main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Balance of Power (continuity quesiton on the game)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Aragorn327, Jul 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Ok, so in Balance of power, there's two campains, for the Rebels and the Imperials.

In one, the Rebels destroy the SSD Vengence.

In the other, the Imperials destroy the Rebel base.

Which is right? Or is there some way they fit together?

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    It has been a long time since I played BoP, but I believe the SSD is destroyed during the attack on the Rebel base. So they do fit in together.

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Most of the X-Wing series of games are loosely fit into continuity, but usually not to well. Remember , the first X-Wing would have you think that Keyan Farlander destroyed teh Death Star.

4. ChicagoCubs

ChicagoCubs Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2002
    I don't believe that is entirely true. From what I've heard, you are playing as Luke when you blow up the death star.

5. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    That is true, the strategy guide novella says as much, that luke was flying the x-wing in that mission(story is from his POV for that level). Keyan is flying a Y-wing according to the guide at that point in the battle.

Most of X-wing series fits just fine, if an error exists, the error may not fit into continuity, but that doesn't negate the rest of the story at all, but only the error itself. Many times an error may be a perceived error(but not really an error) from the fact that people don't have the entire story, from both the game and the officially released strategy guide.

In anycase an error in a video game with an original story, is no different than an error cropping up in other sources such as the novels, comics, or other media. In which case LFL either, ignores the error, makes a fix so that it can fit, or says the error is not part of continuity, they do not throw out the entire story.

6. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Right. The strategy guide says you play as Luke.

7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    That may be true, but many parts of the various games are sometimes excluded from continuity for the sake of a smooth timeline.

8. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    If by sticky elements you mean, "gameplay mechanics", correct, those are often times an issue that LFL doesn't take into account for continuity issues.

But as for the stories, which for the most part fit in smoothly LFL has most often refrenced the story in various sources, and they consider them "canon".

"May 30, 2003

The preface to David West Reynolds's article says that Lucasfilm gave its "formal imprimatur" of canon to the ICS books he wrote, and did so for at least one of them back in '99.... It seems to go against everything Sansweet and Cerasi said in 2001, and the official site's placement of the books in the EU section."

Perhaps your confusion is with the meaning of Lucasfilm. "Lucasfilm canon" refers to anything produced by any of the Lucas companies, whether it be movies, books, games, or internet. "Movie canon" is only that which you see and hear in the Star Wars films.
    -Star Wars Editor, Leland Chee, starwars.com VIP thread

The ICS books are canon. They don't carry the "Infinities" icon, so are considered part of canon. Chris ranked canon, i.e., the films and novelizations come first... meaning that if something in an EU novel or comic book or whatever contradicts something in the film, the film is more "true." Books in the EU are considered part of the canon of the universe.
    -Star Wars Editor, Sue Rostoni, starwars.com VIP thread

Most of the X-wing games sticky elements for instance were most often explained away in their resource guides, articles in other sourcebooks, and starwars.com, etc.

Other sticky elements, the element is most likely excluded by LFL themselves, but that does not mean the rest of the entire story is. Same as with the novels, and other media that have "sticky elements".

Of course if a story, or part of the story is not an original story, but tries to retell the movies, the movies version of the scenes is what really happened.

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Sometimes, when I kill an enemy, I get a 1-UP. It gives you an extra life, and you even hear a brief musical jingle at times.

I believe, thought it's to be confirmed, that's how Luke has survived so much so long. Every set number of stormies he kills, he gets a 1-UP bonus.

I know it's not continuity, but it sure explains a lot of his success.

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    In other word's a gameplay mechanic, ;)

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Actually, there are a few problems. First, many ships are portrayed incorrectly in the games. In X-wing vs. Tie fighter, dreadnaughts are portrayed all wrong. As are the Mon Cal cruisers. Oh, and the Neb B frigates. The list goes on and on. In X-Wing Alliance, Home One is called Independence. While some have come up with ideas to fix this, (Home One is a code name, for example.) While I own and still play all of the games: X-Wing, XW vs. TF, BoP, Alliance etc, they aren't just that accurate. Just look at Star Wars Rebellion. Half of the planets are in the wrong places/sectors. They put Mon Cal in the Sulis Sector, which by the way are on opposite sides of the galaxy. They call the sector Coruscant is in Sesswenna. The Sesswenna sector is in the Outer Rim. These games are fun, but not exactly perfect fits for continuity.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ship appearance variations can be attributed to customizations or variant production lines (much how there are so many different ISD-ish capital craft used by Imperials in the marvel series).

Wasn't Rebellion mainly an in-universe simulator of some sorts?

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Ya, rebellion is mostly in-universe simulator(albeit most likely simplified for gameplay issues on earth), it doesn't really have a story, and it's narrated by various droids who tell you how to pause time, speed up time, etc etc. They also give you access to a in-game ship/characters/units encyclopedia that covers technologies, units, and people that exist from OT-NR eras. It has no story to fit into continuity, and is mostly useful for the tidbits found in the encyclopedia.

As for complaining about graphics used on ships, that's has to be about the biggest amount of anal retentive nitpicking that I've heard from anyone, in a long time. If that's the biggest arguement you have, then you need to try harder, you are really stretching. Artistic license has nothing to do with what is and isn't continuity. Artistic license also varies among comics, novels, and other sourcebooks artistic rendering for various matters as well.

Course 2nd-quest is right, not all ships are exactly the same, infact it's been stated in the EU that not all mon-cal cruisers look the same due to mon cal making each one completely different(so in the x-wing games you are seeing one varient). Infact going through the various sroucebooks one will notice that ships do not always look the same from picture to picture.

Even novels have flaws, such as the latest series Force Heretic, but that doesn't make the whole story any less continuity.

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Don't get your panties in a twist. Obviously you are a big fan of these games. I hope you can at least agree to disagree. All SW fans can have their own opinion, last I checked. I just expressed mine. In other words, get over it.

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Looks like you just want to disagree with LFL themselves word. You can agree to disagree with them, but thats your choice, doesn't make you more right then them, but you have your choice. I don't have to get over it, since I'm siding with LFL on this one, :). If you want to get rid of an entire story based on one flaw to keep from being hypocritical you really should do that to most EU books written(comics, sourcebooks, novels, etc), as most EU books have at least one flaw. So by your logic they should be tossed out as well, as not being "perfect fits". You can start by tossing out TTT for instance, based on it's dating snafus with the clone wars, :).

16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Please do not put words in my mouth. I never said that the novels, comic, etc do not have flaws and errors. My only point was that ALL have errors. We all make mistakes, even your friends at Lucasarts. That is how we grow. My advice. Grow. :)

17. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Actually, there are a few problems. First, many ships are portrayed incorrectly in the games. In X-wing vs. Tie fighter, dreadnaughts are portrayed all wrong. As are the Mon Cal cruisers. Oh, and the Neb B frigates.

Well, first for the dreadnaughts you have to prove that they are portrayed incorrectly and they just aren't some variant.

The Nebulon Bs aren't portrayed incorrectly. They have hangar bays because they're supposed too. The ones in the movies are modified variations. The hangar bays were removed and medical bays were put intheir place. I don't know how you can say a Mon Cal cruiser is portrayed incorrectly when all the early ones had different external features. *shrugs*

The list goes on and on. In X-Wing Alliance, Home One is called Independence.

No it isn't. In fact, Independance was at the battle of Endor. See the CCG. It was used as a communications ship.

Just look at Star Wars Rebellion.

That's such a bad example. It
    barely has a story. It's mostly a MP oriented game. The stuff in the enccylopedia can be used however. Except for things that are obviously gameplay mechanics. (number of weapons fighters where planets are located etc) The text for the most part
    is still a valid resource.

f of the planets are in the wrong places/sectors. They put Mon Cal in the Sulis Sector, which by the way are on opposite sides of the galaxy. They call the sector Coruscant is in Sesswenna. The Sesswenna sector is in the Outer Rim. These games are fun, but not exactly perfect fits for continuity.

Gameplay mechanics, gameplay mechanics, gameplay mechanics. Things were simplified for the game. If they didn't fo that, the strategy game would be almost unplayable.

The biggest screw up in any of the LA Star Wars games is the last few levels of X wing alliance. Those are obviously AU. Movies take precedent. However, it'sstill feasible to have Ace be a part of the Falcon's cockpit crew. That's about it. The rest of the XWA story is fine.

There 's no reason to throw things out when they don't conflict with the movies

We use the movies to know what to snip

18. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Ackbar also commandered Independence in the RS comic In the Empire's Service. Mid battle he orders the Rogues to pull back and return to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.