main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Back to Chissdude's theory about the similarities between the Vong and the Roman Empire...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by _Tenel_Ka_, Feb 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    some of you may be familiar with the legend of the founding of Rome, or the twin brothers Romulus and Remus.
    This shows many similarities with the Yuzzhan Vong.

The myth goes that the two sons, born to the god of war, Mars (Ares in Greek) and Rhea Silvia, were thrown into the Tiber River by Rhea's uncle, who didn't want rivals for the throne. They didn't drown by were rescued by a she-wolf, and then raised by a shepard.
    They quarreled over a spot to build Rome, before settling on Palantine hill. Romulus built a wall, which Remus lept over to show its inadequency (sp?). Then Romulus killed Remus and became the first ruler of one of the most powerful empires ever.

Now, the similarites are fairly obvious, like the fact they were twins and had to fight and kill one to build this great empire. They were also the blood of the god of war. I'm not sure, but are the Overlords in the Vong hierarchy supposed to be descended from Yun-Yuzzhan?

Furthermore, this would go along with the theory of Chissdude's (that was quite a while ago) that the Vong could turn out like the Roman empire, being split apart because of a number of social, religious, political, and environmental reasons.

2. Nom Anor

Nom Anor TFN Books Staff star 4 VIP

Mar 4, 2000
    This theory was originally proposed by Lord Bane and can be seen at UNJOH. The parts about Romulus and Remus are new though. I didn't even think of that until reading this thread.

http://unjoh.com/comment/hannibal.html

3. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    I read that theory and thought it was very interesting. I guess it goes against my theory, but it definitely sounds plausible.
    The only reason I thought of this is because I remembered how Star Wars sometimes borrows from old myths. I was hoping Del Rey might be trying to keep up that tradition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.