find SW less enjoyable though as long as it is one of the good ones. :)

15. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Heh...is it just me, or did that last post remind anyone else of the rationale behind William Goldman's own "abridged" version of S. Morgenstern's The Princess Bride: The "Good Parts" Version...??

:D

16. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Considering that i believe the Lord of the Rings to be the epitome of great literature, this question is not difficult for me to answer. I love Star Wars books, and i have been reading them for longer than LOTR, but when i read LotR it completely blew my mind. I read both the Two Towers and The Return of the King within a four day period, whereas i haven't ever read even a single Star Wars book in four days. The depth and emotion, characterization and epicness (word?) of the Lord of the Rings is so riveting that it is hard for any other novel to come close in my opinion. I can't wait to see the films.

17. loontexas

loontexas Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2001

first, the LOTR is NOT a trilogy. it was originally a single book first published in papers and magazines by chapters, then full printed as one single book. i still dont understand why they didnt just keep it that way.

for me, LOTR hands down. yes, it gets a little hard to stay with in a few parts of all of his books, but once the story picks up, you cant stop read. i had to force myself through the first half of the hobbit AND later the two towers before it really gripped me (and i ended up going back and re-reading through two towers spoiled because i missed so much).

18. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    I just started the LOTR books, and have yet to see the movie (I'm waiting till after I read the book), and I must say honestly, it's beautiful literature, but slow to get into the action. I still enjoy reading it.

Star Wars and LOTR are both wonderful, simply put, and although I am truly a SW fan at heart, I can't deny that I also enjoy LOTR so far. Besides, Legolas looks cute in the movie, from the trailers I've seen. Hehe ^^() What Sturm said is right -- EXCEPT for that part when he said Britney Spears is "well-respected." I've heard of no one "respecting" Britney Spears.... 8-}

19. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Different people like different things. I have never made it more than a hundred pages into Fellowship of the Ring before being numbed insensate by Tolkien's wordy, pedantic prose. Even my friends who absolutely adored the books say that he could have used an editor. I had the same experienced trying to read Anderson's Jedi Search trilogy, but for different reasons.

Good or bad, it's all literature. Even those books you see in drug stores with the generic and blandly beautiful woman in lingerie and written by 'Anonymous' is literature.

I used to read a lot of Tom Clancy, and people wondered why when he was so 'dry and boring', not me, I thought it was great stuff. I quit reading Clancy because he got a little too right wing for my tastes.

20. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    never read LOTR, so the EU wins :)

21. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    Tahiri...some clarification:

I think/HOPE Britney Spears was being referred to as the "bubble gum flavor" and that the Beatles were "well-respected"

That was just my interpretation though...but Britney Spears is anything but respectful. Oh and the "Beatles-on-drugs" weren't very Bubble Gum Pop. :)

Still waiting to see FOTR.

22. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    YOU HYAVE GOT TO SEE FOTR!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOTC has got to be a MASTERPIECE, it has to blow the audience away to beat it.

But I must admit the flim is more action pact than the book.

23. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    Lol, I re-read that, ArnaKyle -- all I can say is *phew*...I completely read that wrong ^^()

24. JediLurker

JediLurker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2001
    While I love Star Wars books (except for a certain few which I won't name here), LotR is by far better written and much more imaginative. I just love the overall story. It truly is a great read and a wonderful piece of literature. Some people claim it is hard to read, but that is really only because it is so descriptive and, to understand it all, you have to pay really close attention and read it AT LEAST a few times over.

25. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Duh..LOTR. SW books often have a hard time besting bloody Harry Potter, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.