main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

B-Wing: Underused Starfighter?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Apr 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    Well, let's face it. ONe of hte biggest problems with X-Wing Alliance was that the X-Wing was dramatically underpowered, and that many of the more advanced TIE designs (obviously, the TIE DEFENDER) were way too powerfull. I hardly ever used the X-Wing because it was too much of a handicap at times, unless I knew what I was going up against.

2. _ViE_AcheRoN_

_ViE_AcheRoN_ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2003
    Let's put it this way, it has been said that a cheap I-7 Howlrunner can destroy a B-Wing in head to head combat...Nuff said.

3. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    I-7s were actually pretty nice fighters. To the best of my knowledge, they're still in service with planetary garrisons and maybe some Dreadnaughts or other old ships.

4. jedi979

jedi979 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    Hey, B-wings may be slow, but they're numero uno in the "kick butt" department. The B-wing is the SW equivalent of the A-10 Thunderbolt (which my Dad flew for 20 years, BTW).

5. Brett_Bass

Apr 22, 2003
    With one major difference:
    The A-10A is maneuverable. The B-wing is not.

BTW, if they could somehow navalize the Warthog, it'd do the Corps some good. That's a neat bird. Too bad the Chair Force mucky-mucks don't like it.

6. Alion_Sangre

Alion_Sangre Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    A B-wing is manuverable enough that a good pilot has a fighting chance - I've picked off TIE Advanced in that thing on Ye Olde X-Wing Collector's Edition. Plus, keeping fighters off of it is the job for X-wings, A-wings and E-wings - the B-wing is supposed to pound the bejeebers out of cap ships.

As any attack pilot will tell you: "Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make history!"

7. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    Fair enough. I think a B-Wing is most dangerous if you go head to head against it. Man, those guns can really do a number on you, and that profile is really hard to hit.

8. Brett_Bass

Apr 22, 2003
    I'd heard that quote before. We had a Hornet driver come up here once (he was with the last squadron of F/A-18As in the Corps--Congress tried to upgrade them to charlies, but they did so well in Afghanistan that they're sticking with the alphas until the JSF enters the fleet). 'Cept he added the addendum that while fighter jocks make movies and bomber pilots make history, attack plane drivers made dead guys.
    Ooh-rah!
    Anywho, the B-wing is the most dangerous from the front. Lotsa guns plus small target cross-section equals potential disaster. Even if you're driving something with shields (like an avender or a modern squint), you're probably going to be hurtin' for certain. That's why God invented ion engines--so that TIE drivers could get behind B-wings.

9. _ViE_AcheRoN_

_ViE_AcheRoN_ Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2003
    an A-10 of any kind Warthog or Thunderbolt would be solidly owned by even an old soviet MiG-29, the equivalent of a tie in the star wars universe. Image what an f-22 raptor, a tie defender in my estimation, would do to it.

10. Colt 45

Colt 45 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2000
    You are talking apples and oranges, there. The warthog is a tank killer/groundpounder support/terrorize enemy troops and armor attack plane, not a fighter plane. But I guarantee if they turn that hellish cannon towards a fighter, that fighter is going to run for the hills.

11. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I must admit, I did not read all 3 pages of this thread, but does anybody besides me think that B-wings are ugly?

12. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    I wouldn't say ugly.......

"distinct" is such a nicer word :)

13. Chiss_Jedi

Chiss_Jedi Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2003
    The B-wing lacks speed and manuverability, but makes up for it in firepower. I would rather take a X-wing into a dogfight, but a B-wing would be great for pounding capital ships. It's a toss up between B & A-wing after X-wing in a dogfight: an A-wing is fast and turns well, but takes no punishment-one hit and you're dead.

B-wings are marked improvements over Y-wings for firepower, but the E-wing can do almost as much damage and still fight TIEs on the way on.

E-wings rule the skies (space?) depending on the pilot

14. Brett_Bass

Apr 22, 2003
    Unless you're fighting a TIE defender. Even a "modern" shielded TIE interceptor is superior in terms of maneuverablity and burst accelleration. But no squint can even come close to being as potent against capital warships as an E-wing. E-wings r0xorz, as they say in 'leet'.
    :)

15. tmihah

tmihah Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    The B-wing was probably slowly phased out for three reasons:

1) They were expensive and prone to break down. The unique rotating cockpit feature which gave the craft stability constantly broke down and was probably a strap on NR finances

2) It was outdated. The NR upgraded with dedicated K-wings and upgraded Y-wings (which were improved in the YJK series). After the political fall out of the BFC and the peace made with the Empire, the percieved need for bombers lessened and the politically infiltrated military lessened their construction/upkeep/replacement.

3) The strain of the rotating cockpit feature made it one more stresser on a starship frame that Yuuzham Vong dovin basils could exploit. Thus the craft would quickly be replaced with weapons that worked against the enemy.

16. DARTH-PLONKER

DARTH-PLONKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    The B-Wing was never built for dogfighting-that's why there are X-Wings and A-Wings. The B-Wing was meant for engaging capital ships and it's ion cannons and large torpedo capacity and shields means it perfectly fits this jobs. It is meant for longs runs against a massive slow ship, not for dogfighting.

Does anyone else think that the (place any letter of the alphabet here)-Wing fighter thing has gone a bit too far. There are also V-Wings which only appear in the game Rogue Squadron. And what are K-Wings or are they just a joke?

17. tmihah

tmihah Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    K-wings were introduced in the Black Fleet Crisis books. V-wings are not really starfighters but airspeeders which have spacebased deploy capability. V-wings made their first appearence in the Dark Empire comic book. Rogue Squadron simply lifted the Battle of Mon Calimari for the game.

18. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    V-wings were mentioned in SBS when the battle progressed to the surface. They're combat airspeeders. It was a one-shot throwaway line, but it was appreciated.

19. Brett_Bass

Apr 22, 2003
    That's right, I'd only peripherally remembered that they were a pain the the patook to keep flying. Anything that costs more to maintain and repair than it does to replace is just waiting for the chopping block.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.