main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Balance to the force

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jabba_The_Hutt_123, Sep 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    I've seen some arguments regarding bringing balance to the force, mainly from it being balanced with 2 Jedi and 2 Sith, to Palpatine's death and the redemption of Anakin fulfilling it.
    But does it not make more sense for balance to have been restored by wiping out both the Jedi and the Sith and starting over, with Luke Skywalker. As we saw from episode V Yoda had clearly taken on board some of Qui Gon's thinking, passing it on to Luke. The Jedi of the prequels were arrogant, and arguably went against their own beliefs, becoming generals in the Clone Wars. Mace himself said we're keepers of the peace, not soldiers. The Clone Wars has shown that younger Jedi became far more combat orientated, "in this war strength prevails, the rules have changed".
    It seems strange that Anakin would bring balance to the force but in doing so virtually wipe out the Jedi Order unless the force had virtually decided it was time to wipe out both Orders and start afresh.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Balance here means "harmony", not "equal numbers". The Force, via its will, "wants" to be returned to that harmonic balance that could be achieved if nobody were throwing it out of balance by using the Force in self-serving, harmful, destructive, and negative ways (ie, the Sith using the dark side). So it naturally favors the Jedi, not because they are Jedi per se, but because of how they view and use the Force as opposed to how the Sith view and use it. No elimination/reduction of excessive numbers of Jedi was ever part of the will of the Force, because that would be besides the point.

So Anakin/Vader redeems himself and proves the prophecy of the Chosen One true, bringing balance to the Force by eliminating the Sith (killing Palpatine and himself dying in the process).

3. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    The Jedi became generals because the war needed to be ended as quickly as possible. So they took the helm in the hoes of a speedy resolution. As for "balance, no it's not an equal number of Jedi/Sith. It's the holding of both Dark and Light equally. Picture a Yin Yang and that's what Force is. Taoism and tha beliefs of the Jedi and the Force are almost exact. The yin yang shows the balance between the two.

4. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    If that were the case, then the Force would have been balanced at the beginning of ANH.

And after ROTJ, the Force would be unbalanced. Not quite a happy ending, there.

5. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    My point is that it seems to be bringing balance to the force should not be, wipe out the Sith so the Jedi Order remains, but wipe out both sides to start afresh due to the Sith being "evil" and the Old Jedi Order being corrupted, arrogant and far too over confident.

The will of the force to me wanted a restart, it makes no sense for the Jedi Order to be virtually wiped out unless the force wanted that, considering the will of the force seems so powerful. Maybe Anakin was almost the Jedi version of the Sith'ari.

6. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    The "problem" the Force had with the Sith wasn't that they were "evil"... as I said above, it's because of what their use of the dark side does to the balance/harmony that the will of the Force desires. By that same logic, the Force wouldn't care that the Jedi were arrogant and overconfident.

7. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    I guess the Force wanted everyone on Alderaan dead, too?

Nice to see that despite not caring about the Will of the Force, Palpatine ends up fulfilling it nonetheless... [face_thinking]

8. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    The Force's "job" overall is to keep the universe from falling apart. I agree with eht that it doesn't care about the overconfidence and what not. In KOTOR 2 Kreia touches on the Force's "preferences." If I remember correctly she said something like " The Force does at it will, I suspect it cares litle for our philosophies." Or something like that. She even mentions that before the Jedi/Sith there was only the Force and it still did it's job without the two factions.

9. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Obi-Wan also says something very interesting to Padmé in ROTS novelization.

It's so well said I've been thinking if I should put some of it in my signature. You could also say that the Force is just midichlorians in people's cells. You could also say that love is just hormons telling us we should reproduce.
    More we know, more we don't know.

10. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    That's an awesome quote. =D= Unlike the film, I actually enjoyed the novelization. Maybe I should read it again.

11. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    ^ Agreed, that is a great quote. I love the movie, but I liked the ROTS novel too. My biggest problems with it were that it spent way too much time on The Invisible Hand, and not enough time on Order 66.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.