main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bacta

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dan-yoda, Feb 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan-yoda

dan-yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    I was just wondering if Bacta was around in the Sith War time. If not, when was it created/discovered? Thanks

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It probably was, but since kolto was more useful and available, it was probably less valuable than it was during the period after the kolto harvesting stopped.

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    According to one of the X-wing novels, bacta only really came into prominent galaxywide use around the time of the Clone Wars.

4. 7-7-7

7-7-7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2002
    According to Cloak of Deception, the value of Bacta was well known and established, and it was being shipped across the galaxy in mass quantities before and during the Stark Hyperspace Conflict, over a decade before the Clone Wars.

Also, if Bacta became common so late in history, then when was Kolto production stopped, and what was used in its place between the Kolto days and the Bacta days?

5. dan-yoda

dan-yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    Thanks. Sorry for being so ignorant, but is there a such thing as a Kolto tank?

6. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Where does the Pydrian healing stick fit into all this?

7. 7-7-7

7-7-7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2002
    I don't think that there ever was a kolto tank specifically mentioned, but in KOTOR, we saw injured soldiers floating in tanks of liquid. Maybe they mixed a dose of Kolto in.

IIRC, kolto is typically turned into "medipacks" which are injected into the body via stabbing onesself in the leg with a seringue. They magically heal one almost instantly, and the healing is accompanied by a funny whooshing noise and bright lights swirling around the body (no...wait, getting my healing drugs mixed up here. Scratch that last part)

Actually, we never find out too much about what happens to kolto once it is collected.

The pydyrian sticks...well, they were well known as of the Empire, but not very common. They were typically only used on Pydyr. We didn't get much history on them, either.

8. tyderium1111

tyderium1111 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2003
    If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that experimentation with kolto replication led to the cretion of bacta. Somehow something happens that makes kolto ineffective or extinct, giving way to the rise of bacta. However, if bacta was primarily introduced around the time of the Prequels, then that would be one huge gap of time without any medicinal fluids.

Of course, this is all based on the idea that kolto became ineffective around the TOTJ era, which it most likely didn't (unless, of course, you're evil and chose to do the darkside option on Manaan in KOTOR).

9. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Perhaps bacta was cheaped than kolto, or a lot people became allergic to the latter?

10. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    According to one of the X-wing novels, bacta only really came into prominent galaxywide use around the time of the Clone Wars.

That would make a lot of sense in light of the Medistar Duology. Bacta wasn't specifically mentioned in the plots, but there's mention of some sort of anti-biotic used.

11. Mike-Sunrider

Mike-Sunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2003
    I don't think Bacta was already discovered during the Kolto days.

Perhaps Bacta is a mixture of different fluids with Kolto.

12. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    mebbe it's the same stuff, but renamed for greater marketing appeal...
    Kolto ended up having some rather poor translations when they took it to Hutt Space.

13. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I don't think Bacta was already discovered during the Kolto days.

Perhaps Bacta is a mixture of different fluids with Kolto.

No Bacta is a rejuvenatory fluid that circulates healing bacteria around a wound to speed recovery, bacta was originally created by the Vratix. The fluid contained living organisms that help speed a patient's recovery by latching onto a wound and aiding in the regeneration process. It was first created by the Vratix, on Thyferra, by combining the chemical kavam with the organic lotion alazhi.

14. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Stormtrooper_Shrink Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Interesting. I always thought that bacta (after watching my brother play KOTOR) was a refined substance of kolto. Or something along those lines.

15. cooker

cooker Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 8, 2004
    I assumed the kolto source on Manaan just dried up, or the selkath pissed off the wrong people and had their little fishbowl of a planet boiled away. Bacta may have existed at the time of KOTOR, but sine kolto was more efficient and more easily acquired, it was ignored. Only after kolto dried up did people seriously begin looking to bacta for their healing needs.

16. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Acc. to the wizards.com Thyferra article:

"For hundreds of years, since at least the time of the last great Sith war, the Thyferran government was largely an extension of two major bacta-production corporations -- Xucphra and Zaltin, both owned outright by Human interests in the Core."

The same site's Manaan article states:

The water world Manaan was, at one time, quite possibly the most important planet in the galaxy outside Coruscant. As the only known source of kolto-a miraculous healing agent that historians believe was several times more effective than modern bacta-Manaan was hotly contested by the Republic and the Sith during Darth Malak's war of conquest four millennia ago. The planet was able to maintain strict neutrality in the conflict for some time, until for mysterious reasons that are still argued in academic circles, kolto production suffered a devastating setback. Without kolto, Manaan rapidly fell into decline. Never a member of the Republic, their petition to join the body was rebuffed, causing the proud native Selkath to swear that their world would never again seek to join with offworlders for any reason.

Point 1: Kolto is entirely separate from Bacta.

Point 2: Kolto and Bacta were once both produced at the same time, but kolto trumped bacta in effectiveness. However, it is no longer available, whereas bacta is.

Point 3: Pydyrian helalign sticks were supposed to have been all the rage BEFORE Bacta, acc. to The New Rebellion, and bacta has been around since "the last great Sith War," so healing stickes assumedly predate both kolto and bacta (since kolto trumps bacta, if it had been around as long as healing sticks, they would not have been all the rage back then.

THe website introduce a blend of bacta and kolto made by the Ashern: kolcta. The site's Thyferra article reads:
    "You noted that this does not smell like bacta, and you are correct. It is not bacta. It is kolcta."

"Kolcta? What's that, some kind of super-bacta?" I asked.

"You are wise," Thranx replied. "If simplistic. Do you know what kolto is?"

"A Thyferran sabacc variant?"

"No," she chattered, and I could hear her breathing slits wheezing with effort. "It is a legend in the medical establishment. An ancient medicine that made bacta look no more potent than a strong glass of lum. But it has not grown wild for millennia."

"Where did it come from? What makes it so special?"

"We do not know whence it came, though it was definitely rich in water; the plant can't grow without a lot of it," Thranx said. "This trait is shared by the alazhi, which has allowed us to grow this hybrid kolazhi right under the noses of the cartel. The preserved seeds were acquired by my superiors on the black market, but it was Seeqov that learned how to splice the DNA into the alazhi."

"What's so special about it?" I repeated.

"For one, it can be converted into a potent healing fluid by a dying Vratix and used to heal a mortal blaster wound to a Human forehead," she offered. "The kolazhi is so potent that no refining is necessary."

"You mean you made some right here, on the spot?"

"Yes," Thranx said.

"But if any Vratix anywhere could turn itself into a 'kolcta' factory . . ."

"The cartels would have no industry to manage. We would -- how do you say, 'cut out the middleman' and finally be independent of the cartels. We would be a free people once again."

so I would place wonder cures in the chronological order:

1) Healing Sticks (still exists)
    2) Kolto (out of production)
    3) Bacta (still exists)
    4) Kolcta (limited run)

17. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    dan yoda Thanks. Sorry for being so ignorant, but is there a such thing as a Kolto tank?

Don't apologise. We all have questions. They serve as the basis for much- perhaps even most- of the discussion here.

And furthermore, I don't even know what kolto is! So where's that leave me?! :D

18. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    I wonder how hard it would be to create kolto with nanotechnology?

I wonder if the liberation of Thyferra by Rogue Squadron ended any desire by the Vratix to create kolcta?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.