main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Balance to the Force

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Keeper_of_Swords, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LijoT

LijoT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Star Wars is not a real life documentary about a particular religion or belief. The concept of the force itself is a mixture of good and evil from almost all the world's religions as GL has explained.

This is a mythological sci-fi fantasy - fictional world, with its own ideas and concepts. That good and evil are part of nature, that they are the essential sides of the force, is the very basis of the concept known as "the force" in this fiction. In Star Wars, good and evil is as natural as light and dark, life and death etc. That doesn't mean Star Wars is trying to claim that is the fundamental truth in the real world.

Light side = good, Dark side = evil certainly works, becuase that is what "The force" in Star Wars is about. It's about what GL thinks and what he believes and wants, and applies in his world, not what we think.

The debate of cultures and so on would make no sense, in this particular fiction, because it's not reality - it's a space opera based mixed with mythology - a sci-fi fantasy.

Also I should mention that while I enjoy this fictional world and its ideas, like many others (Potter, Tolkien etc), my own beliefs are completely different, and there's no such thing as the force. But my personal beliefs is one thing, and the ideas in a fiction is something else entirely :)

2. Endaeon

Endaeon Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2004
    But don't your own belief influence your takes on things?
    Good and Evil doesn't work for me that's why i search for an alternate way of explaining things, one that uses other words, hence natural/unnatural, taint, etc.

I usually ran away everytime someone mentions good and Evil, it not my terrain, I know I cannot win, I cannot even debate correctly with those terms on the table.
    This time is not an exeption.

I admit my defeat. I get lost trying to figure real logic into Space Opera.
    However I'll come back someday because i just never learn :p

But taints still take place righ? ok, ok I give up.

It was fun while it lasted, anyones wants to discuss The "will" of the Force and its part in Balance?

Off Topic edit. i'm one of those guys who debates physics laws on videogames about zombies. useless fact just so you understand my stubborness.

3. Dash_Renndar

Dash_Renndar Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 21, 2004
    SuperShadow 2 ladies and gentlemen!

4. LijoT

Jan 25, 2005
    Nice to meet you Mr. Supershadow 2. Convey my regards to your "close friend".

Endaeon - I don't usually think about my beliefs when enjoying Star Wars/other works :) If I do, I know that it's going to interfere with the enjoyment if a theme is going against my personal beliefs/religion etc. That way it could be enjoyed without any problems, though there are still certain things that I don't find enjoyable - like the Ewoks for instance ;)

5. Paladin307

Paladin307 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    We assume there is a lightside. I don't think they ever mention that once in the movies. We know there is the force and there is the corruption of the force that is known as the darkside, so the lightside is implied as the natural state of the force and the darkside as the unnatural corruption of the force. As the darkside was spawned and created by the negative emotions of the universe(fear, anger, hate), it began to take corrupt more and more of the force.

Somewhere along the line, probably during the first schism which lasted 100 years of war between the Jedi and the darkside, the balance was destroyed. I think it was probably due to the overwhelming numbers of darksiders who not only corrupted the force, but when they died, a part of themselves was imprinted on it.

The situation became worse and worse until the PT where the Darkside completely overshadows the Force and you have someone like Sidious drawing on all that power.

Anakin comes along and he is supposed to bring balance to the force. Now GL said he completed that by destroying the sith, but he didn't say that was the only way. For all we know, Anakin dying a Jedi Master at a very old age and becoming one with the force may of balanced it. However, that is irrelevant, Anakin balanced the force by destroying the Sith, which bitchslapped the darkside back into its inferior role.

In the post-Palpatine era, we may not see many darksiders at all. And few of them will hold any significant power now that there is balance. This is probably why the ancient Sith ressurected Palpatine. They were afraid of what would happen to them maybe with the balance being restored.

6. Endaeon

Endaeon Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2004
    Someone who undestand what I said, i'm happy :D

I sid the Darkside is unnatural because the Darkside is Evil, and Evil is unnatural, GL used white dark analogies, but he never said that it always have been that way.

I't my belief that the Force was neutral (read good) until the very first Sith (Xande Xendor or whatever) he didn't find a new source of power (Dark Side), he used the same Force (natural/absolute) to do his Dark ways, and this spawned an external dark side (Taint).

Similar to the story of God/The Devil, if you look at it from a non religious way, and just read the story you'll know that God (absolute) antecedes the Devil (Fallen Angel Lucifer).

In this way I still mantain my belief that originaly the Force didn't have sides, but now do.

This is essential to define balance, no Sith doesn't means the extermination of the Dark Side per se, it means it becomes inactive, and gets weaker as the natural side finds his way back into balance.

I used God/Devil because everyone's familiar with them, independently as they believe in them or not.
    The same patter repites in various belief (plural).

Evil comes with sentience, its not natural. Unless the "Will of the Force" is sentient, then the Dark Side was spawned by the people, in this case we can explain why it came into unbalance in first place, the Dark side grew stronger with the milennia while the Jedi rejected change and became weaker.

Akakin was meant to change things, even if he would have stayed light the Jedi would have changed, in my view of thing he took the second path, made his choices but finally fullfilled his destiny, the Jedi changed (through his son).
    Killing them all was not necessary, but we wouldn't have Star Wars that way.

7. LijoT

Jan 25, 2005
    The lightside is mentioned indirectly in the movies.

Yoda explains that the negative emotions are the path to the dark side of the force, and to be ware of the dark side of the force. Automatically, that means that they are not using the dark side of hte force - it would be another side. Which side would it be? The light of course.

That's in addition to GL saying many times that the light side and the dark side is the core of the force.

I sid the Darkside is unnatural because the Darkside is Evil, and Evil is unnatural, GL used white dark analogies, but he never said that it always have been that way.

Oh but he did :) He said that the dark and the light side of the force both need to be there, and that "right from the very beginning that was the key issue in Star Wars".

8. Lightsnake

Lightsnake Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Balance is the extermination of the Sith and their Order...now, as for the Emperor's ressurection, think of it this way...he wasn't a Sith anymore...he was insane, destroyed and little better than a raving lunatic without remembrance of the Sith arts, ways and subtleties and was just another Dark Jedi

9. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    When Palpatine returned he had lost his grip on the galaxy, his grip on the Force and his grip on reality. He was a shadow of his former self. In addition, as the Force was now balanced, the Jedi were able to tap into the Force and use it to a greater ability since before AOTC.
    Thus it fell to Luke and Leia, offspring of the Chosen One, to maintain the equilibrium by making sure Palpatine never returned again.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Whoever the leader of the Jedi forces at Ruusan was, I believe, was a Chosen One.

Lord Hoth? Doubtful, he was fairly famous and if he was conceived by the Force, it would have been noted.

Revan may be a Chosen One or may not. On one hand, he is described as the Heart of the Force and he does indeed rebalance things--on the other, he is known to have parents.

I am of the opinion that Anakin Skywalker is the only Chosen One there ever was or ever will be, but lesser incarnations that the Force has had a heavy influence in (but aren't Chosen and have parents) so that certain things would happen.

As for Balance, I think it was that Palpatine had an inordinate influence on the galaxy and that his death ended that. I don't think it has anything to do with numbers or that the Force cares about numbers at all--but more to do with Palpatine's ability to darken all walks of life, so to speak.

After he returned, though he was far more powerful and skilled than he was before, his inordinate influence vanished. He could be subdued by the Light Side (as we see at the end of the first DE) and he could be fallible.

Indeed, part of him was missing--the part that forever stains the Force over Endor.

11. Dash_Renndar

Nov 21, 2004
    LijoT!!! SuperShadow's clone!!!

12. LijoT

Jan 25, 2005
    Supershadow's clone eh?

Please explain to everyone how in your infinite wisdom you found out that truth. Are you sure I'm not GL's former wife's boyfriend's mother's aunt's cousins's sister's 2nd cousin twice removed?

13. Dash_Renndar

Nov 21, 2004
    LijoT posted on 3/22/05 6:29pm
    Supershadow's clone eh?

Please explain to everyone how in your infinite wisdom you found out that truth. Are you sure I'm not GL's former wife's boyfriend's mother's aunt's cousins's sister's 2nd cousin twice removed?
    [hr][/blockquote]

You're GL's former boyfriend?? I stand corrected!!

14. LijoT

Jan 25, 2005
    Dash Rendar, I normally don't mind people joking/messing around, but if you do nothing but troll and flame around, I suggest you cool it before the mods take care of it.

15. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    The last four posts are as coherent as the average episode of The OC.

16. LijoT

Jan 25, 2005
    It's the sign of the dark times when some random troll comes out and calls you a "Supershadow clone".

17. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
    If the Force was a concious entity, WHY would it choose Balance over Light or Dark?

99% percent of the time, we will aways either choose A or B. Most people never choose in between.

"Dor or do not, there is no try"

Then again, the Force is described as an 'energy field'. So can an energy field have consciousness? Logically no, then if there is no conscious thought, how can the Force choose balance?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.