main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bala-Tik

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MotivateR5D4, Apr 16, 2016.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Are we going to see more of him?

He seems pretty badass, the unmasked commander of a squad of mercenaries, survivor of a Rathtar massacre aboard Han Solo's vessel, seemingly fearless and aggressive, in communication with somebody who is in communication with the First Order.

A very Shadows of the Empire type character.

What's his background?

Good comic book series at the least.

2. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I liked this guy.

[​IMG]

3. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Actually, I found that character to be one of my only Dislikes of TFA. Seemed a bit more Star Trek or something. Should have been less human IMO.

4. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    of course he'll be back he's Scotish like Ewan which means he's a Kenobi and as we all know dialects are inherited and there should always be a Kenobi in SW. Bala-Tik Kenobi confirmed.[face_clown]

5. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Dra---

I would have definitely liked him to have a more alien entourage. Or for the Kanjiklub to at least have some aliens in their crew. But I thought his Glaswegian accent, and his delivery of the dialogue, really sold him as a true space pirate. I believed every word he said.

6. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Which is why my immediate comparison to that whole sequence was that it seemed more like something out of a Shadows of the Empire type storyline. Something outside of what we regularly see in the SW universe conceptually, but still relevant to the overall storyline.

Either way, he certainly made his presence known. Question is, is he here to stay? Or was he simply a plot device used to advance the Han Solo narrative?

Dra--- likes this.
  7. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Why should we believe this thuggish chap has such a clean little baby face? He looks like a McDonald's employee cosplaying SW hooligan. :p

You know: why no scars or cyborg eye/nose?

8. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Tell that to Kanjiklub...

9. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    The accent was terrible for SW, just didn't fit at all.

Duke Vadewalker and JDN21 like this.
  10. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I just think the guy's a good actor, and really sold a small role that a lesser actor might have phoned in. And I don't see what's wrong with moving beyond standard British RP and American accents in Star Wars. Gives the GFFA some more color.

11. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    So you would have preferred Vader voiced by Prowse?

12. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

You don't really consider that a logical follow-up question, do you? Vader was the main villain of the OT, not a third-rate space pirate.

The more logical question would have been: "So you think David Prowse could have voiced a farmer on Tatooine, or a smuggler in the cantina?" To which I would reply: "yes."

And it wouldn't be the first time we had a colloquial accent in Star Wars. Cornelius Evazan in the Mos Eisley cantina has a vaguely Cockney/ West Country mashup accent, and nobody complains about that being "terrible for SW":

13. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    JabbatheHumanBeing "And it wouldn't be the first time we had a colloquial accent in Star Wars. Cornelius Evazan in the Mos Eisley cantina has a vaguely Cockney/ West Country mashup accent, and nobody complains about that being "terrible for SW":

Not even vaguely. You don't have any clue about English accents do you?

14. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    ****ers.

Maybe Brad Pitt could play a part...

The Jaded Irk and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  15. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

You're pretty much an ******* most of the time, aren't you? ;)

I read it as an odd mix of the two. With some flat RP in there as well. It's not an accent I've ever heard, which is why I described it as a mashup. And as someone who lived in Bristol for a good chunk of my life, yeah, I know something about English accents.

For comparison, here's someone doing a North Devon accent. I hear a flatter version of that in Evazan's voice, mixed with...a few other influences. So I stick by my assessment.

16. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    his entourage are cyborgs. that's pretty alien.

17. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

I don't mind those guys, but wish there was a variety. More of a motley crew.

TK327 and Satipo like this.
  18. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I don't mind his accent. I just think his face looked too free from the kind of wear and tear you'd expect from that kind of work.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  19. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

I think they were going for a "Han can't keep up with the young pirates in the business" kind of thing. He even tells Han: "Your game is old." So the baby face was deliberate casting, IMO.

There are lots of young upstarts in the film, actually.

20. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I liked both gangs and found the entire sequence fun, especially on later viewings. I hope that seeing as Rey is just as much Han's successor as she is Luke's (which means she is totally a female Lone Star) that these guys will come after her and Chewie.

What would be hilarious and cool would be if they ran into her somewhere, started making threats, then suddenly Luke steps out and they all scatter like roaches upon the sight of him.

11-4D, TK327, DaddlerTheDalek and 3 others like this.
  21. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I like that reading of the character. I still would have added a small scar or two. ;)

22. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    JabbatheHumanBeing "You're pretty much an ******* most of the time, aren't you?"

Most certainly, but I can spot a ****-******* a mile off.

23. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

Ha!

In any event, I stand by it. Evazan's accent sounds like some weird Westcountry/ Cockney/ RP hybrid. That's what my ears pick up. You disagree, and yet have nothing more to say. What does his accent sound like to you?

ETA: And your ability to spot a ***-******* a mile off clearly didn't function very well in regards to MSW, who were right about nearly everything you said they were wrong about. Which can only lead to one conclusion: you're a ***-******* yourself. I would have spotted it, but I'm more than a mile off.

24. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I mean, come on COJ, it's not like you're correct often, or ever. :p

25. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I know what I am, and don't pretend....