main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Babylon AD...Anybody?

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedimarine, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Did anyone go see this? From the looks of the box office, not many.

I was somewhat interested, I just felt like they were "hiding" this movie in the publicity...the trailers was brief and gave you no info...even stuff I've read online is very vague, and the footage never changes.

Anyone see it? is it worth the trouble?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I had intended to catch it, as I'm a fan of Vin Diesel and have seen most of his flicks (still need to see Multi-Facial, Strays & Find Me Guilty), and though I didn't have high expectations for it, I thought it could still be entertaining. However, when the director starts calling the movie awful, stories of high studio intervention emerge and reviews/reactions aren't good at all, I figured it'd be best just to wait for video.

3. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I didn't know the director said that...did he take his name off it?

4. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I thought that was the Hitman movie that had the problems (studio intervention, etc), not BabylonAD.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Hitman did have a lot of reshoots and supposed studio intervention (though the movie turned out pretty decent, AFAI can tell)- but Vin dropped out of the Hitman movie to do Babylon A.D.

Babylon A.D. Director Mathieu Kassovitz Describes a Disastrous Production

Mathieu Kassovitz is pissed off. The French auteur, who first made waves in 1995 with La Haine, is supposed to be celebrating the passion project he's been nursing for the past five years. Instead -- the week before Babylon A.D. hits theaters -- he is nursing a grudge. "I'm very unhappy with the film," he says. "I never had a chance to do one scene the way it was written or the way I wanted it to be. The script wasn't respected. Bad producers, bad partners, it was a terrible experience."

The film, starring Vin Diesel, is an adaptation of the French novel Babylon Babies by Maurice Georges Dantec. It tells the story of a mercenary (Diesel) in the year 2019 who is hired to transport a woman and her guardian from Eastern Europe to New York. "The scope of the original book was quite amazing," says Kassovitz. "The author was very much into geopolitics and how the world is going to evolve. He saw that as wars evolve, it won't be just about territories any more, but money-driven politics. As a director it's something that's very attractive to do."

Diesel emphasizes the movie's theme of smuggling people across national borders. "This whole thing that's happening in Georgia right now is so fresh that no one has even asked about it yet," he says. "We're coming into an age where borders are closing, and I think that our society will be numb to it because of our freedom in the virtual world, our freedom in the Internet."

But according to Kassovitz, Babylon A.D. fails to deliver any of these messages. "It's pure violence and stupidity," he admits. "The movie is supposed to teach us that the education of our children will mean the future of our planet. All the action scenes had a goal: They were supposed to be driven by either a metaphysical point of view or experience for the characters... instead parts of the movie are like a bad episode of 24."

I should clairfy that the above latter statement was what my earleir post referred to-= the same article says:

To be fair, Kassovitz doesn't entirely hate the film. "I like the energy of it and I got some scenes I'm happy with," he says. "But I know what I had -- I had something much better in my hands but I just wasn't allowed to work." That the movie follows on the heels of such strong summer scifi options, will also prove challenging. "Babylon will probably have a good first weekend, but the second weekend we're going to lose 30%," says Kassovitz. "I don't see how people who went through all these amazing blockbusters like The Dark Knight and Iron Man this summer will take it."

6. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    It sounds like I'm one of the few people out there who saw and actually liked "Babylon A.D." over the weekend. Despite the reviews, I thought it was excellent and one the better dystopian films out there (I define dystopian as something set in the future where social/living conditions for most have deteriorated -Good examples of this are films like "Blade Runner", "Children of Men", and to a lesser extent "Minority Report").

SPOILERS BELOW:

- The setting/background of the film was great - though it was obvious a disaster (or series of disasters) had taken place in the recent past, it didn't specify what these were, but that didn't really matter.
    Obviously, conditions had gotten worse for most people in the world, though there were some obvious technological advances that had taken place, i.e. the electronic map that moved with your finger, etc.

- I liked the little touches in the film that really made it realistic - one example was the car that the V. Diesel character drove the girl and the nun in from the convent to the train station - this car had metal bars covering the windows to protect against break-ins/vandalism.

- The chase scene on the snowmobile was great - very good visuals.

- The futuristic Manhattan was amazing, with all of the neon lights/spotlights - very, very well-done and seemed like an extremely amped-up version of what the city looks like now.

- This is definitely a film that needs to be seen at least twice to be fully appreciated. There were so many things going on that it's almost impossible to catch them the first time around.

- My only complaint with the film would be that it would have benefited from being slightly longer: The ending with the girl in the hospital was very well-done and dramatic, but then the film immediately cut to a scene taking place outside, where the V. Diesel character was taking care of her two children (presumably) 3-4 years later after the hospital scene. This scene transition could have been much less abrupt.

7. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    They used Requiem For a Dream in the trailer...therefore I couldn't bring myself to go see it.

Shame...it was looking good up until that point in the trailer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.