main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Bad movies with great scores/main titles (media heavy)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juke Skywalker, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Wing Commander (1999)

Based on the popular video game series of the same name.

Bad movie credentials: It stars Freddie Prinze Jr. and Matthew Lillard. Likely 'nuff said, but I'll continue. The director (and also the game's creator), Chris Roberts, never directed another film. Currently holds a 4.1/10 rating on IMDb, and a %10 score (based on 48 reviews) on Rotten Tomatoes. Grossed a whopping $11,578,059 against a $30 million dollar budget.

The music: The score was done by someone named Kevin Kiner, and doesn't make much of an impression, but David Arnold (Stargate, ID4) was commissioned to write the movie's main titles, and he delivered a rousing, old fashioned symphonic masterpiece that made promises of fun and adventure that the movie itself failed to deliver on.

You certainly don't have to go into this kind of detail, but please share your favorite pieces of great music from bad movies.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Pearl Harbor:

Bad movie credentials:

It's a ****ing love triangle. Pun intended, because the first thing Kate Beckinsale does when finding out that Ben Affleck was killed in the Battle of Britain was to **** his best friend Josh Harnett.

I did like the set-up; Pearl Harbor was, if the movie got this right, the place where nothing happened and the worst naval base injury was a sunburn. Until the day that lived in infamy.

I was told by a history-major friend that the Doolittle Raid was really off though. And the main characters being complete morons overshadowed any historical accuracy that was there.

The music: I love the main theme, it's peaceful and soothing.

Far and Away:

Bad movie credentials:

Look at us! We're Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. We just got married, and we're showing ourselves off as the spoiled rebellious rich girl who wants to go to America to escape, and the poor Irish man who wants to go to America to try to make enough money to feed himself. We fall in love against her family's wishes, because all rich girls' families are snobs and hate poor men and want the rich girl to marry their hand picked ***hole instead. See also: Titanic.

Seriously, that's the story.

But...the soundtrack has both John Williams and Enya's song "Book of Days."

3. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    The music of the Movie Legend.

And the music of the movie Days of Thunder.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Great titles. Crappy movie.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Wing Commander and Far & Away are both fantastic examples of this.

By far my favorite example of this is Snake Eyes, the Brian De Palma film with Nicolas Cage & Gary Sinise. It's an absurd "mystery/thriller" about an assassination attempt at a boxing match and government conspiracies and other ridiculous things.

And Ryuchi Sakamoto (a composer who's been working since at least the 1960s) turned in his best score with this tragic, beautiful masterpiece.

Hot damn, will you listen to that? So evocative and moving.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    This is probably applicable to everything Bruno Nicolai composed for, but let's go with Sartana.

The Sartana films are a pentalogy(!) of films all starring Giani Garko in the titular role of "Blonde protagonist with suspicious motives who has goofy trick weapons." They're enjoyable but utterly disposable Django knock-offs, but Bruno Nicolai is up there with Ennio Morricone in raw ability to compose music, and it really shines through.

Of course, what's even more interesting is that the also impeccable Marcello Giombini was the composer on another one of the films, and he was a frequent collaborator with the original's director, Gianfranco Parolini. So if you're thinking to yourself "Gee, Ramza, Sartana sounds dumb as hell, but what if there was a slightly dumber rip-off made by the same guy, composed by Giombini, but starring Lee 'Goddamn' Van Cleef?" well, you are in luck, my friends. There are two.

And as for the third Sabata-not-to-be-confused-with-Sartana film? Well, that starred Yul Brynner and had music composed by...

Bruno Nicolai.

This has been an installment of My Favorite Genre is Dumb as Hell.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Cutthroat Island. Some people liked it, but I thought it was just lackluster, and I didn't buy into any of the actors in their roles. The score, however is one of the alltime great pirate movie themes.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I feel like half of everything Goblin ever composed would fit here in this thread.

tom and Ramza like this.
  9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    The International: 59% on rottentomatoes with 37% of the audience liking it.

10. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    The Prequel Trilogy

Mortimer Snerd, ophelia, Rew and 3 others like this.
  11. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    1941 (1979)

Bad Movie Credentials:

Directed by Steven Spielberg, who already had Jaws and Close Encounters of the Third Kind under his belt; one of the screenwriters was one Robert Zemeckis, with help from John Milius; featured an all-star cast in both lead and supporting roles. What could go wrong?

The Music:

Along with some of the great hits of the late 30's/early 40's, the musical score was the work of John Williams. 'Nuff said.

And in the end, the movie tried just a bit too hard.

Sarge likes this.
  12. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

I liked Cutthroat Island at the time, but it hasn't aged well at all.

13. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Which score; Tangerine Dream or Jerry Goldsmith? Probably gonna get blasted for this, but I prefer Tangerine Dream.

I absolutely love the track War from that score. I have it on my workout list.

I actually watched Cutthtroat Island for the first time about a year ago. Pretty lousy movie for sure, but two things stood out; Frank Langella and the great John Debney score.

1941 is one of only a handful of Spielberg's movies that I haven't seen (though I'm familiar with its rep), but I have listened to its score.

14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

This is my answer, as well.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Cutthroat Island! Can't believe I forgot that one. Great score; never actually saw the movie, but I'm aware of its reputation.

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Thunderbirds. Great treatment of a classic TV sci-fi adventure theme in front of an absolutely awful movie.

darskpine10 and COMPNOR like this.
  17. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Which Legend score?

I liked the soundtrack to the 1993 movie Sliver, and that was about it.

18. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    No one for Transformers: The Movie?

19. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    The pop songs definitely have The Touch, but I don't remember much about the score.

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Best example I can think of.

21. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Battle Beyond the Stars (1980)

I actually like this movie, but I fully admit that's mostly nostalgia talking. Mostly.

Bad movie credentials: Produced by Roger Corman. I could stop right there, but I'll continue. "Hero" is played played by Richard Thomas (aka John-Boy Walton). Currently rated 5.4 on IMDb and holds a %45 score (based on 11 reviews) on Rotten Tomatoes.

The Music: One of the first scores by James Horner, and all of what would become his signature sound in several mid-80s sci-fi films (Star Trek II & III, Krull, Aliens) is on full display here. Not surprisingly, Corman would recycle the score for a number of his other releases (he would also recycle many of the f/x shots produced by a young man named James Cameron).

COMPNOR, VadersLaMent and Sarge like this.
  22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    No that doesn't sound like Star Trek at all. :p

23. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  24. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    St. Elmo's Fire. Atrocious movie but a really good soundtrack.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Earthquake (1974)

This is actually one of my favorite films, but it's definitely got some iffy qualities.

Bad movie credentials: Ava Gardner plays Lorne Greene's daughter in this, despite there being only a 7-year age difference between the two. Also, George Kennedy's line "Earthquakes bring out the worst in people" is rather atrocious, as is this effects shot:

The blood splatter at the end... holy hell, how did that make the final cut? But, even with that, this film features many great practical effects. Onto the music...

Aside from the great shots of the L.A. basin/the Hollywood Hills there, I think it's a very nice, effective theme by John Williams... yes, that John Williams. It builds up to a nice, dramatic finish, and many sections of the remaining score throughout the film do a great job of setting a creepy mood.

COMPNOR and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.