main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Balance of the Force- a new theory

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ryan123450, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I disagree. Just making it so that someone doesn't remember you approaching them with a secret mission -- how is that evil? Is it any worse than tampering with their minds so they let you go with your droids, or making them think they didn't see you as you wander the Death Star? It's not like a Kyp-style mindwipe. It's just, "Hey, we never talked about this." "We never talked about this. Wait, about what?" It's hardly detrimental to her.

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah...coming up with a good reason for erasing a person's memory of a military secret is not actually the same thing as coming up with a good reason to murder someone. It's the murdering and the irrational secrecy that's the problem with Jacen. I assume most Jedi don't like to do memory rubs if they can avoid it, but then again most Jedi don't like to take their lightsaber through a guy's chest. The memory wipe in and of itself isn't evil. If it is, then Bail Organa is a heinous villain.

3. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    Confusing someone in the moment is different from erasing parts of their memory. I personally would not be too comfortable with the thought that someone erased some of my memories. With a mind it's hard to tell what other effects it may have.

Carnage

4. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Just because you're uncomfortable with it doesn't mean it's wrong or evil. Misinformation and the manipulation of intelligence is common practice in warfare.

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    If you noticed, in most earlier debates, I was a huge supporter of the Yin-Yang theory. Frankly, I knew what Lucas was saying, but it seemed like a steaming load of bs. He was using the Eternal Struggle model of morality, not the Balance model.

But recently I took a philosphy class and found a new way of looking at balance.

This is the Greek version.

For every type of action, there is a mean and too extreame-having too much and too little. Both are bad, and the mean between the etreames is good. Too little courage is cowardice, and too much is foolhardiness, both negative traits. However, things with a nagetive connation in their meaning represent imbalance and do not need to be balanced. There is no need to balance good and evil, for good is balance, and evil is imbalance.

Thus the Sith represent imbalance in all of its forms-some are too chaotic, some too orderaly (opersion). Some too emotional, others without emotion. The Jedi seeks to balance these traits and thus become good. (ironically, they seem to have trouble balancing the needs of the individual with the needs of the community.)

6. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    ^ EUREKA!

lol Nice addition to the conversation, mate.

7. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    Agreed; that conception of balance seems to work excellently when considering the prophecy.

Great post, MercAce! =D=

8. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Hm...that too lol. I was thinking more along the lines of how well it demonstrates and explains what we know about the Force and its dark side, and how you end up falling.

9. Mark686

Mark686 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 30, 2001
    Thats probably the best way to explain it...but it might be worth noting that this stance is from a humans moral perspective. The universe and the Force may not view things as such.

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Go, go Aristotle [face_dancing]

Great addition.

11. Mark686

Aug 30, 2001
    Isnt this pretty similar to the Buddhist view?

12. AnAllianceGuerrilla

AnAllianceGuerrilla Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2007
    Yes, it resembles both Buddhism's 'middle way' and Confucianism's 'doctrine of the mean' (chung yung).

Of course, this merely rehashes (with the addition of historical philosophies) the idea i posted earlier:

13. Mark686

Aug 30, 2001
    But it sounds so much sexier in Greek.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.