main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bah to originality. Or the pathetic attempt. Bring some more "Based on" stories!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The_Four_Dot_Elipsis, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Shatterpoint. Good stuff, in my opinion. It had a strong sense of direction, it expanded the character of Windu beyond what you would have gleaned from Jackson's deadpan performance, and, in my humble, fractured, and immature opinion, it was well written. It's certainly one of the best storylines in the EU. Or at least one of the sharpest defined. Thing is, it's not original. It's Francis Ford Coppola's Apocalypse Now. Which, in turn, is based on Conrad's Heart of Darkness, which, to me, was a pain in the hindus because it forced me to think.

But these new fangled storylines...bah. Take LOTF. Three authors in a unified effort to reach what seems to be different conclusion. Of course, Denning has the upper hand, and he can bite his thumb at the others with the content of Invincible, but still, when we do the 2017 retrospective, it'll look like a disconcerted jumble of plot lines, incentives, and curious pacifist Katarns.

Legacy: "Well, there's an Empire again...and the Sith are back...but they're not quite friends this time...and there's a sort of Jedi Order...yeah...oh, and there's this blonde guy who always looks like his making a poor attempt to defacate...but, yeah, that's basically it. Also a woman with red skin. You know...as a throwback to Marvel, and a throwforward to rabid, adolscent fanboys. Yeah.

Oh, and there's this hat, which is awesome."

"Why?"

"It just is. Look at it!"

Bah.

I want to see more unoriginal plot lines, based on classic films, books, and plays. I want to see a post-LOTF novel based on The Lion in Winter, featuring Jag and Jaina Fel, who hate each other and are always trying to wrest political control from each other, and at the same time, manipulate and are the manipulatees of their three sons. That would be awesome! Yes, real conflict between the protagonists! We got a taste of it on LOTF, but Jacen kiss it better with...*sees colourful banner*...something...yeah...

Or how about something based on All About Eve...give us some really devious and manipulative characters, make Lumiya and Palpatine look like children by comparison.

Something, at least. I'm sure there are other works of literature and media that would be ripe for this kind of treatment...

2. crazythorn

crazythorn Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2007
    I want one based on The Hidden Fortress! :p

3. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
  4. browwiw

browwiw Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2007
    The blasphemer spoke ill of The Hat.

5. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Yes...I forgot about that one...

Originality and Star Wars has never mixed. The Crystal Star, anyone?

6. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >Shatterpoint. Good stuff, in my opinion. It had a strong sense of direction, it expanded the character of Windu beyond what you would have gleaned from Jackson's deadpan performance, and, in my humble, fractured, and immature opinion, it was well written. It's certainly one of the best storylines in the EU. Or at least one of the sharpest defined. Thing is, it's not original. It's Francis Ford Coppola's Apocalypse Now. Which, in turn, is based on Conrad's Heart of Darkness, which, to me, was a pain in the hindus because it forced me to think.<

It also seems to have been influenced heavily by recent events in Uganda...

TC

7. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    To the Last Man was based on Zulu, IIRC, and it was a pretty spiffy comic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.