main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[b] WHICH BOOKS ARE BETTER - LOTR TRILOGY OR STAR WARS EU BOOKS?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Boba_Fettish, Dec 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    WOW! I just saw the Fellowship of the Ring, and it was incredible! One of the best movies i have EVER seen! An incredible movie adaption of an incredible book! Everyone must see this movie!

2. sithspawnedvong

sithspawnedvong Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2001
    The movie is great but as for the book I haven't read it yet. I am still reading the Hobbit and is better than Star Wars books. But I still love GFFA and I will continue reading.

3. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Whoops!!!! I thought people here were only obsessed with SW or obsessed with it more than anything else but boy was I wrong!!!!!!!! Anyway, I still think that LOTR takes too long to get to anything and ppl will fall asleep reading it which is bad

4. Warlord_Ken

Warlord_Ken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    I've read The Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring, and I've seen the movie for FOTR. All are well-conceived and rewarding.

Same with the numerous SW books I have read.

I think what's fair is to compare the LOTR trilogy with the SW OT novelizations. The OT books are pretty well-written and are a lot easier to read (less thick, I should say) than Tolkien's book. Of course I haven't even read the entire trilogy but even comparing ANH novel with FOTR you have ANH (easy to read, exciting) and FOTR (classy, exciting). So in response to this post I'd have to say a tie between the two.

5. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    There really is no comparison, and its not fair to Tolkien or the SW authors to try... LotR is a classic, plain and simple, voted the best book of the century by numerous and sundry people. The Star Wars EU is by no means insignificant, but it is a spinoff of a film trilogy. No one can compare to the literary greatness of Tolkien or the amount of work he put into the books, but I'm not about to declare either superior. I love 'em both.

6. amarice77

amarice77 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2001
    LOTR all the way!!!! Cos Legolas is in it!!!! :D :D :D :D !! And boy do I love a man with pointy ears!!!! :)

7. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    Have to agree w/ ya on the Legoloas thing there amarice, but that's just the shallow part of my personality :)

LOTR is one of the deepest, most well-rounded, profound books I've ever read. I does take a little concentration to read, but it's well worth the effort.

EU books are fun, kick-back reading; I enjoy them, but very rarely ever read one that blows me away.

Anyway, if you guys think the LOTR is heavy-duty reading, try the Silmarillion!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.