main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Babylon 5] In Memory Still Bright - UDC4

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by amphetamine47, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amphetamine47

amphetamine47 Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2006
    Title: In Memory Still Bright
    Author: amphetamine47
    Timeframe: Babylon 5 (generally seasons 3 & 4, but the whole show is game)
    Characters: Various
    Summary: Five stories a week, each one hundred words in length.
    Disclaimer: I do not own Babylon 5, blah blah blah. Hail JMS.
    Notes: Part of the fourth Ultimate Drabble Challenge.

Week 1:

1. Flash in the pan

Doctor Stephen Franklin has potential coming out his ears. He?s an expert in xenobiology, has treated more species of sentient life than most other physicians can even name. He?s published numerous papers on the biology and treatment of different races, saved hundreds if not thousands of lives.

And despite all that, he knows that he hasn?t lived up to what he?s capable of. He?s going to die here, alone and bleeding downbelow on Babylon 5 as the stim addicted, traitorous son of General Franklin, having wasted his medical career and thrown away his friends. And abruptly he wants to live.

2. Out on a limb

John Sheridan isn?t sure?can?t possibly be completely sure?that breaking with EarthGov is the right thing to do. He agonizes over it, wondering what the hell could?ve happened to this world where he grew up and loved, the government he served without question during the Minbari War. It would be easier if he could just blame it on Clark and a few lackeys, but there are people serving EarthGov now that he knows. They aren?t evil, they aren?t stupid, they honestly believe that what they?re doing is right.

And he believes what he has to do now is right.

3. Out of the blue

Marcus?s sudden appearance is followed quickly by his admissions in to the station?s inner circle. Sheridan, Ivanova, Garibaldi, Franklin?they had all known each other--and more importantly--trusted each other, for years. Marcus Cole, however, appears one day and seems completely integrated in to their crew the next. It helps, of course, that Delenn trusts him completely, because certainly everyone trusts her. And the fact that he?s obviously willing and able to get the job done is more than appreciated. He becomes an integral part of the group, one so suddenly important that they don?t really notice until he?s gone.

4. Wet behind the ears

David Corwin arrives on Babylon 5 fresh-faced and bright-eyed and ready to make his mark. He?s been trained and drilled and instructed and ordered, and believes wholeheartedly that this training will make him the officer that he?s supposed to be.

Training, he eventually realizes years later, is only the beginning. It?s on Babylon 5, from Sheridan and Ivanova, that he learns to question orders, to think, to trust, to assume, to make questionable leaps of logic. He?s tutored at the feet of legends, and he knows that he?s not only a better officer, but a much better man for it.

5. Heat of the moment

Delenn insists on weighing matters carefully. Even in the most dire and urgent situations she takes a few moments to consider what this decision might lead to down the line. She tries to look at all angles of the problem, the wildly varying emotional and governmental responses each decision might cause, and attempts to compromise whenever possible. She would never betray those who she serves, of course, but insists on mentally sorting the minutiae.

She has to think it all through, because she can?t forget that she once made a decision in haste, or that so many suffered for it.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, I like these very much. You show great insights in just 100 words. Can I have PMs? :D :D Love your siggy too... :) ;)

3. dark_jedi_lover

dark_jedi_lover Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 25, 2004
    Ooh, I'm excited to see B5 drabbles! You have some lovely insights here; I especially like the last lines of the Marcus and Delenn ones. If you have a PM list, please add me. :)

4. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    These are fantastic! Count me in with the posters above in being excited about B5 drabbles.

He?s going to die here, alone and bleeding downbelow on Babylon 5 as the stim addicted, traitorous son of General Franklin, having wasted his medical career and thrown away his friends. And abruptly he wants to live.

Flash in the Pan had great heart. I got goose bumps remembering the episode 'Walkabout'. Excellent.

I also enjoyed 'out of the blue'. You touched on Marcus' easy acceptance very well. Powerful last line.

5. amphetamine47

Dec 19, 2006
    Thanks muchly :) I've only recently gotten in to B5 and it has eaten my brain!

Sure, I'll send a PM when I update...assuming I don't mess that up (LOL)

Isn't Allston!Jag great? ;)

Thanks a lot! I'm in love with these characters recently... ;)

I'll drop you a line!

Thanks :) I'm watching the show for the first time as a total fangirl, and they're eating my brain!

6. amphetamine47

Dec 19, 2006
    Week 2:

6. Impossible

Lennier is a rational being. Rationally he knows that Delenn will not ever feel for him the way he does for her. Rationally he knows that she is meant for Captain Sheridan, and that the two of them are quite happy together. He has seen the looks they share, the small touches. Rationally, he knows.

But irrationally, he cannot help but think that he, Lennier, would be far better for her. They are both Minbari, he tells himself. He understands her far better than John Sheridan ever can. But emotions don?t respond to logic, and he is at their mercy.

7. Unlikely

To the majority of Earth, wrapped in isolationism and propaganda, there is no way that Babylon 5 and its crew of alien sympathizers can hope to win. Even with the Minbari (evil, treacherous Minbari, with their superior technology and millions of dead humans on their hands), the Centauri, and the others on their side, the treasonous actions of Babylon Five?s commander and officers cannot beat the loyal dedication of Earth Force. The commitment of President Clark to restore order to the galaxy at large. And the few malcontents who speak out against him? They?re simply wrong. They?re just completely wrong.

8. Reasonable

Michael Garibaldi doesn?t like vagaries. He likes the law and likes the way things in his world are black and white. Black, you obey the law; white, you break it and he arrests you. Simple. Investigations he gets, even likes. Getting to the bottom of things, understanding why the hell whatever the hell happened, happened?it?s comforting. Politics is varying shades of grey, all ?how do they feel about this?? and ?what will they do about that??, and he tries to stay out of it as best he can. Let others be legends, he?ll just do what needs to be done.

9. Probable

Mister Morden considers himself something of an expert in the darker side of human (and other assorted beings?) nature. He doesn?t so much seduce people to another way of thinking as he presents them with a choice. A small moral quandary. He asks a simple question, the most basic of questions, really, and relies on the innate selfishness that all sentient beings posses to dictate their answer. He does not gamble, not really. He watches, and he waits. And when it is assured that his prey will give him the answer he wants, he simply asks: ?What do you want??

10. Definite

In Susan Ivanova?s world, there is no question: open yourself up, you get pain. She doesn?t hold out hope that one day everything would be wonderful and perfect, doesn?t think for a second that she might escape it if the stars aligned. This is how things are, how they ever would be. No doubt in her mind.

Which makes it all the harder to accept that Marcus is not like the other people she?d loved and lost. That Marcus would never leave her, never hurt her; that his presence would be as constant as her belief that it couldn?t happen.

7. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Another great set, amphetamine47. You have a unique style and very good ability to peg the essence of the characters in so few words.

He asks a simple question, the most basic of questions, really, and relies on the innate selfishness that all sentient beings posses to dictate their answer.

Probable was my favorite of the set. The entirity is brilliant, but I pulled this because it is so Morden.

Politics is varying shades of grey, all ?how do they feel about this?? and ?what will they do about that??, and he tries to stay out of it as best he can. Let others be legends, he?ll just do what needs to be done.

Reasonable was great too. I could hear Jerry doyle's voice. Good job.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Yup, your PM came through fine, thanks. :) Ooh great set. Loved Impossible, Probable and Definite the most. Morden sounds like a B5 version of a Sith LOL In Impossible and Definite, we see very real relationship dilemmas. Very well done!!! :D

9. dark_jedi_lover

Dec 25, 2004
    Another great set. =D=

But emotions don?t respond to logic, and he is at their mercy.

I love this line; it's so very true.

10. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Babylon 5 is one of my favorite shows and I'm so glad to see this on the boards. :)

Would you PM me when you update?

I love these drabbles!

=D=

11. amphetamine47

Dec 19, 2006
    Thanks so much! I'll admit that Probable was my favorite, too. Morden is just so merrily, irredeemably evil!

I was worried about pegging Garibaldi, so thanks especially for the encouragement on that one :)

Thanks a lot! Glad I didn't mess up the PM, too ;) YES! Morden would be an even better Sith than Palpatine, IMHO!

Thank you! I've always loved poor Lennier...he tried so hard!

Thanks so much! I'm a new fan but it's definitely my favorite these days! I'll definitely PM you! :)

Should have stuff up this weekend...maybe sooner if my boss doesn't mind me writing at work--hey, tomorrow's Friday, right? No one works Friday anyway... ;)

12. amphetamine47

Dec 19, 2006
    Week 3:

11. Truth
    Ivanova doesn?t want to admit it, not even to herself and certainly not to anyone else. She doesn?t believe it when people tell her everything will be all right, because nothing is ever all right and especially not after someone says it is?that?s usually when it?s at its worst.

But she knows John, accepts what he says (if not without question, then at least easily). Part of her thinks that maybe if he knows it won?t really change anything--only now her secret will be out and isn?t such a bad thing. So she tells him she?s a telepath.

12. Trust

The Centauri, in general, are not a trusting people. It is generally accepted?if not outright expected--that at some point in a Centauri?s life he or she will be betrayed in some way, shape, or form by a lover, a family member, or close associate. It?s not personal, it?s just the way things are and ever will be. It is a lesson learned young by everyone, it seems, except Vir Cotto.

Vir is something of an embarrassment: soft, good, honest, trusting and more importantly trustworthy. And there are days when Londo Mollari wishes that more Centauri were like him.

13. Honor

G?Kar knows that by leaving Babylon 5 he is making himself vulnerable. He understands that he is a prize for the Centauri, understands that now that he?s voluntarily left his sanctuary he is more than liable to be captured. He may be tortured, even killed. He knows the dangers he faces, but does not ask anyone to accompany him. He does not request assistance of any kind, simply leaves on the first transport he can find.

Because Mr. Garibaldi is his friend?a true friend--and G?Kar can do no less than search for him. No matter what the cost.

14. Loyalty

Zack Allen doesn?t set out to make enemies on Babylon 5. Nightwatch to him doesn?t equal making everyone distrust him; Nightwatch to him is Earth. Nightwatch is for the good of home, the good of the people he loves and protects?and, okay, a few extra credits on the side.

It takes him a little while to realize that Nightwatch isn?t so much about serving as it is about paranoia and the end of the Earth he loves. So when Sheridan comes to him, he?s happy to change sides. He hopes he can prove himself to Sheridan and Garibaldi again.

15. Love
    In her heart, Delenn truly believes that John has never left her. In the bed they once shared, she can still feel his arms around her. While watching the sun rise, she can still see him beside her. She speaks to him sometimes, softly, knowing that he understands, and takes comfort in his presence.

He listens silently, smiles at her, and the past twenty years disappear. She is young again, strong and at peace, because he is here beside her.

Every morning she watches the sun rise and is reminded that like life itself, love has no beginning or end.

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Enjoyed this muchly. Vir sounds a great person to know and befriend. Loyalty and Love -- wonderful. :D

14. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I anticipate these each week, amphetamine. This week is no exception.

Trust was my favorite. I love Vir and you capture him, the Centauri, and even Londo very well here. Bravo!

I also enjoyed Love. Deleen's feelings for John go beyond the outter rim!

Can't wait for next week! I've considered starting my own B5 thread, but I don't want to steal your thunder. Plus, I've got a Star Wars and LOST one already. :)

15. dark_jedi_lover

Dec 25, 2004
    These are all great, but Love stands out as a particularly wonderful piece of writing. You perfectly captured the mixture of peace and sadness of their relationship in Sleeping in Light. =D= Can't wait to read more.

16. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I loved all of them but I think Trust stood out the most. My favorite of this set. :)

Wonderful job!

=D=

17. amphetamine47

Dec 19, 2006
    Sorry these are late, I was (shh!) writing at work and left them there over the weekend *headdesk*

Should have responses to everyone's comments up later today...this has been a crazy week! Thanks for bearing with me! :)

Week 4:

16. Gaze

Cartagia doesn?t like the way they look at him. The heads (his trophies, symbols of his greatness, the price of defying him) sit and stare at him, and it makes him nervous. They?re always watching.

Cartagia likes the way they look at him. The heads are always there (his friends, his only true friends!), lined up in perfect formation, dead eyes studying his every move. They want to see how it?s done, he thinks. That?s why they watch.

Cartagia is sure they?re mocking him. The heads are always silent?mockingly so! He orders them executed again. That will show them.

17. Wink

Stephen Franklin--who had been looking forward to a quiet evening before Marcus arrived insisting on taking him out for a drink--knows he's in trouble. It started easily enough--a few drinks in a slightly less-than-reputable establishment Marcus liked to frequent, a bit of conversation...and invariably led to a bar fight.

Franklin isn't much a fighter, but Marcus is in his element. Cloak flapping about him, the Ranger swung denn'bok and fists and looks ecstatic. Finally the bar?s clear, Stephen and Marcus the last two on their feet, and Marcus winks,

?Relaxing, isn?t it??

?You need a new hobby.?

18. Distance

Michael Garibaldi doesn?t distrust John Sheridan exactly, but he definitely doesn?t trust the legend of Sheridan. He doesn?t believe all this ?back from the dead? nonsense, doesn?t believe that John Sheridan?s the new Messiah. He doesn?t exactly remember when the realization hit him, but it feels right.

So he turns away from Sheridan, from Ivanova, from everyone, and tries to make his own path?one that doesn?t involve a glorious ?cause? or an ?Army of Light?. Living as a ?traitor? on Babylon 5 is hard, but leaving these people who were his friends, this place that?s been his home is harder.

19. Cold as Ice

Commander Susan Ivanova is widely viewed as untouchable to the vast majority of beings on Babylon 5. But she isn?t nearly as untouchable as she?d like to be, and that is the bulk of her problem.

She doesn?t want to admit that she?s seen the way Marcus looks at her. Doesn?t want to admit that she?s actually a little flattered by the surprises he insists on sending her. Definitely doesn?t want to admit that she?s actually softening towards him.

But she is, and much later she?ll be glad that the last thing she really said to him was ?Thank you.?

20. Eternal Flame

It was, perhaps, a little naïve to think that Babylon 5 would be there forever?but part of them believed that it would. The station, never-boring diplomatic hotbed and home to thousands, had seemed so?timeless. It?s a part of history now; history was made there, history was changed there.

And soon there will be nothing left of it but an expanding cloud of debris. It?s not poetic, it?s not beautiful, but it is somehow right. Babylon 5 will be gone, and there will never be another. People say that it will be remembered, but history has a way of forgetting.

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Fun set. Wink ... the B5 version of the Rogues [face_laugh] Distance -- what a tough tough spot for Garibaldi to be in :( Eternal Flame --- [face_thinking] a very profound statement there at the end... when people/nations forget, the worse kinds of history repeats itself. [face_frustrated] You have to learn from the blunders of history and carry on the great legacies or else what good is it anyhow? ;) Got all philosophical there ... LOL

Very well written indeed.

=D=

19. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Excellent job, amphetamine. That Cartagia is one crazy dude.

I also enjoyed Garibaldi's cynicism and rejection of Sheridan. you had just the right amount of subdues venom in there.

They were all good. Wink was fun. I remember those times. :)

If i may be so bold as to make a request, would you please do a Sinclair? Maybe a Neroon? Remember him?

20. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I love how you brought over Carthagia's insanity. Greatly written.

My favorite was Wink.
    Stephen and Marcus...[face_laugh] My two favorite characters anyway. ;)

Eternal Flame was wonderful.
    I think I need to dig up some episodes again.

=D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.