main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Backyard Drive In Theater

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Bosh_Talk, May 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    [color=999999]For an entire generation people have experienced Star Wars unaltered the only way it's been possible. On the TV screen.....but if you've only seen it this way, you haven't seen it at all.[/color]

Now on it's 27th anniversary, the adventure of a lifetime returns to the big screen.....in a way you've seen before.

With unaltered visual effects.....Digital Sound...and a few new surprises.......

This May Chicago Force invites you to welcome back:

Luke Skywalker
    Princess Leia
    Han Solo
    Darth Vader
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Chewbacca
    C-3P0
    and R2-D2

Finally the motion picture event the way it was meant to be experienced

As the entire Star Wars Trilogy returns...on

May 28th........STAR WARS

on June 11th.......The Empire Strikes Back

then on July 17th...........Return of the Jedi

For a whole new generation that has yet to experience it on the big screen. And for everyone else to experience it again.

The Star Wars Trilogy.....

.......See it again......
    .........For the First Time.....

2. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    I just tested the sound in the back yard with the above Trailer. It still gives me chills.

3. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Freak

-Le Penguin
    "Freak!"

4. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    "Aren't we all?!" "We all go a little crazy sometimes!"

I'm there!

"They mostly come at night.....mostly!"
    Oh, and, "More people will come if you say you have PUNCH AND PIE!".

Try having whole conversations in film quotes. That pretty much guarantess your "Freak" certification and that you can have anything you want and no one but the men in white will ever bother you!

5. flippingyodacola

flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2003
    So wait.. Its a drive in? Does that mean that I have to watch the wonderous glory of Star Wars in the same car as my dad??? *shivers*

6. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    The movies will be shown in Dave's backyard (there are other threads with more details).

I've been in Dave's backyard and trust me, it's scarier than being in a car with anyone's dad. Unless he is a clown.

7. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    i hate clowns.

8. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Be in a clown car. Talk about scary. You and 57 others in a Bug.

9. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    Never say Cl*wn in my presence.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to do the screen. My projector's specs say it'll project up to 41' across....of course I don't have the broad side of a building to do such...nor a nice enough screen.

I do have the back of my garage, and after testing it out last night, I can probably get (with Widescreen) a decent 12'X10' projection on there. I'm just trying to figure out the best material. An actual projector screen at 9' across would cost me about $300 after shipping. But before I do that I picked up a 12'x10' painters Drop-Cloth, and I ordered a 12x10 white plastic tarp. Then of course there's white sheets, but you have to sew them together and there's seams. I'll experiment to see which one gives the best picture. If it's just too faded out for ANH, I'll go ahead and spring for the 9' professional screen. At lest it'll be up for ESB....even if a bit smaller. If anyone has any better ideas...let me know.

10. flippingyodacola

Oct 27, 2003
    My dad is A clown! Those who came to Paintball shouldve been able to tell.. I would prefer to be stuck in a car with Peaches, and THAT would be scary.

11. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I would prefer to be stuck in a car with Peaches, and THAT would be scary.

No.....that's certifiable.

12. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    since the event's more of a Backyard Sit-In Theater, you might want to rename it somehow...otherwise no one will bring blankets or lawn chairs so they can actually sit in the yard, and they'll want to park their cars in your yard, and they'll have to drive through your house to do that.

you don't want us to drive through your house, do you?

13. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    He might, depending on his insurance policy....

14. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    OK, just so Dartha Stuart remembers to bring her blanket or lawn chair, here's a F.A.Q.about the Summer Backyard Drive-In Movies.

Q. Can we view these movies from the comfort of our privately owned cars or motorboats?
    A. Unfortunately, as much as I'd like for you to be able to experience these movies from your car, no, there is no viable access into my back yard for anything larger than a bicycle.

Q. Should we bring blankets or lawn chairs to sit in while watching the movies?
    A. Yes, my back yard is teeming with grass crabs and biting snails. Luckily the snails are deathly afraid of lawn chairs, and mostly afraid of blankets.

Q. What about the grass crabs?
    A. If you don't look at them and pretend they aren't there they will get offended and leave.

Q. Will victuals be provided?
    A. No, I'm poor. You'll have to get your own victuals. There is a Jewel next to the El Stop, and there are 6 carry-out restaurants within a block of my house for your victual pleasure.

Q. What time should I arrive?
    A. Well, no later than 9 and no earlier than 7. We'll have some pre-movie festivities starting around 7. Feel free to pick up food and bring with. There's a convenience store next door (no booze). But there's a pub down the block with carry-out. I've also got a gas grill that I haven't tested to see if it still works that anyone's free to use. You can store drinks in my fridge.

Q. How can I get there?
    A. You can always find parking within a block of my house. It's a safe neighborhood, I'd let my sister walk to the store naked in the middle of the night, clothed only in hundred dollar bills and not worry a bit. The 35th & Archer Orange stop stop is a 10 minute walk. Hop on the bus and it's a 3 minute walk.
    The address is 3521 S. Damen. Don't bother knocking, I'm in the back yard.

Q. How much does this cost?
    A. No charge. Though low-carb treats are welcome.

15. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    Hmmmm,

Guess I'll toss ol' Wuher's traveling Cantina in the back of the truck again. (Cracks knuckles...and begins to plan a plethora of Star Warsian beverages). I'm looking forward to meeting most of ya. There are worse ways to introduce yourself then by getting people to fall outta lawn furniture. LOL

16. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    You've joined the right Star Wars club.

17. TheExecutor

TheExecutor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    Ha can some one give me a ride? I live on the north side, and I have a ton of food that I can bring, if only I can get a ride to Dave?s house! How about low carbohydrate Salads! You name it I can make it! Dave let me know what you want me to make! How about a marinated Mushroom salad, coleslaw, Hamburgers with no buns? Let me know and I will be happy to bring it.

18. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    As I tell everyone Exec' you're trully one of the most generous members we have. But worry more about getting here and then worry about bringing stuff. If you can't bring food this time, no worries.

19. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    I'm there....

and how are your neighbors going to feel about this?

20. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    sorry. i only give rides to people with HIGH-carb free food.

can't wait to bust out some potatoes, pasta and pizza at the drive-in. oh, and REAL candy bars.

21. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Exec if you want I could give you a ride.

22. flippingyodacola

Oct 27, 2003
    Hehe Peaches is gonna give you a ride...

23. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    be afraid...
    be very afraid....

24. TheExecutor

TheExecutor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    I only ask because the particulars are that my wife will be taking our car that weekend to a Kung Fu tournament and I have no wheels! I rather walk and pull a "red radio flyer" then get a ride from Hawk ?the Peach? Bat! Matthew can I interest you in a high crab brioche bun with the 10 oz Hamburgers that I am brining, for a ride! Hell with it I?ll call a cab, bosh is not far from me!

25. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Dude I live in Skokie it wouldn't bee trouble you know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.