main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Back stories of Characters and Minor Characters names... Who/when are the made up...?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Daft-Vader, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Okay, so who makes up the back stories (not the main back stories fro the novels but the more trivial pieces) of characters and their names?

For instance Han Solo - we know he is Han Solo, it is in the films. However, we also know that he is a Corellian, but that isn't specified in the films? Also for instance, the bounty hunters in the Executor, none (other then Fett) are named i8n film, but we know that there is Bossk, Denger IG-88 etc.

asre they made up whilst filming, or do the Authors of EU books make them up...?

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This is a good question, I have wondered this too. I like how everyone and everything in Star Wars has a name and a back story, and I don't think that they only come from the EU. And regarding Boba Fett... he is not actually called that by name in TESB, except for in the closing credits. Only ROTJ has someone refer to him by name in the movie itself. Speaking of the Executor, it's not called that by name in the movies either.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It depends, really. I think the Executor was named such during the filming process, although iirc it's mainly called "Darth Vader's Star Destroyer" in the TESB script.

"Sith Lord" is almost certainly from the 4th draft of ANH, as the term appears in the ANH novel and that was based on the 4th draft.

Most of the ship names do come from the EU, though-for example, I don't believe of the Star Destroyers in the films had names.

4. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    And everyone knows what an Ewok is, despite the fact they were never called Ewoks in ROTJ. Similarly I know Bib Fortuna is a Twi'lek from Ryloth and Greedo is from Rodia. How do I know this? I have no idea, but someone somewhere came up with all those little details. A very good question. I doubt Lucas has the time to fill in the backstory of all the characters in the films.

5. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Here's another: Palpatine was only called "the Emperor" on screen in the OT, but we all knew his name was Palpatine before the PT came out.

6. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    He's called that in the ROTJ novelization and the ANH novelization as well.

7. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    You may find some details about the naming of some minor OT characters in this article. It notes that in the early days there was less attention paid to such things. Various sources gave characters names over the years including books and the CCG. By the time of the PT though there was much more consideration given to the identification of minor characters and so many were named more or less concurrently with production by the licensing department. I remember reading somewhere that apart from that, the licensing dept. generally makes up names on an as-needed basis. So if there's going to be a source that includes certain characters, or a new action figure made, they'll make up names for them. You can see that one cantina character was known simply by the nickname 'Brainiac' for years until they recently made a figure of him and gave him the name Pons Limbic. Then obviously as well as those sources, there are EU publications which often fill in a lot of species, location and cultural details.

8. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Actually, TESB does name one on screen. In the scene where the bounty hunters are gathered on the Executor, one of the officers says to Piett, "sir, we have a priority signal from the Star Destroyer Avenger".

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    *Smacks face*

Oops. :p

10. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    We all have to make a mistake sooner or later. [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.