main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Bala-Tik

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MotivateR5D4, Apr 16, 2016.

1. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    So all of your theories that never pan out...you're not pretending to be sure about those?

Dra--- likes this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  3. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Bala-Tik is clearly a very divisive character...

Django Fett and Dra--- like this.
  4. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014

I like him - I like the random Scottishness - but a few more aliens in that sequence wouldn't have hurt, and had he been an alien that could also have been cool.

5. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah I totally dug him. And the Guavian(sp?) Death Troopers or whatever they're called are creepy, especially when you learn about what they are.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  6. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    I just couldn't take the character seriously - besides his Glaswegian accent, the Harry Potter was strong on this one..

Duke Vadewalker and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  7. MotherNature's SilverSeed

Feb 4, 2013
    Yeah but you should see his helmet.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  8. syferdiasisalie

syferdiasisalie Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2004
    He'll be back just like Sebulba was.

9. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Yeah. There was something Droogish about them. The young punks who come to beat up the old guy. Appropriate for the scene.

Han's old and slipping. He can't out-talk these young whipper-snappers. He can't reach them, because they ain't listening to an old coot, no matter his reputation. And that even foreshadows Han's inability to reach his young son. Pretty sad, actually...

10. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    The Guavian Death Gang was one of my favorite new designs. Another example of a great Star Wars character design given almost nothing to do in the story. Bala-tik was only really interesting because of his back-up band.

11. MotherNature's SilverSeed

Feb 4, 2013
    No Galaxy For Old Men?

EDIT: To pile on this guy's praise (seriously, I'm not doing it in an attempt to mount a counteroffensive to your thoughts, Dra---; reasonable points), I 100-eleventy% agree with you, JabbatheHumanBeing when you say "I believed him." That's exactly why I thought he was great. The way he says "Hahn Sulloh" is just--I dunno, I bought it hook/line/sinker. To quote a comment I just made at some dude's free-associaton, stream-of-consciousness Bala Tik-centric youtube video where he also says the actor (Brian Vernel) is Irish--

Hey man, I really like this "review" of Bala Tik, and I couldn't agree more. One of the few unsung/underappreciated characters of the movie. In fact, I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard more about him. Definitely one of my favorite parts. I want this Vernal fella to get many, many more parts. The way he just strolls in with this enigmatic and imposing posse and confidently asserts "Yoor-eh did mahn" is just damn perfect.

Here's a 3-minute interview with the actor, Brian Vernel:

12. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Yes. No Galaxy for Old Men!

13. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Bala-Tik is an insult to Luke!

14. Duke Vadewalker

Duke Vadewalker Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 5, 2016
    Hard to believe anybody took Bala-Tik seriously - he's portrayed like a minor comedy villain from the Police Academy, but with such a pronounced accent that it has the immediate effect of taking you out of the film, like being doused with a bucket of water. I'm British and love Scots accents, but it really doesn't feel like it belongs in the GFFA, any more than a Brummie, Manc or Scouse would.

I also do suspect that he and the Scottish X-Wing pilot are only there due to that unnecessary "other planets have a North" line they pulled in Doctor Who...

Gonk Droid and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  15. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Bala-Tik's youth is clearly a deliberate contrast to Han. I think it was a smart choice. It shows that Abrams thinks about these sorts of things in ways that most action movie directors don't. There's a thematic and character rationale behind it. He's not just a smuggler.

I really don't understand why flat broadcaster American accents and a RP British accents are more appropriate than Scots accents. Or other accents for that matter. Fans clamor for something new, and when they get it, "it just doesn't belong."

16. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Give this guy a comic series!

17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    As they say, I fixed it for you. :p

starocean90 likes this.
  18. Duke Vadewalker

Duke Vadewalker Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 5, 2016
    It
    It's precisely *because* the flat/rp speech doesn't prompt you to think "Oh, he's actually from Texas/Glasgow/Sydney/Birmingham/whathaveyou" that this works for the GFFA, while regional accents do not.

RP voices don't pull the viewer out of the cinematic experience at an inappropriate moment.

Plus, when people talk about wanting to see something new, they're generally talking about ships, aesthetics and locations *in the GFFA* not what random real-world dialects they can force in. Otherwise Jabba and Greedo may as well have been speaking Hindu instead of Huttese.

Think of it this way: it'd be like sticking a New Yorker accent in the middle of The Lord of the Rings. ;)

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  19. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    It's nothing like sticking a New Yorker accent in the middle of The Lord of the Rings because the Lord of the Rings builds from Northern European myth, and has a very clear ethno-cultural pedigree. The GFFA is a massively diverse world of multiple star systems with no singular ethno-cultural identity.

The idea that all English-speaking humans in Star Wars either speak RP English, or flat broadcaster American English, is more immersion-breaking for me than a variety of accents, which reflect a geographical diversity. A range of accents in the GFFA is an asset, IMO, that could give the world more richness and verisimilitude.

In that context, I thought Bala-Tik's Scots accent was great. And not too much of a departure from Cornelius in the Mos Eisley cantina, who spoke neither RP English nor flat broadcaster American.

20. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

If you are British, you might be sensitive to it just because you are so familiar with regional variations. But what about non-British accents? Do you have an issue with Temura Morrison's Kiwi accent? I don't see an issue with a Scottish accent. In fact, when I heard it, I got a big grin on my face. I thought it added a lot of texture to what could have been a a throw-away character. I mean, if we can accept British RP, and various American accents, why not Scottish?

21. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I don't have a problem with any regional accent being used in Star Wars, whether British, or not. Bala-Tik's was perfectly fine. Actually, I'd quite like to see Sean Bean in a Star Wars movie one day, and I think his accent would fit fine - though I'm originally from just down the road from him, so I may be biased. :)

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  22. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I hope he doesn't return. I might want to see them try to create character who Bala Tik answers to. Something a little more imaginative like Jabba. King Prana could serve in that sense, though.

23. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Yes a million times to Sean Bean's Yorkshire accent gracing the GFFA.

Though his casting would be a huge spoiler in and of itself, as he would most certainly...die.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Why is this thread still talking about accents?

Immortiss likes this.
  25. Rimfaxe96

Rimfaxe96 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2016

Man, they really worked out a lot of mask designs for VII, didn't they?

However, I don't expect to see more of him. He most likely became rathtar fodder.