main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Backpacks at Celebration

Discussion in 'FanForce Conventions' started by ZeroCool69, Mar 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeroCool69

ZeroCool69 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    Have any of you guys heard anything about security and letting us have backpacks in the building at Celebration 2? Cause I really would rather not have to carry all the stuff like autographs and other goodies around all day. Putting them in a bookbag would just be so much easier. But in these days of heightened security, I can understand their concern. So if they aren't going to let us bring bags in, are they going to supply us with something to carry our stuff in?
    And for those of you planning on bringing a bag, are you just gonna bring a backpack, or are you going to create something that will go with your costume, if you are going in costume?

2. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    I'm going as a Jedi but I plan on bringing a bag of some kind. I seriously doubt they will confiscate bags. The need for security is no excuse to go crazy. All it takes are proper procedures and professional, knowledgable security people. Even after 9/11, people can travel with unloaded firearms if they follow proper procedures.

When I get back to TN I plan on e-mailing WotC. But I won't be back for another week, perhaps someone here can take the initiative and e-mail them for the real answer.

3. CaptainJia

CaptainJia Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2002
    At Celebration I in Denver, everyone got a 'goodie pack' when they arrived. I remember there being a bunch of adverts and stuff, but one of the 'goodies' was a good sized nylon-ish back-pack-type drawstring sack (It was really handy, and I still use it to this day!). Maybe they'll have something similar for us again, this time 'round.

4. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    On friday I wont be bringing one , I dont feel like walking back to the hotel if they wont allow them. After that if they r letting people bring them in I will bring mine along so I can stash my souveniers (and munchies!)
    :)

5. AttackADaClones

AttackADaClones Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2001
    At Celelbration 1 I carried around my Darth Maul back pack I found before the release date at Target. No one cared. At the most they will check the bags. IF they don't have a metal detector and they won't let us bring backpack then they are retarded. If they're serious about security they will have some kind of check point before you enter.
    I don't think it will be a problem.
    -Jason

6. cyberdude63

cyberdude63 Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2002
    I am hoping that it would not be so tough for fans to bring in stuff, I usually have a tote on wheels to keep my items safe from damage. I will have something similar at the show to keep my carded figures and goods safe.

7. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    According to the FAQ thread WotC has hired two professional security organizations. I don't think it will be the crazy over-the-top "security" that some of the smaller cheaper cons will have.

8. K-Dub_Solo

K-Dub_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2002
    I believe that if you have a bag with you, then you are more likely to spend money, because you something to carry your new goodies in. I know I will buy MUCH LESS if I have to carry it in my arms all day.

9. que4zone

que4zone Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2002
    I Emailed Wizards about the backpack thing and this is what was sent back to me:

You are more than welcome to bring your backpack with you. Just be prepared to allow someone to check it, or ask you to leave it behind if the situation arises.

Thank you,

Kristie
    Customer Service and Registration Manager
    Wizards of the Coast

Sounds good to me. I'm going to bring my pack for sure and hopefully it won't be too much of a hassle..

10. K-Dub_Solo

K-Dub_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2002
    'or ask you to leave it behind if the situation arises'

What kind of situation could happen where you would be asked to leave it behind?

11. que4zone

que4zone Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2002
    You got me??? Maybe if they find some shrunken heads in your pack or something... hehe...

12. Skaught

Skaught Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    If the Borango Backpack Virus breaks out and backpacks start mutating into giant five legged angler fish looking relatives of George Lucas and begin flossing peoples teeth at random, then I think they would be justified in asking you to leave you backpack behind.

But that's just me.

Scott

13. vadersfist

vadersfist Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2001
    You're more than welcome to bring it, just be prepared to leave it behind.

Good one.

14. JMChladek

JMChladek Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2001
    What they more then likely mean by that is a backpack will probably be okay on the floor and in the dealers room. But, in exhibit areas, backpacks wouldn't be allowed so that nobody can potentially sneak a piece of art into their pack and walk out. This is a typical con policy.

15. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    so that nobody can potentially sneak a piece of art into their pack and walk out.

Exactly, they do this at GenCon if you go into the Art room. They don't want things falling into your backpack while you're in there :-D

-Dex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.