main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Back to Basics Writing Contest FOUR!!! are you sitting comfortably? --- contest over

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by FatBurt, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Welcome to the SFF Writers' Guild Writing Contest!

This was first talked about in great depth Here
    and as a result of that discussion we got the First ever SFF writing contest hosted by the Dorkman.
    After that our ex mod Droideka took on the mantle and brought us the second contest
    I then posted the third and overly complicated Contest three

I present to you, the back to basics

CONTEST FOUR!

2. RULES:

3. - Entries must be entirely original stories written by the submitting author within the contest period, based on that month's prompt (see below).

- Entries must be either science fiction or fantasy stories. Either genre is acceptable, as well as subgenres.

- Fan fiction (stories based on pre-existing characters or worlds from film, television, or books, including but not limited to Star Wars) is not accepted.

- This contest is open to all registered posters of the Jedi Council Forums. You do not have to be a regular poster in the SFF Writer's Guild thread in order to enter this contest.

- Entries must adhere to the JC Terms of Service. If you have a question if your story or a story element is within the TOS, PM the host or a sponsoring moderator to ask. Stories that violate the Terms of Service in any way will be disqualified. Keep it clean!

- From the date of the prompt (October 1st) you have approximately one month to write you story (deadline is December 2nd). You may submit your story any time, but it is recommended that even if you finish early, you take the remaining time to revise and strengthen your story, you may also enter multiple entries if you so wish.

- Final entries have a minimum wordcount of 2000 words, and a maximum wordcount of 10000 words.

- Entries must be submitted in a common text format (Microsoft Word, .txt, or .rtf) and emailed to the contest host at lynsntel@talktalk.net

4. JUDGING:

5. - Entries will be judged by a group of volunteer judges, to be selected by the host. The number of judges will be no fewer than 3. Ideally, I'd like to have 5 or 6 or even more.

- Entries will be distributed to the judges without the names of the authors.

- Judges will score each entry out of 10 possible points in several categories:

6. Overall Creativity

7. Writing Ability

8. Grammar/Mechanics

9. Use of the prompt

10. Entertainment Value

11. The scores for each story will then be averaged, and the story with the highest score will be deemed the winner.

- Along with the score, each judge must write a brief paragraph describing why s/he chose their particular scores. These paragraphs should be honest, but constructive.

- Judges must read all stories assigned to them in full.

- The judging time will depend upon the number of entries. As a basic rule I will be looking at 3 entries to be judged per week so if we have 5 entries we'll have a two week judging period. All judges will be told when their submissions have to be in by when they get the entries sent to them.

- Any judge who does not fulfill his or her commitment will not be allowed to participate in the contest in any form the next time around. People were counting on you!

- Judges may submit an entry for contest period in which they are judging but they will obviously not grade their own..

12. DISCUSSION:

13. - Once judging has concluded, the stories will be made available for public viewing, unless the author specifically re

14. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Good prompt. Nice to get this show on the road!

I'm going to nick a catchphrase from the old Jedi Draft:

Let's get it ON!

15. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Looks good!! I can't wait to see what people come up with :)

16. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    URGENT AMENDMENT

NYCGurl just PM'd me about the length of time on the Contest (which I had forgotten we had agreed to extend)

We were going to extend it to a three month writing allowance (to give time for ideas to form and be written etc...)

Due to the fact that 3 months would take us to Jan 1st I thought I'd pull it to 2 months and have December as the judging period and look to start the next contest in Jan

So the new and correct closing date is

CONTEST CLOSING DATE = DECEMBER 2nd

17. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    Wows. thats quite a long time, really. We need that long? For me, if inspiration strikes, it takes a few days to write down a short story, no longer. But ok. Good prompt, its the one i wanted to win. I guess ill start thinkin about what to write about then.

18. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    The idea is to ensure that everyone gets time to actualy do something that way even the later stragglers ge a chance.

It also means you could do more than one entry should you wish (although you can submit only one)

19. Sanctimoniously

Sanctimoniously Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2005
    Okey-dokey. Off to spend some time with my good friend, MS Word.

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thanks for adding that, Fatburt :)

No, one month would usually be plenty of time, but in the interest of trying to get more people to participate, we're having it last longer so that people can try to find some time to write an entry.

21. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I do, I ran out of time for the last one, and with uni and everything I might be hard to pushed to finish this one as well.

22. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    i'll give this one a go. I actually have an idea that i've been meaning to write that fits this topic.

dkt

23. renjishi

renjishi Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2006
    Great prompt! Hope I can come up with something for this challenge. The extended time is very appreciated.

24. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    So, anyone started yet? :p

25. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I'm putting my ideas together, getting some characters going. I like to have the characters at least a little fleshed out before going in. I also have to figure out my universe.

But I'm getting somewhere in the pre-writing stage, if not actually writing yet.

26. Sanctimoniously

Dec 28, 2005
    I've started.

27. renjishi

renjishi Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 2006
    Started? [face_laugh] Well, I have tossed around ideas and hopefully I can work out a little outline soon, otherwise that 10,000 word limit will be a problem.

28. the_wandering_shadow

the_wandering_shadow Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    It is so good to be back online! My computer died Friday before noon, and I have been without for almost five full days but now I'm back with a new (sort of) one, and so ready to write. I just need an idea for the prompt, that probably won't take too long.

29. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That's good to hear :) MY computer was down all of last week, so I know how you feel [:D]

It's awesome to see so many people interested in this!!

30. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I agree with NYCGurl on this matter

The more the merrier as well

31. Sanctimoniously

Dec 28, 2005
    I also concur. It looks like we're going to have quite a good contest this time round...

32. the_wandering_shadow

May 16, 2005
    And now I've got an idea forming in my head, so now I'm even more excited to get going :)

33. the_wandering_shadow

May 16, 2005
    And I've started mine now. I'll stick to it too!

34. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    So I have until Dec. 2nd to write something? I think I'm in. This will give me something to use a break when i get tired of revising my actual novel.

35. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    I think I'm going to try my hand at this, thanks to the time increase. I would've had no problems with writing it without the increase, except for a full two weeks of nothing but exams and papers due. So it'll be good to enter into some leisurely writing after I finish my papers.

36. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I've started my story. Am only 1600 words or so in.

Are there any preferences on setup beyond document type? Fonts, single-space vs. double, etcetera?

And are we allowed to break some grammar rules for dramatic effect and style? Fragments and such, if it's for a purpose?

37. the_wandering_shadow

May 16, 2005
    I'm just under 5,000 words. I know I don't have to work so fast but I'm enjoying myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.