main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BackGrounds in Lightwave

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Desann2002, Sep 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desann2002

Desann2002 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    I've put a background behind my animation, but i want to make it look like the ship (an XWING) is actually moving, at the moment it looks like its just floating there, how do i make it look like its moving?

2. Sciz

Sciz Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2002
    Did you put the backdrop in with Lightwave before you rendered?

3. Desann2002

Apr 13, 2002
    yes.

ok, i'll giv it a try, er, what are spherical maps?, would they help?, i'll giv the motion blur a try.
    er, my manual doesnt read right to me, how do i activate motion blur?

4. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    what do you mean the manual doesn't read right to you ;) you aren't sneaky, we all see what's going on ;)

5. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    Your manual doesn't read "right" to you? Uh-huh...

Go to the section on camera attributes... read that, as it's *plainly* spelled out...

Fenn

6. Desann2002

Apr 13, 2002
    thanks fenn, and my brain still hasnt switched on, so dont start...lol

7. Sciz

Sciz Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2002
    ... hmm ... :)

8. Desann2002

Apr 13, 2002
    i had to buy a manual because the college i bought lightwave from (the college i go to) wouldnt giv me the one they had, but it leads me around in circles, how do i make a spherical background map, or how do i turn on motion blur? anyone know who will tell me?

9. JediDrew

JediDrew Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2002
    The manual leads you around in circles?

haha.....oh boy

10. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
    are you sure that's a real manual you are reading ;)

11. Desann2002

Apr 13, 2002
    what is it with everyone ripping it outa me today, first my hair (ok, i didnt know my cousin had dyed a silver streak down the center) now its my laclk of understanding

12. TheRealFennShysa

Oct 7, 2000
    I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here, but the claim that the university wouldn't "give" you the manual on a copy that you "bought" sounds incredibly suspicious... also, there is almost no way to "buy" a manual for Lightwave from NewTek without essentially buying the program... just how did you "buy" this manual?

The Lightwave manuals are quite clear on how to do various things... I told you exactly which section to find your answer on the motion blur problem... it's even listed in the index... it's quite plain and simple, and does not refer you to any other pages... it's under camera attributes... and yet you say it leads you in circles... another red flag, IMHO...

Once I get into work later on, I will dig up the exact page number in the Lightwave 6 manual for your motion blur question... but that's it... at the moment, I have serious doubts about the legality of your copy... I hope I am wrong...

Fenn

13. Desann2002

Apr 13, 2002
    you are wrong, it is a legit copy of lightwave 7, my college is very "odd" when i comes to manuals, we need to have the programs, but we have to have the manuals, i bought lightwave applied 6.5-7, i just dont get what its saying, but remember, i'm new to lightwave, so it will take me a while to figure it all out.

14. TheRealFennShysa

Oct 7, 2000
    If your college is "selling" you a copy of Lightwave and NOT including the manual, then they are almost certainly, IMHO, selling illegal copies... How do they expect anyone to learn the program *WITHOUT* a manual? And what about dongles? Do you have a dongle? Just what exactly are they charging you for this?

The Lightwave Applied books are *not* manuals... they are companion books that assume you have the manuals and some rudimentary grasp of the program...

If your college is *really* selling you a copy of Lightwave this way, I would suggest you contact NewTek about resolving this, as there is something incredibly fishy about this whole story... the program just does NOT come without manuals...

Fenn

15. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
    may I ask you a question?

does the bottom of the CD have a greenish color to it?

16. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    The way Lightwave is packaged, it is impossible to buy without the manual. Educational institutions have no control over what is included in the box. If they are opening the boxes, taking out the manuals, then selling them that is illegal and I would contact Newtek immediately. I purchased a educational copy of LW 7.5 and unfortunately the manual was in German. However, I contacted Newtek and we exchanged manuals. Now I have the right one. The least you could do is go to newtek.com and download the .pdf version of the manual before making up some lame excuse on why you don't have it.
    Edit: People, if you have a bootleg program don't come on here saying "oh I bought it but yada yada yada so I don't have the manual." Just say you have the program and leave it at that. You will embarrass yourself trying to make up excuses.

17. Desann2002

Apr 13, 2002
    i've already got onto the college 3 times today about the manuals, they pawn off the same stupid excuse, "We need them for study purposes". or in english, we pay the 100 quid for the program (yes, i know its cheep, brand new its way more expensive) but i think its like, we have to pay for the official manual, personally, i'll download the pdf version, that way, i know i wont loose it........

18. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
    ahem, is the readable side of the CD greenish?

19. Desann2002

Apr 13, 2002
    wha?, the disc, readable side?, greenish?, was there supposed to be?, dont tell me they, oh god they frelled me, i dont believe they frelled me, now i can get done for copyright, the total...........control, talk to dave 2morrow, find out what the hell is going on. I'm taking this to the head.

20. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    Back to your original question (because honestly I don't care if you payed for the software or not), please explain what, exactly, you are trying to accomplish?

-tm

PS The best way to tell if you have a legit version is, do you have a little USB or serial hardware dongle that has to be plugged in for the app to run without saying it's in demo mode?

21. Desann2002

Apr 13, 2002
    they frelled me
    I'm trying to make the star field behind the fighter move like its real, like in most fan films, when the ship moves, the camera pans to follow it, and the star field behind shifts like a wall with grafiti(SP?) on it, u see it froma new angle.

22. Lord_Homer

Apr 30, 2002
  23. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    Why is it that a simple question gets completely ignored so you morons can go on a warez witch hunt?! What does it accomplish? What is the point? You bitch the guy out post after post and his simple question, which has a simple answer, is completely ignored by all of you. Have you guys ever read the Lightwave manual? I have, I am an extremely intelligent person, and I too have found some of it lacking in clarity.

Get a life, for goodness' sake.

-tm

24. Desann2002

Apr 13, 2002
    Thanks for that tumblemonster, still, i dont get any closer to my goal. thanks again man.

25. Kol_Niko

Kol_Niko Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2001
    My suggestion would be to just add the 3d model of the ship to the lightwave scene (you should be able to load it directly into the scene, just resize the model as needed) instead of using a backdrop. That way you can make the ship have some motion. As for animating the backdrop, I'm not so sure. Hope this helps some. :)

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.