main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bail Antilles???

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi_KNick, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_KNick

Jedi_KNick Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2003
    Does anyone know what's up with this?

I read Cloak of Deception and it talks about a senator named Bail Antilles. Is it just a coincidence that Bail Antilles and Bail Organa are both in the senate and that Bail Antilles has the same name as Wedge?

-KNick

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Bail Antilles, Bail Organa and Wedge Antilles are all completely different and unrelated characters.

3. Jedi_KNick

Jun 16, 2003
    Thanks. They should've made different names, though.

-KNick

4. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Lucky for you you didn't read the novelization to ANH and meet Captain Antillies. Again, not related to Wedge, and in the movie he became Captain Colton.

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Actually, you have that backwards. It's Captain Antilles in the movie, and Colton in the novelization.

6. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Are Bail Antilles and Bail Organa supposed to be the same character?
    With the recent announcement that Jimmy Smits will play Bail Organa in Episode II, this previously unseen character is getting a lot of attention. Bail Organa is Princess Leia's adoptive father, and a representative from Alderaan. He perishes when the Death Star destroys that peaceful world in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope.

Bail Antilles is also an Alderaanian politician. When Chancellor Valorum was ousted from office by a vote of no confidence, three nominees lined up to take his place: Ainlee Teem from Malastare, Palpatine from Naboo, and Bail Antilles from Alderaan. Although the scene was ultimately left out of the finished film, the script to Episode I shows that these two men were conceived of as separate characters. Both are mentioned. Bail Organa seconds the vote of no confidence; Bail Antilles is nominated to succeed Valorum.

Two Bails, two different characters. It should be noted that "Antilles" is sort of the Star Wars equivalent of "Jones," and "Smith." There have been numerous characters throughout the films, books, and expanded universe material named Antilles, but almost none of them are directly related. For instance, Corellian hotshot starfighter pilot Wedge Antilles is not related to Bail Antilles. Nor is he related to C-3PO and R2-D2's former master, Captain Antilles, the Rebel officer whom Vader chokes to death in the opening moments of A New Hope."-starwars.com

7. Jedi_KNick

Jun 16, 2003
    Thanks for explaining, Valiento.

-KNick

8. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Yes, you're right, Bib. Thought it was the other way around, but when you corrected me, I tried to picture the scene from the movie. Can hear Anthony Daniels saying Captain Antillies better than I can hear him saying Captain Colton.

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I think the EU explained that his complete name is either, "Raymus Colton Antilles", or "Colton Raymus Antilles", in one or more source books, IIRC.

10. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Perhaps there is at least one that does that. It does seem that it would have to be explained why Threepio tells Luke one name for their former master in the book and a different name in the movie.

11. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well I did some looking, and one source that ties the name colton, and antilles together as one person is Guide to star wars 3rd edition(probably in 2nd edition too).

But no refrence to the name Raymus within that book, and I'm not sure which sourcebook gave him the name Raymus.

12. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    From the second edition of A Guide to the Star Wars Universe, page 75:

Captain Antilles

Captain Antilles commanded the Alderaanian consular ship Tantive IV. C-3PO claimed that he and R2-D2 belonged to the captain until the ship was captured by the Empire. In the novel version of Star Wars, this character was called Captain Colton. [SW, SWR]

And from page 76 of the same book:

Captain Colton

See Captain Antilles.

So all the second edition of AGttSWU does is say same character, different name used in the novel from the movie. If the third edition says both are a part of his name, then that's certainly bringing the two sources together.

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I interpret that differently than you, myself. I see it as saying these names are for the same character, officially and continuity wise(Guide to star wars never covers AU or infinities stuff). So his name would have to be Colton Antilles due to the fact that they are the same person, and by the movie itself we know Antilles was his last name.

Beyond that, I'm almost certain there is another source that tied the the name together all into one.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/images/cut_scenes/ep1/bail_antilles_dunbar.jpg]
    Bail Antilles

[image=http://www.theforce.net/timetales/tt1-8/bail.jpg]

Bail Organa

[image=http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tactics/Vader.jpg]

Captain Antilles

[image=http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/anewhope/light/images/wedgeantilles.gif]

False Wedge Antilles

[image=http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/deathstar2/light/images/wedgeantillesredsquadron.gif]

True Wedge Antilles

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Lucasbooks just isn't very consistant, [face_mischief], ;).

They have problems when different actors portray the "same characters", to the point that they rename the characters during the prequel era. Yet they forget the original example of this happening before in the movies, ;). Such as Wedge Antilles, and the other actor that played Wedge Antilles.

Course I'd laugh if lucas used more TPM stock footage for the jedi council scenes :p, like it has been he did in AOTC...

Though on a related note it's nice to know that they made a fix for Palpatine not always being played by the same actor ;), with the whole using various clones before ROTJ plot line.

16. von_Drone

von_Drone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2003
    HA! I didn't know there was a FALSE Wedge :) :) :) I don't like his looks for the person in question :)

17. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    don't forget the other Antilles of the SW galaxy:

Netherlands Antilles

umm... actually.. meet the Lesser Antilles:

Jagged and Zena Antilles (Wedge's parents)
    Syal Antilles (Wynssa Starflare, wedge's sister, soontir fel's wife)
    Syal and Myri Antilles (daughters of Wedge and Iella, and who get no real mention)
    Corellia Antilles (female xenoarchaeologist, no relation to anyone)

thanks to 2ndquest for putting up the photos of the antilles and bails etc.

(don't forget Bail Lars.. anakin solo's alias)

18. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Ahem, Iella Wessiri Antilles, ;)(wife of Wedge Antilles)

19. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    Iella's more than a Lesser Antilles but less than a Greater Antilles, so i didn't include her on purpose ;)

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Jon Antilles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.