main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BA2 - R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Vidman, May 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mushiman

Mushiman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2002
    JediTac wrote - "You only make it abundantly clear that your need to profess your unconstructive self-serving comments eminate from a sense of envy of Nick's talent, inginuity and ability - clearly demonstrated"
    Actually BA stood out for it's visual effects & props, not directing. Anyone with some directing skills can pull of what directing went into BA.
    Ever heard of the phrase "Always surround yourself with the best people you can find"? You can't loose.

2. nMe

nMe Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2004
    All I know is that if my fanfilm goes under, I ain't tellin' nobody nothin'! Holy EDIT: You have to bleep out the whole word.!

3. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    DorkMan and I has been known to disagree many times on many things.

This, however, is not such an occasion.

Not that THIS means anything directly negative against Nick, Vidman and his gang and the film. I feel for them, and the disasters they've been going through. These comments aren't meant rudely, and I honestly feel the pain of seeing a big project blow up in your face. I do. I've seen it happen before. I've lived through it. It is not fun. My heartfelt condoleances.

But...

Still, it is a fact that I picked up bad vibes from the very first donation thread. They were weak at the time, but there was a certain "something" telling me in the back of my head "the fecal matter will hit the air moving device, sooner... or later". I cannot pinpoint the "why", I can just state the fact it was so.

For every new "event" in the saga it became increasingly clear the initial gut-feel was correct.

The decision to "go animated" was to me the ultimate and complete death-blow to BA2. Frankly, I never laughed so much in my life. Does any of you have a clue about the effort to make a good animated film, and about how retarded it looks if you make it badly?

I think the best saving for BA2 would to, indeed, make the "fanfilm that never was" documentary AND/OR combine it with the voice-recordings over storyboards. That could work, and would give the fans something. (Assuming your storyboards are viewable, of course)

I can't exaplain exactly why I got the initial bad vibes. I just did. I am honest, and telling you I did.
    It may be my experience with what happens to an enthusiastic volonteer project the minute money enters the picture (I've seen several similar near-disasters w. my relationship w. the music industry... nothing blows stuff up so badly than talk of money)

/Z

4. General_Rieekan

General_Rieekan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    Zap may having something there. remember the FOTR Extended DVD? they had that storyboard feature on one of the discs in which the whole first film was roughly told in about 10 minutes using storyboards and voiceovers. assuming that there are presentable storyboards, just take the voicework and voila! a finished, albeit crude, fanfilm!

i realize that this is probably an absurd idea, but WTH, no harm in throwing it out there...

5. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    Zap,

I envy you in your way of wording things so well, I really do. I agree with you 100% as this is how I felt as well.

I wish I was able to be simplistic and good-toned in your posts. I guess it comes with age (not meaning that in an insulting way of course, but of being more wise).

6. ironhide

ironhide Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Wow 5 pages already, and 5 pages of abuse and moronity (if that's a real word).

Nick, sorry to hear about BA2, that sucks. Next time you start a thread please just make your original post then lock it so we can all avoid this nonsense.

You might as well just not bother with your original film as from some of the comments here the 'fans' clearly don't deserve it.

Well anyway, good luck and all the best!

7. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    Yeah... they don't desserve it for the money some people sacrificed.

8. johnny_nod

johnny_nod Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    *I think the best saving for BA2 would to, indeed, make the "fanfilm that never was" documentary AND/OR combine it with the voice-recordings over storyboards. That could work, and would give the fans something. (Assuming your storyboards are viewable, of course)*

This, I think, is a very good idea when perhaps combined with all the "making-of" footage for BA1 for the sake of, shall we say, a kind-of Special Edition of the original "Broken Allegiance"? Perhaps a DVD with the original feature(digitally remastered sound, if possible, and all the fixings), a Behind-The-Scenes option with all the making-of stuff, and then a section with all the BA2 footage.

Now this is just an innocent suggestion, of course: all those who invested in the film(regardless of their invested amount) get the DVD for free. A low cost...say $15 or so...for everyone else. I realize the possible argument with this option: "why pay $15 for something I can get for free?" Well...you're getting everything that you would have downloaded separately on one DVD, plus the *exclusive* BA2 material.

It's kinda been done before...look at the premium you get with a "Hyperspace" membership: rough, bare-bones footage of a Jedi attack on a Droid Control Ship from Episode II. If only there was more audio on that footage... :)

As I recall, the creators of "The Dark Redemption" are giving this notion a shot.

Given the following for the original film, I think this is a perfect way to enshrine it. Your thoughts, Nick?

- Johnny

9. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    NO.

No selling the DVD to anybody- illegal.

That doesn't mean that you can't send a self-addressed stamped envelope.

Also, donations are no longer connected with BA2- they're connected to the original sci-fi. While it'd be nice, it's not exactly needed.

10. johnny_nod

johnny_nod Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Ach. Gotcha. My bad.

The Self-Addressed, Stamped Envelope biz works then.

I sowwy! :)

- Johnny

11. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Zap ... I have to say that I am fairly disappointed with you. [face_plain]
    And neinnumb ... you've completely gone over the edge.

I guess the point you are missing is that when things went sour in terms of the "live action" BA2,
    at least Nick had the courage and drive to TRY to develop an animated version.

Does Nick Hallam have any idea how crappy an animated project can look if not done correctly, Zap ??? ..... ABSOLUTELY. Why, I ask you, do you think that the BA2 project has now been scrapped ??? It was, in fact, for this very reason. Nick didn't want to offer a presentation to the FanFilm community unless it was done right. Much much develpoment was done in seeing if the animated project would work and be done right. After all was said and done, it was reluctantly decided that it could not.

Let me ask you this ... wouldn't you be MORE upset if Nick Hallam, after seeing that the animated project would not be as quality as it could otherwise have been, decided to put it out anyway? would you not have felt that your donations would have been more lost on a substandard poorer quality production??? I know I possibly would have. It is for this reason that I support Nick's difficult decision in this matter.

I simply cannot understand why some of you are so cruel and close-minded with this concept? Where most others would have upped and quit altogether, Nick went the extra mile to at least try to make BA2 a reality in some form. I saw many of the concept renderings of the animated characters and they were fantastic. Nick very well could have pulled this off had the team he worked hard to pull together stayed together.

As for the money donations toward the production of BA2 .... again, I fail to see why many of you are so upset. Did any of you donate $100 ... $500 ... $1000 ??? I'd be willing to bet that the average donation was between $10 and $20. And the word MOST of you who continue to gripe on this issue are choosing to ignore .... DONATION. Nick clearly posted the terms of the fund-raising process right there on his website - for those who chose to actually READ them. Those of you who donated money CHOSE to do so. Were any of you not of the understanding that filmmaking AT ANY LEVEL is a risk venture? There is no guarantee that a project will be made. Unless there is a clause in the BA2 Donation Agreement that clearly states that all funds will be refunded should the film project not be realized, then those of you who donated to the BA2 production fund OUT OF YOUR OWN FREE WILL and, assumingly, RATIONAL CHOICE really show a lack of maturity and responsibility with your ranting and whining on this issue.

The bottom line is that Nick Hallam attempted something different with the BA2 Fund Raising effort in effort to try to produce a BA2 every bit as grand and quality as BA1 ... and he did just that - attempted as hard as he could have given the resources available to him.

Guess what ... our own Chris Hanel was working with Nick on the BA2 project. If I am not mistaken (leaving room here for Chris Hanel and ONLY Chris Hanel to further explain), I believe that Chris was in favor of Nick's innovative fund-raising idea from the get-go.

So, you know what . . . those of you who continue to breathe the thin air atop your little soap boxes by professing your disdain toward Nick Hallam and the BA2 situation are simply continuing to demonstrate your narrow-mindedness and lack of maturity in your empty, self-serving words of "oh, I knew this would happen," and/or "it was doomed to failure as soon as donations were asked for."

Why you can't simply show some basic human courtesy and support for a fellow FanFilmmaker who, with all intents and purposes of producing another high quality FanFilm production, and with all of the pressure and high expectations that go along with it, did his uttmost best to make this project a reality is really sad.

PLEASE people ... understand what happened and ACCEPT it. It happens

12. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    From the BEGINNING I have NEVER changed MY standpoint on the INCARNATION of BA2.

If you don't believe me, go read the locked threads, I am too wise for these forums...

later

13. WeirdHat

WeirdHat Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2003
    I don't think anyone is trying to insult Nick Hallam, I'm sure he did the best he could under the circumstances.

It happens EVERY SINGLE DAY in the motion picture business

And that's why some people expected it to happen here.

14. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    TAC: YOU are on a soapbox, you have been this entire thread, in fact with every post you make, and it was old the first time.

If you're going to tell other people to let it go you need to be prepared to do the same.

M. Scott

15. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    Nicely said WeirdHat.

And TAC:

Whether by intuition, pessimism, or any other mechanism of sooth-saying or foresight people felt BA2 would not succeed, they were right. However, just SAYING they thought it would fail is not particularly useful - which induced the argument that has dominated the last few pages of the thread. Because you felt their comments were inappropriate, you argued your point. Subsequently, both Dorkman and Zap stated explicitly WHY they felt BA2's success wasn't guaranteed... and this DOES have a place in the thread, because it is educational.

In addition, the fact that they DID make such a prediction may be an indication that such people have what it takes to be producers. I know for certain that many of the people who claim to have predicted BA2's outcome are themselves ambitious - and DO sponsor projects they have confidence in.

Make no mistake - compassion is a virtue, and your support of Nick is admirable. It is not rational however to expect everyone to share your enthusiam or faith that the project will come to fuition. Perhaps you are New Line sponsoring the Lord of the Rings, or Gibson making The Passion... but the reason such examples were so highly celebrated is because they were rare.

-Spiff

16. General_Rieekan

General_Rieekan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    theres always Knightquest 2 to look forward to chums...

:D

17. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    I think KQ2 is on the shelf again as well, so who knows when there will be any activity on that...

18. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    TAC: Well said. And while you might be on some sort of a soapbox, you're standing for human dignities. I'm with you, and Nick.

Dorkman: I also agree with some of your points. However, they may have been able to be put a bit nicer than they were, and your rebuttals were surely over the line.

Did any of you donate $100 ... $500 ... $1000 ???

Yep. Choice B. And I've done nothing but support Nick.

19. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    This thread make Hulk angry!!

[image=http://www.durbnpoisn.com/images/faces/hulk.gif]

Well... Regardless of what has been said here. I, for one, am looking forward to this other SciFi project.

20. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Okay, I, too, don't see the point to continuing this debate much longer, suffice to say that I guess I just need an answer to one question . . . .

In the context of Nick Hallam's intent with his initial thread-producing post,
    what is the point and/or value of making a comment to the effect of, "I knew it would fail," or "I predicted it would fail"?

That's all I want to know. [face_mischief]

JediTAC

21. AlanSmitheeIII

AlanSmitheeIII Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2001
    It's nice of you guys to donate to Nicks Demo Reel.... ;)

22. Klix

Klix Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2004
    what is the point and/or value of making a comment to the effect of, "I knew it would fail," or "I predicted it would fail"?

The same point/value of stating anything else in this thread. I posted my responce like everyone else. Not sure about Dorkman or anyone else here, but I was expecting this and I merely posted my responce. It wasn't to get anyone upset or start a 5 page argument. It was just to throw in my 2¢

-KLiX-

23. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Didn't answer the question.

24. Klix

Klix Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2004
    Didn't answer the question.

I thought you said you were finished?

If that didn't answer your question then you really aren't looking for an answer. It seems to me that you just want to bait this situation and further drag out this mess.

I answered your question just fine, and I have no desire in continuing in this. If you don't like my responce, then that would be your problem.

This thread has indeed served its purpose. I call for a lock.

BA R.I.P. indeed. [face_plain]

25. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    I've got a solution, since it was going to be animation anyway, and it would give the poor boy something to do, give it to Adam Bertocci, creator of Ruan Leia Ruan! He does animation and he is one of the biggest investors of BA2 :)

w00t!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.