main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Balance to the force?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by simius1910, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simius1910

simius1910 Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2006
    I don't get why the prophecy says the chosen one will bring balance to the force when it's already balanced!!! Go to th OT for a second, Vader destroys sidious which forfills the prophecy of him being the chosen one, correct?? So then how is it balanced, surely it's balanced when there's good/evil jedi/sith so if the evil is gone where's the balance??????

Strilo edit: Please use the Chosen One/Prophecy discussion thread.

2. nyjet10

nyjet10 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 1, 2005
    I totally agree with you. The word balance made no sense... until i realized Lucas is on crack.

3. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    ok gents - pontificate on what you deem to be "already balanced" - just where do you see this?

sorry - i just realized this reads as "snotty" - didn't mean it.

it is sad thing that bringing balance had to take such a circuitous and tragic pathway. the force works in mysterious ways - so mysterious the jedi didn't see all this coming.

4. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    The Force becomes balanced when Sidious, the last of the true Sith is destroyed [Vader is redeemed when he saves Luke]. It is not balanced when there are Dark Jedi and Sith around because they use it for corruption and evil.

5. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    I understand what balance in this case means perfectly fine, but the word chosen for the action Anakin would take?

balance:

1.) equality in mass, amount, force, effect, etc

In this case, two groups of beings are fighting for power. One might be evil, but demolishing the group from the Galaxy gives full power to the Jedi...how can it be balancing? It is simply bringing peace. It is abolishing the havoc within the Force, and replacing it with harmony.

6. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    Balance in this case doesn't mean equal balance of two parts.
    This is a harmonic balance of nature. The Sith are like a cancer in the Force, throwing it out of balance, similar to when a person has cancer. Their body chemistry is out of balance, out of whack. Destroying the Sith completely (which is what Anakin does in ROTJ) rids the galaxy, and the Force of its cancer and restores balance to the Force.:)

7. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    It's not a balance of numbers, the existence of the Sith throws it out of balance. And thus Sidious and Vader's deaths bring it into balance.

"Which brings us to films 4, 5 and 6, where Anakin's offspring redeem him and allow him to fulfill the prophecy where he brings balance to the Force by doing away with the Sith and getting rid of evil in the universe."
    --George Lucas

8. Darth_BamBam

Darth_BamBam Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2005
    The balance of the Force is not a balance between good and evil. The Force is balanced when those who weild it are operating within it's "will" (although I have objections to that term I will use it to make this point).

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi is correct. When people bend the force to thier will, the Force is out of balance.

Just like you would typically describe a balanced person as a person who is, for the most part, good, not as a person who does good and bad deeds equally.

9. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    "As evil begins to take over, it pushes the Force out of balance." GL AOTC Commentary

This is how it works in the GFFA, regardless of the definition you find on dictionary.com.

The force is in balance when there are no Sith unnaturally manipulating it. The force is in balance when the only ones communicating with it are the Jedi. They live in harmony and serve it.

"The thing of it is: The prophecy was right. Anakin was the chosen one, and he does bring balance to the Force. He takes the one ounce of good still left in him and destroys the Emperor out of compassion for his son."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith, page 221

Now, if you want to strip away all poetic license and hold Lucas to your narrow definition of balance, then that's fine. But this is how it's defined in the GFFA.

Sith=Force out of Balance
    No Sith=Force Balanced

That's it. You either buy it or you don't. But since GL created this particular artistic universe, I'm going to buy it.

10. Darth_BamBam

Darth_BamBam Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2005
    There are many definitions for the word balance. Here are a couple more:

# A stable mental or psychological state; emotional stability.
    # A harmonious or satisfying arrangement or proportion of parts or elements, as in a design.

I would say that these definitions are more applicable to GL's vision, as the one you provided would contradict the fulfillment of the prophecy.

11. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    I find it ridiculous that some fans of this series have no clue what "Bringing balance to the Force" actually means when all you have to do is simply watch the movies. Pay attention, people.

12. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    "As evil begins to take over, it pushes the Force out of balance." GL AOTC Commentary

Yep, no Sith equals GLs balance.

But my view is that because every force user causes a disturbance in the force, total complete balance would be no force users. So basically at the end of ROTJ we are left with Luke, who if he doesnt use the force anymore, would achieve the absolute balance.

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Pay attention. The balance to the Force as it is in Star Wars. It's not two Jedi and two Sith. It's not using the Force at all.

"I wanted to have this mythological footing because I was basing the films on the idea that the Force has two sides, the good side, the evil side, and they both need to be there. Most religions are built on that, whether it's called yin and yang, God and the devil?everything is built on the push-pull tension created by two sides of the equation. Right from the very beginning, that was the key issue in Star Wars."

--George Lucas, ?The Mythology of Star Wars,? Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth DVD, 2001

"If good and evil are mixed things become blurred - there is nothing between good and evil, everything is gray. In each of us we to have balance these emotions, and in the Star Wars saga the most important point is balance, balance between everything. It is dangerous to lose this. In The Phantom Menace one of the Jedi Council already knows the balance of The Force is starting to slip, and will slip further. It is obvious to this person that the Sith are going to destroy this balance. On the other hand a prediction which is referred to states someone will replace the balance in the future. At the right time a balance may again be created, but presently it is being eroded by dark forces."

--George Lucas, Time Magazine article, 2002

"One of thematic issues here is how Palpatine becomes Chancellor. Telling how he moved to the next level, and then when you see all of the films together it will all make a lot more sense. But this is kind of a very small thematic issue that transcends all six movies as opposed to something that's actually neatly tied up in this particular movie alone. Step one is that Palpatine becomes Chancellor, and you'll see in Episode II that he then makes another step (Emergency Powers), and in Episode III he makes another step (Emperor)."

--George Lucas, AOTC DVD commentary.

"It's not that they can't see the Dark Side coming, it's just that the Dark Side begins to envelop everything. It's like walking into a fog. The Jedi's ability to see lessens as the Dark Side grows."

--George Lucas, AOTC DVD Commentary.

"As evil begins to take over, it pushes the Force out of balance."

--George Lucas, AOTC DVD Commentary.

"There is a hint in the movie that there was a Sith Lord who had the power to create life. But it's left unsaid: Is Anakin a product of a super-Sith who influenced the Midichlorians to create him, or is he simply created by the Midichlorians to bring forth a prophecy, or was he created by the Force through the Midichlorians? It's left up to the audience to decide. How he was born ultimately has no relationship to how he dies, because in the end, the prophecy is true: Balance comes back to the Force."

--George Lucas, Rolling Stone Magazine, 2005.

"I think it is obvious that [Qui-Gon] was wrong in Episode I and made a dangerous decision, but ultimately this decision may be correct. The ?phantom menace? refers to the force of the dark side of the universe. Anakin will be taken over by dark forces which in turn destroy the balance of the Galaxy, but the individual who kills the Emperor is Darth Vader?also Anakin. The tale meanders and both the prediction and Qui-Gon are correct?Anakin is the chosen one, and he did bring peace at last with his own sacrifice. Luke couldn't kill the Emperor himself, but he could make Anakin reflect on his life and kill the Emperor."

--George Lucas, Cut Magazine interview, 1999

"The thing of it is: The prophecy was right. Anakin was the chosen one, and he does bring balance to the Force. He takes the one ounce of good still left in him and destroys the Emperor out of compassion for his son."

--George Lucas, The Making Of Revenge Of The Sith; page 221

Evil begins to dominate over good. Before it was on equal footing. But the Sith infuse too much ev

14. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    This is a SAGA FORUM question. And it has been asked many times before.

My earlier position on this whole issue was to try and argue that the PT Jedi were causing part of the imbalance. I no longer believe that. But they certainly - through their own limitations - allowed the Sith to do their work and for the Force to become unbalanced. The point is rather academic. But I wanted to draw attention to it.

dath-sinister, you mised an important quotation there. It's one I have in my profile:

"The film is ultimately about the dark side and the light side, and those sides are designed around compassion and greed. These are the two sides-the good force and the bad force. They're the simplest parts of a complex cosmic construction."

-- George Lucas commenting on The Phantom Menace

Everyone must cut their own paths in life without willfully interfering - with intent to cause pain/suffering - in the paths of others. We're all flawed and we're all in it together; our paths cross and influence one another's all the time. But tyrants always set out to oppress people and make the lives of others a misery. We're constantly wrestling with our light and dark sides; our beautiful impulses that give rise to good things and our ugly impulses that give rise to bad things. But that's OK. We're only human. The difference comes when a select few cross the line and start aggressively shaping the affairs of others. That's what was going wrong, slowly and subtly at first ("The Phantom Menace"), and very blatantly later on, in the Star Wars galaxy. Luke and Anakin finally put that right. At that point, in fact, Anakin finally turned his dream of freeing the slaves - mentioned way back in Episode I - into reality. Now... that's one heck of a tale!

15. Anakin1

Anakin1 Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2006
    i think that anakin was the chosen one as the prohecy says but anakin falls to the dark side because of his hunger for power to be the greatest jedi ever and to save padnme.So the prohecy changes and the one who was supposed to bring hope and light to the galaxy tuns out to be the one who will bring fear and chaos to the galaxy and its people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.