main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bail Antilles vs Bail Organa?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by menttality, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. menttality

menttality Jedi Master

May 26, 2002
    This is something that has confused me since TPM. Nominations for the chancellor include Bail Antilles of Alderaan. The first time I heard that I thought, well I guess GL decided to change the name from Organa to Antilles. But then in AOTC, of course, the senator from Alderaan is named Bail Organa. Why the dual names being mentioned? I assume that this won't really be answered in the next movie, but I'm curious to see if anyone has any information or ideas on why this possible inconsistency occurred.

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Bail is a common name around the galaxy, just like Antilles. The OS "Ask the JC" did something on this subject.

As for why Lucas did it... maybe to plant thoughts in the viewers' mind ("Who's that? Bail Antilles? Not Bail Organa? What's going on?")... as of course that scene in TPM plants a very important "Who's who and what's going on?" question later!

But I'm not sure this question belongs in the Ep3 forum. AOTC or TPM perhaps? ?[face_plain]

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. Malaki

Malaki Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2003
    I had seen this topic somewhere before and the question was answered quite well, too. However, I don't remember where it was, since it was a while ago. :(

4. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    Here's the info from the OS.

"Question: Are Bail Antilles and Bail Organa supposed to be the same character?

Answer: With the recent announcement that Jimmy Smits will play Bail Organa in Episode II, this previously unseen character is getting a lot of attention. Bail Organa is Princess Leia's adoptive father, and a representative from Alderaan. He perishes when the Death Star destroys that peaceful world in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope.

Bail Antilles is also an Alderaanian politician. When Chancellor Valorum was ousted from office by a vote of no confidence, three nominees lined up to take his place: Ainlee Teem from Malastare, Palpatine from Naboo, and Bail Antilles from Alderaan. Although the scene was ultimately left out of the finished film, the script to Episode I shows that these two men were conceived of as separate characters. Both are mentioned. Bail Organa seconds the vote of no confidence; Bail Antilles is nominated to succeed Valorum.

Two Bails, two different characters. It should be noted that "Antilles" is sort of the Star Wars equivalent of "Jones," and "Smith." There have been numerous characters throughout the films, books, and expanded universe material named Antilles, but almost none of them are directly related. For instance, Corellian hotshot starfighter pilot Wedge Antilles is not related to Bail Antilles. Nor is he related to C-3PO and R2-D2's former master, Captain Antilles, the Rebel officer whom Vader chokes to death in the opening moments of A New Hope."

This question can be found here. Hope that helps! :)

5. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    I've got $20 on Organa.

:p

6. menttality

menttality Jedi Master

May 26, 2002
    I appreciate the explanation Adi, that makes sense. The thing i still wonder about though, is Bail really a common name on Alderaan, or is some sort of title. Like a Duke or Thane?

7. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    It's a name, Like Bob or Tom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.