main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Balance to the force-all it's hyped up to be?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Resolute, Mar 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Resolute

Resolute Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2002
    I was thinking the other day, and thought, "why do the jedi wan't 'Balance' in the force, why not a light side monopoly?"

I mean, if the light side cornered the market on jedi, there would be no way for the dark jedi to return, and everyone would be happy. However, in a balanced force state, there would always be the potential for the evil to return.

I know people say stuff like "one cannot exist without the other," and that they balance each other out, but think about it.

If you had a scale, would you rather have a George Bush on one side and a Bono (from U2, go to hell if you didn't already know that) on the other, or just a Bono?

I dunno, maybe I'm blabbering, I'm normally pretty good at this philosophical thing.

See last post.

2. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    One is defined by the other. Sure, you could have a room entirely filled with light from all angles, with no shadows and therefore no darkness. But then any observers would have no frame of reference.

If the Jedi somehow accomplished the impossible task of eliminating the Dark Side, there'd still be free will. Someone would inevitably fall to the Dark Side. But by that time, with Darkness "a thing of the past," no one might know how to deal with it.

I'd much rather face a little struggle each day, have a balance of joy and darkness, than live a carefree live for ten years and then suddenly have a monumental, impossible, utterly crushing problem.

3. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    I don't know, I sure would like to get Bono off that damn scale. Let Bush keep kickin' this country into high gear. :D

This post paid for the US Air Force

4. VaderOnGliterstim

VaderOnGliterstim Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2002
    Hey hey, now...

Who wants there to be LIGHT jedi?

POWER TO THE DARK SIDE!!

5. DarkTreader

DarkTreader Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    Pssssst. I think he meant for Bush to be on the Dark Side of that scale ^_^

6. VaderOnGliterstim

Mar 4, 2002
    ... you missinterpreted my meaning...

SITH RULE!!!

7. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    Psssst...don't tell that to a military man. ;)

I like Bush, so that's not a good analogy in my mind. :)

Bad politics, bad...stay out of my Lit forum!!

I see what you mean though, Res...I always thought the whole Balance concept was odd.

I have to ask, though...shouldn't this be in the prequels forum??

8. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    Personaly...i don't really care for your analogy...while i'm not really a big fan of u2...i'm not really against it......unlike my position on bush......personaly...if by, on the scale, you mean, in existence......i would love it if, of that pair, only bono continued to exist...unfortunately...we are stuck with the hamhanded ape for the time being...

9. VaderOnGliterstim

Mar 4, 2002
    wow. this seems to happen in almost every forum...
    are we talking about star wars or george bush and his bushy monkey ass?

...(sith still rule)

10. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    Damn...I don't go to the Senate Floor anymore because I wanted to avoid ulcer churning politics!!

11. GrandAdmPellaeon

GrandAdmPellaeon Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 18, 2002
    Two things....

Resolute, you cannot have the light without the dark.

And secondly, "hype"? Have you read Star by Star??? If you did...(spoiler coming)

Did you miss Anakin going Super Saiyan?!

12. Doikk-Na-ts

Doikk-Na-ts Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 20, 2002
    The definition of sanity would quickly change if the insane became the majority.

13. Resolute

Feb 11, 2002
    Ok, I didn't mean to get into a big political discussion, but whoever said they like George Bush, you crossed the line!

George Bush is a hairy-assed, trigger happy, oil-obsessed, bartender who shouldn't be serving a rodent much less the biggest military power in the world.

You americans just love him because he got you into a big war, you seem to enjoy seeing innocent people killed-and don't turn that back on me, I can prove that you were the aggressors in the 9/11 thing.

Bono on the other hand, is one of the greatest human beings alive. He takes his fame and does something with it. For the last five years he and U2 have been securing billions of dollars in debt relief for third world nations. Just you watch. In mid-march, when he, Bill Gates, and a couple other people launch DATA (an african aid organization), they'll get the respect they deserve. Bono truly is one of the best examples of what a human can be.

I find it disgusting that you americans (in particular, but I'm not saying all the other 1st world nations aren't responsible) willingly ignore nearly half the human population. Your ignorance appalls me.

You're all probably gonna hate me for posting this but I know that its the truth, and if you can just expand your small field of vision for just a minute, you might see it too.

14. Resolute

Feb 11, 2002
    I'm sorry I had to subject you to that. Admins, feel free to strick that last post from the record-not that I regret it-I just can see how it might be disturbing to some people on these boards, seeing as how it challenges your very way of life.

I'm sorry, but you should be too.

15. jaeger

jaeger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2001
    Anakin didn't really bring Balance to the force by getting rid of the Sith, he put it out of balance. Its just a bad choice of language on GL's part. He did bring peace to the force, but not balance.

16. Doikk-Na-ts

Doikk-Na-ts Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 20, 2002
    Isn't balance automatic when there's only one weight?

17. RiggsWolfe

RiggsWolfe Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 3, 2002
    Resolute,

I'd love for you to PROVE that an attack by terrorists on innocent civilians somehow makes the U.S. the agressor.

For your information, Americans don't love to see innocent people being killed, hell, alot of our civilians protest wars, even totally Just and Moral wars like this current one. I don't know where you're being fed your propoganda, but you're making yourself look like an idiot

Get off your high horse. The U.S has done ALOT for many countries, and is typically totally unappreciated for it. Dig back in some of the records, find out how much money the US poured into Europe to rebuild it after WW2 and how little of that money we ever got back. Start there and work your way to the future.

As for Bush, I don't like him, never will. I believe he stole the election here in America, but that does NOT give you the right to essentially say that the loss of innocent human beings on 9/11 was in any way justified. Though that's what your aggressor comment implies. Listen to yourself, talking about how Bono rules because he helps people, yet you seem to not care about innocents being killed. Bono would be ashamed of you.

And last, but not least, know the FACTS before you go spouting off a bunch of B.S. based on your own prejudice

18. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Ahhh. I read resolutte's post and asked myself,"How old is this kid?"

It figures. He's only 14 according to his profile. Give him a few years. :p

I have no idea who this Bono guy is, but whenever you get a bunch of rich people together and the word charity there's always something fishy going on.

19. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    Bono is the lead singer in U2.

<snicker>

The greatest human alive. Right.

Kids.

20. Disco_Dark_Jeedai

Disco_Dark_Jeedai Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    Either Qui Gon was stupid or he was tainted by the Dark Side. Here's why:

We have an unbalance with the Light side monopoly during TPM, then Qui Gon finds a boy that he feels will fulfill the prophecy of bringing balance to the Force. Now, the only way to balance that monopoly is by getting rid of those using the Light side and thus dwindling them down to a balance point. Now, if Qui Gon was sane, why in the hell would you ever want that prophecy to come about??? If I knew the only ways that would come about would either be the deaths of thousands of Jedi or the rise of thousands of Dark Jedi, I would have left Anakin! So by taking Anakin, maybe he is fulfilling a darker purpose....

Hmmmmm, sounds fishy to me.

21. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    U2 is a band! Bono is a member of U2! Ohhhh now it's all coming together.

I have only one thing to say. [face_laugh] A-HAW HAW HAW! [face_laugh]

22. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    My friend likes George Bush because he's an aero engineer and Bush gives him more of a shot at a job than a democrat would! ;) Still, I wouldn't like to design potential weapons, but I guess that's why he's the aero and I'm the biomedical engineer. :D

Jae Angel

23. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    I have only one thing to say. A-HAW HAW HAW!

My sentiments exactly. :D

24. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    This balance stuff strike me as having been a big mistake on GL's part, especially to have a Jedi Master championing it. In order to have balance, a 1 to 1 ratio is required, and this is something that the Jedi should certainly be able to comprehend? Now how is 10,000 to 2 a 1:1 ratio?

Anakin brought balance to the Force by killing those Jedi so that the ratio became 1:1, not 5,000:1. It was just Ben/Yoda and Vader/Palpatine.

25. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    Are we even 100% sure what Lucas means by balance? I always thought he meant that the dark side had to be defeated for balance to be achieved?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.