main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Background Information needed: Jedi Training and Lost Twenty?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by drippyzeo, Nov 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drippyzeo

drippyzeo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Hey all...I usually frequent the FanFilms Board, but I needed some help researching for a script I'm currently outlining. I'm probably going to write out a short story first (since writing is my first love, really), and then convert it to a script.

So without further ado...

What information (besides that made available in the films and on the official website) do we have about the Jedi training process (prior to ANH, that is) and the Lost Twenty?

Specifically, what do trainees do between the "clan" stage and becoming apprenticed? If this is a grey area, I'm hoping to take advantage of it, otherwise, I'd like to know as much as possible.

In regards to the Lost Twenty...it seems odd to me that for a group that lasted over a thousand generations, only 20 people left the Jedi Order. Are there more who have left and, for some reason, are not included in the Lost Twenty? Again, if this is a grey area, I'm going to be takind advantage of it.

Any help in this would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Check out the Wizards of the Coast "Power of the Jedi" sourcebook. It has a lot of recent Jedi info.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Lost 20 have been clarified as being the only Jedi MASTERS to have left the order.

You might want to look into info on the first 1 or 2 "Jedi Apprentice" young adult books too- there's alot there about how Obi-wan got picked as a Padawan (if a Padawan isn't selected, they get sent to an agricultural corp), and that might give you some insight into the process as well.

4. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    A small note to Quet's info. If you AREN'T assigned a master, the REASSIGNMENT council are charged with finding you the new duty. Alongside working in the agricultural corps, jedi trainees may be sent ot work with Freedom's Sons, the non-force sensitive arm of the Jedi.

5. xoliver

xoliver Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2001
    The clan stage (4-8) with Yoda is the last stage of training before a Jedi initiate is taken as a Padawan (aged 7 or 8, per the Episode I DVD commentary).

Before Episodes II (and I), the EU came up with a lot more "fallen Jedi" than we now know is George Lucas's intent. That makes Anakin Skywalker's story more momentous: a single Jedi falling to the dark side is something that puts the galaxy in peril, not something that happens regularly. For the purposes of the EU, some sources have imposed qualifications on what the "Lost 20" are. Choose the version you prefer for your story.

6. drippyzeo

Jun 11, 2002
    Wow...you guys are awesome!

Thanks so much!

7. Lord_Darth_Bob

Lord_Darth_Bob Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 29, 2001
    The clan stage (4-8) with Yoda is the last stage of training before a Jedi initiate is taken as a Padawan (aged 7 or 8, per the Episode I DVD commentary).

Before Episodes II (and I), the EU came up with a lot more "fallen Jedi" than we now know is George Lucas's intent. That makes Anakin Skywalker's story more momentous: a single Jedi falling to the dark side is something that puts the galaxy in peril, not something that happens regularly. For the purposes of the EU, some sources have imposed qualifications on what the "Lost 20" are. Choose the version you prefer for your story.

Why does this strike me as hollow? You do realize Lucas' personally reads the synopsis of each novel and signs off on it and he's personally demanded changes before, so it isn't a sign-without-reading deal. He should know. And besides, if it is so rare, why would the Jedi have all their uptight rules if there was so little chance of them falling?

8. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Before Episodes II (and I), the EU came up with a lot more "fallen Jedi" than we now know is George Lucas's intent. That makes Anakin Skywalker's story more momentous: a single Jedi falling to the dark side is something that puts the galaxy in peril, not something that happens regularly

Actually, you should watch the AotCs DVD. Notice that George Lucas doesn't mention the Lost 20 anywhere. Not even as a scrapped concept. That shows you how unimportant it really weas. In fact, he says that he wanted to show that even Jedi can be tempted to join the Dark Side. Basically, he wants to show that in the end, they're human.

So, I don't really it's a matter to debate over. So far , we have two sources that have the Lost 20 as being the only Jedi to ever leave the order. They are Exanded Universe sources. Even the novel falls under that category. All you have is EU conflicting with the EU. The Aotcs novel and the visual dictionary. Chances are, it was already too late to change the information in those books.

IMO, if GL himself didn't give a second thought to the Lost 20, it's not important at all. The Lost 20 not lie solely in the realm of the Expanded Universe now. Right where they should be. [face_devil]

EDIT: The other fallen Jedi the EU created before AotCs, were post Clone Wars. There weren't that many Pre TPM fallen Jedi.

I'd also like to point out, that the Lost 20 doesn't fit very well wit the hisrtory of the Sith given in The Phantom Menace novel. The new Sith order was founded by a rogue Jedi. Other Jedi soon followed him. Soon there were 50 fallen Jedi.... So,there ya go. :p

20 Fallen Jedi Masters makes more sense. They're Jedi Masters! It would be surprising to see a Master turn away from the Jedi Order. Neither would you would never believe that a Jedi Master could turn to the Dark Side

9. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    It's interesting to note that while as of TPM padawans could be selected as young as seven or eight, during Qui-Gon's time, the minimum age was eleven.

TC

10. drippyzeo

Jun 11, 2002
    So where can I learn more about the ag corps and Freedom's Sons?

11. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Unfortunately there is very little info on either. The New Essential guide to Characters has a few mentions of Freedom Son's, while the Jedi Apprentice books (namely the first few) are your source for Ag Corps info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.