main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bail and Mothma SENIOR Senators?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ParanoidAni-droid, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I was wondering if a few of you EU junkies could reach in to your archival memories and help me with a question which has been on my mind for some time now.

Just what exactly constitutes a SENIOR Senator? I've read various sources, including the OS, stating that both Bail Organa and Mon Mothma held this title. So how do they differ from regular senators?

This opens up the question of "who else was a senior senator?" Iblis, possibly? Palpatine? Amidala, even?

2. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    My guess would simply be that they have been in the senate longer. Given the time frame of PT, Bail and Palpatine were probably sernoir senators (if such a thing realyl exists) but Mon Mothma and Padme would be too young (Padme for sure)

3. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    A good analogy is found in the US Senate today. Take Virginia (my home state) as an example.

We have two senators, John Warner and George Allen. John Warner has been a Senator for at least the last 12 years (I don't rememeber the exact year of his election). George Allen was only elected last year. Because of that, Senator Warner is the senior senator from Virginia and Senator Allen is the junior senator from Virginia.

I assume that the Old Republic uses similar nomenclature for their senators.

Kimball Kinnison

Edit: Well, what do you know. I finally hit 50 posts.

4. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    fenton, I'd sure like to know how you can be making statements about Mon Mothma's age. She could be just as old as Bail Oragana. and remember that Organa wasn't even mentioned in TPM, that was Bail ANTILLES of Alderaan.

5. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I always thought each system had a group of Senator's representing them in the Senate. As it's said in many novels that Leia was a Senator, but greatly helped her father within the senate with his duties. Mon Mothma too.

The group would be made up of a level of Senator's. the more experienced are Senior Senators. the others are junior Senators who are just starting their career's.

That's my take anyway. ;)

6. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
    So the amount of time in which you hold the paticular offices determines whether your a senior or not?
    In that case, shouldn't Iblis be one? I don't really follow NJO so is Leia still a senator? If SHE'S considered senior, so should Amidala (not "Padme" as someone mentioned) since it's been some ten years since TPM. Well, that's assuming she replaced Palpatine immediately after he was elected Chancellor.

After thought: Why was Mon Mothma "too young?" If she had served as a senator almost all the way up until it's disbandment in ANH she would have served almost as long as Bail. The essential guide to characters, not to mention the OS, also calls her Senior.

7. InnocentIII

InnocentIII Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    Senior senator sounds to me like just an honorary title. Someone who's been in the Senate a while. Or, it could be the head senator of the delegation from a system. Or both. They both make sense. Do any books deal with this? I can't think of one that does...

8. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    First Mon Mothma is about 45 - 50 in RotJ, in the pictures we have of BAIL he seem to be about - 35, maybe a little older - add on 25 or 26 years - ya that would make Bail older then Mon Mothma. We'll probably see Mothma in a cameo type role in E3 to link the character to RotJ.

I thinkt he idea about the sr. and jr. Senator's make sense, but Padme becomes a senator quit quickly (and she does have a vote in the senate). This probably means each planet/sector/orgination has one senator and he/she in turn has aides, and those aides are the people who most likely take over the job when the time comes.

In NJO Leia in not a senator, but an ambassitor (yes, I know I spelled it wrong). As for Padme - yes in AotC she will be Senator padme, Amidala was her "royal name". In AotC we will find out her term as queen ran out and a new queen - Jamilla I believe -was voted to the office. Amidala then went back to using her birth name, Padme, and joined the Republic senate.

9. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
    Thank you, Fenton.
    However, would you please refrain from using any spoilers in your future posts? I noticed a bit of this in the "Vader thread" and I can honestly say the whole Jamilla thing was a bit more than I wanted to know.
    I want to be able to read this thread without feeling risky.
    Thanks!

10. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Then next time don't imply I don't know what I'm talking about.

11. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    We don't have to imply anything. ;)

Mon Mothma is 16, I believe, during TPM. That is just before Palpatine ceases to be a senator, so all debates with him and Organa must be previous to this date. That is her current age as we know it, according to the Guide to the Star Wars Universe, 2nd Edition.

12. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
    Geez, Fenton! Are you for real?!
    I asked a simple request (which incidently is the is the site policy anyway)out of civility. I'm sorry... was there a better way to ask you not to spoil the hell out of me?

Who's implying what ever your about? I'm talking about a character here, buddy, not you! This IS the SW forum, after all... as opposed to the FENTON FORUM! (God Forbid!)
    I didn't even take not that you were the one who wrote that comment. The only reason I even brought the damn thing up (if only briefly) was because THIS piece of info from the OS leads one to belive that Amidala is the name used in ALL of her political offiliations:

"When her term ended, Amidala was constitutionally obligated to step down as Queen, though the public would have easily backed an amendment allowing her to serve longer.

Still passionate about public office, Amidala served Naboo and the new Queen as Senator, taking the position once occupied by Palpatine. In a galaxy undergoing tumultuous changes, her outspoken nature shone as a beacon of reason and rationality in an increasingly fragmented Senate.

Amidala's beliefs led to her becoming targeted by violent parties working outside the system. Finding her life in danger once more, Amidala was offered the protection of the Jedi Knights"

13. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Senator Simon Greyshade would certainly be a Senior Senator. After the Imperial Senate was placed under the Palaptine-instituted temporary cease-and-decist order, Greyshade was one of the few who openly carried his Senator title and leveraged his vast influence in keeping the Empire out of his jurisdiction. As his sphere of influence accounted for the large majority of money going into the Imperial coffers, he most likely would have sat on and/or headed all of the prestigious finance commitees within the Senate. It's not known when he became a Senator, but it most likely would've had to have been in the Prequel era.

14. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    You also forgot to include "Born Padmé Naberrie, Queen Amidala was the formal name of the royal leader of Naboo." - Padme is her real name and the name she uses in AotC.

In your last post you said "... Amidala (not Padme as someone said) - gee, I wonder who you were talking and what you were meaning - could it be you meant Fenton, and that he was wrong, her name is Amidala and not padme?

15. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Wasn't Greyshade some official at Carida a few years before ANH? He did oversee Mako Spince's banishment in the Dark Empire Sourcebook. ;)

By the way, Padme has dropped the "Amidala" as of AotC. She's just Senator Padme Naberrie now.

16. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Yes, as far as I know that is the same grayshade.

17. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Sturm Padme doesn't really "drop" the Amidala name. She is no longer the queen so she has to use her real name, not her "royal" name. Had she stayed on and tried to be re-elected (and she should have been) she would have kept Amidala.

18. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I was cutting to the chase.

19. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    The Essential Guide to Characters, entry: Mon Mothma:

Those same principles helped Mon Mothma gain senatorship when she was barely an adult. Although the Old Republic was already being eroded, Mothma fought hard for the things she believed important, even when she was challenged by the ambitious Senator Palpatine, whom she didn't trust. Despite Palpatine's opposition, Mothma was elected to the post of senior Senator of the Republic--and was the last to hold that title.

So this suggest that being senior senator was not determined by the number of years one served, but by being elected. So this would suggest that the position may be closer to Speaker of the House, or President of the Senate. Using the US Senate example, this could suggest that Senior Senator would be the equivalent of the Vice President, but probably with more duties. The US VP is suppose to serve as President of the Senate, though seems to have little authority except in the case of a tie vote.

This also hints at her age when she becomes a senator. Barely an adult would be about 18 through the early 20s, probably 22 or 23. Leia was the youngest person ever to become a senator, however, I can give her age when she became a senator right now. My guess would be about 18, though she might have been even younger. So if we say Leia became a senator at 18, Mon Mothma could not have been any younger than 19 when she became a senator.

20. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    In Rebel Dawn, Winter says that the age Alderaanians go off to assume adult responsibility is when they're 17. Leia became a senator at 17 or 18, likely within the year leading up to ANH.

However, if we go by Mothma's only official age that we know of right now, as I mentioned, and it's while Palpatine is still a senator, she would have to be 16 and a Senior Senator.

Is it too hard to imagine this as possible?

Also, concerning Leia's age...If she was the youngest member of the Senate then, maybe Mon Mothma held some type of senator position that didn't affect Leia being the youngest?

Maybe Mothma was the youngest Senior Senator ever, and Leia was the youngest Sectorial Senator of all time?

21. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001
    Intriging... is that from the old essential characters or the new one? Or is the new one even out? (Gosh, I'm out of it!)

Does that little bit of info mean she was a senator during TPM?

And is The role of senior senator, based onKnight 1192's info, simular then to what the chancellor was doing in TPM? That about fits the role of VP, no?

22. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    The new Essential guide is out in April.

Yes, from the information we have, Mothma had to have been a senator around the same time that Palpatine was elected Chancellor.

23. ShadesOfGrey

ShadesOfGrey Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2001
    Its kind of mentioned in The New Rebellion, and the system sounds similar to the one Kimball_Kinnison mentioned. As for Bail Organa's age, that simple. He is round about Jimmy Smitt's age in Episiode 2.

24. ParanoidAni-droid

Nov 27, 2001

In light of all the new information on senators being mentioned at the new holonet site, let's see if we can't elaborate on some of these older ideas.

25. oOo

oOo Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2002

Android: I saw this thread a while back and forgot to comment so I dug it up. I think a senior senator is like the main speaker for the system like Palpatine and Yaruna and the other people in the booth with them are lesser, secretorial senators.

So I think it's safe to conclude that Bail was a senior senator too while that camaasi friend of his shown with Winter in Rebel Dawn (I forget his name) is like a lesser senator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.