main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BAFTA Video Game Award Winners

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Valyn, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Winners and video clips here.

Best Game
    Super Mario Galaxy

Sports
    Race Driver: Grid

Action/Adventure
    Fable II

Strategy
    Civilization Revolution

Artistic Achievement
    Littlebigplanet

Story and Character
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    (Okay, seriously, what?? Why does everyone keep saying that this game is so shocking and intense?)

Casual
    Boom Blox

Technical Achievement
    Spore

Gameplay
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Audio
    Dead Space

Handheld
    Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Multiplayer
    Left 4 Dead
    (Yes, this I totally agree with)

Score
    Dead Space

2. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    I'm glad Dead Space got what it did, I'm surprised about CoD though for story and characters or whatever it was. I never got past the 4th level or so in SP mode, but it didn't seem too ground breaking to me. Meh. Maybe I just need to play more then.

3. General_BlackLegion

General_BlackLegion Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2004
    Isn't Call of Duty 4 been out for like a while now??? I dunno why BAFTA will still vote for it as a Best when it is already in the market for over a year now...

4. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    CoD had a pretty good storyline, but i wouldn't have given it that by any means. although it was a pretty year for stories as a whole, i guess.

:snoopy

5. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I think COD 4 came out just after the cut off for the 2007 awards. Or something like that.

But anyway, out of the list of winners, COD4 is easily the best and most shocking story. Plus you know, the SAS kick some serious arse in that game, of course it's going to be a hit with the British. [face_flag]

6. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    Can you name another game made in the same 12 months that had a better storyline and (for an FPS) surprisingly well fleshed out characters? Cause obviously BAFTA couldn't.

7. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    that's what i meant in my post. pretty sad year for stories is what should have been said, but the sad somehow went AWOL.

8. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Not much of a stretch, but how about CoD5? The whole story with that Russian sniper was so much more dramatic and intense than anything in CoD4, imo.

9. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    because it's WWII and that's been so over done it's not even funny. CoD4 was in a setting that's not really been played around with very much in that fashion, or with that level of detail. so for that reason alone i'd give it the nod over CoD5.

10. Sabre_11

Sabre_11 Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 1, 2005
    While I definitely agree that Petrenko's story was dramatic, it was hardly original. The first russian level in itself may as well have been called Enemy At The Gates, and thats the hurdle developers face when creating WWII games because so many games and movies have come before it so its hard to bring something 'new' to the table.

COD4 however had the advantage of being set somewhere we havent spent a lot of time in and not being constrained by real events, and gave us some pretty spectacular moments too. From escaping the cargoship and leaping for the chopper, 'Aftermath', the unforgettable 'All Ghillied Up' and 'One Shot, One Kill' missions, to the epic finale in 'Game Over' and all the elements in between. Even the intro shown through the eyes of the President Al-Fulani is incredibly well done.

I'd be suprised if you could play through the entire game and not feel even the slightest emotional reaction to whats happening on screen.

11. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    CoD5 was my first taste of the CoD series--and pretty much my only WWII game except for maybe the old Wolfenstein or Command and Conquer.

So, to me, it was much better than CoD4. Heck, even the soundtrack was leaps and bounds better.

And the graphics were nothing short of stunning, imo.

But so many people insisted that CoD4 is superior, so, trusting in its popularity, I bought it...and wasn't all that pleased. There were some neat levels, I'll grant that, but so many friends talked about how the intro level on the boat was so awesome. I found it bland. And the graphics were certainly not that great.

Anyway, I'm in agreement that it's pretty sad when CoD4 is elected as having the best story during that voting period. I can't believe that no other game had a better story than that.

12. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's only the BAFTAs. :p It's probably all rigged anyway.

13. Sven_Starcrown

Sven_Starcrown Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 10, 2009
    BAFTA prize for videogames. Wow.
    I never knew about it.

14. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    'Nuff said. And you forgot about the kickass "Mile High Club" epilogue/bonus mission. Valyn, you haven't even finished the single player campaign and here you are passing judgement on the game's story as a whole. Finish the game and then we'll talk. As for the graphics, both WaW and CODIV supposedly run on the same graphics engine, so, really, one game shouldn't look that different from another. The settings and wars fought therein will definitely make for different looking environments though, so it's not exactly a fair comparison either.

15. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    "Aftermath" is just an incredible incredible level. My jaw dropped the first time i played it.

16. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I think just the emotional impact of that sequence -- following what in essence was a heroic exercise in futility on the part of Sgt. Jackson and the other Marines -- is what garnered the game many of its GOTY awards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.