main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Balance (TPM vignette, Yoda & Qui-Gon)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by lazykbys, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazykbys

lazykbys Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2004
    Title: Balance
    Author: lazykbys
    Timeframe: TPM, shortly before Padmé leaves Coruscant
    Characters: Yoda, Qui-Gon
    Genre: speculative vignette
    Summary: Yoda explains why he is against training Anakin

EDIT:
    . . . because I found out that "Nubian" means "from Nubus" and not Naboo. Sheesh.

[b]Balance[/b]

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were on their way to the Nubian landing pad when they heard Yoda's voice from behind them.

"Master Qui-Gon! A word with you, please."

"Of course, Master Yoda," Qui-Gon replied. "Go on, Obi-Wan. I'll catch up with you shortly."

Yoda waited until the padawan was out of sight before asking, "You are taking the boy with you?" It was more an accusation than a question.

"Yes, I am," Qui-Gon said. "Since you will not train him, I see no reason for him to stay."

"You wish to train him."

"I do. But the Council has forbidden it, so I won't."

Yoda's ears twitched with feigned amusement. "You will not, you say? Then why take him to Naboo?"

"I promised his mother I would look after him."

Yoda snorted. "Ha! Safer he will be here, on Coruscant. Your reasons are otherwise."

Qui-Gon spread his hands in acquiescence. He should have known better than to try to fool Yoda.

"Anakin is the chosen one," he said. "He [i]must[/i] be taught the ways of the Jedi."

"Must, you say?"

"Yes, he must. He is too strong in the Force to be raised otherwise."

"Trained many Jedi I have," Yoda said. "Many I have seen refused. The boy is no different from them. If untrained, fall to the dark side he will not."

"But he is the one stated in the prophecy. The one who will bring balance to the Force!"

"The one? Balance?" Yoda said. "Teach me the ways of the Force, will you?"

"I mean no disrespect, Master Yoda. But he is the chosen one, no matter what the Council believes. I know it. I [i]feel[/i] it."

"And right you may be, Master Qui-Gon."

For a moment he couldn't believe his ears. Was Yoda, the most vocal opposition to training Anakin, actually agreeing that the boy was the chosen one? "Excuse me?"

"There is a vergence in the Force. Felt it, too, I have."

Qui-Gon frowned, puzzled. "Then why won't you let me train him? No - why won't [i]you[/i] train him?"

"For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi," Yoda said. "Watched them grow. Watched them die. Grown used to change, I have. But the Force has never changed."

Qui-Gon nodded patiently, wondering where this conversation was taking them. As far as he knew, both he and Yoda agreed that Anakin was the one who would bring balance to the Force. And unless Yoda was actually a Sith Lord in disguise, both of them wanted to prevent the dark side from prevailing.

"Too old I am for changes," Yoda said softly. It seemed a complete contradiction of his previous statements until Qui-Gon had a flash of insight.

"Are you afraid you will fail, Master Yoda? Is that it?"

While it was true that Yoda had taught Jedi for a long time, the Jedi Order had been in existence for even longer. Only rarely had he had to deal with potential Jedi who were more than five years old when they began training. Anakin was nearly twice that age and hardened by a life of slavery. Were he not sure the boy was the chosen one, Qui-Gon himself would probably have had second thoughts about taking him as his padawan learner.

Qui-Gon said, "I realize the consequences are great, but -"

"No." Yoda said flatly. "Understand, you do not."

"Master Yoda?"

"Fear. Anger. Hate. These lead to the dark side. Yet they come naturally to us all. Even Jedi."

"That's why we have the Jedi Code, Master Yoda. So that we aren't ruled by our emotions."

"But [i]why[/i], Master Qui-Gon? Why should we not let our passions guide us?"

Qui-Gon felt he was being quizzed. It was like being a padawan again. "Because those passions can lead to the dark side."

"But at what cost? We know no family but the Order. We are forbidden to make strong attachments. [i]This is not the way of other beings.[/i]"

"Ye

2. son-of-kenobi

son-of-kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 16, 2004
    great stuff? will there be a sequal? with obi-wan? assuming that u follow cannon, and qui dies?

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Fascinating conversation between Yoda and Qui-Gon. I had always wondered at Anakin going to Naboo with them... makes no sense whatsoever..lol.

"Too old I am for changes," Yoda said softly. It seemed a complete contradiction of his previous statements until Qui-Gon had a flash of insight. And change is somwthing that would be needed for Anakin to be trained properly.

This was a delightful viggie!

4. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005

[b]son-of-kenobi:[/b]
    great stuff? will there be a sequal? with obi-wan? assuming that u follow cannon, and qui dies?[hr][/blockquote]I don't have plans for a sequel right now, although that might change after I see RotS - which could be a while because a) Ep3's release date here in Japan is July, and b) I'm determined not to see it with Japanese subtitles (that's right, I'm waiting for the DVD).

On the other hand, my willpower is so low it has a negative rating :D

Thank you for reading!

[blockquote][hr][b]Healer_Leona:[/b]
    Fascinating conversation between Yoda and Qui-Gon. I had always wondered at Anakin going to Naboo with them... makes no sense whatsoever..lol.

[i]"Too old I am for changes," Yoda said softly. It seemed a complete contradiction of his previous statements until Qui-Gon had a flash of insight.[/i] And change is somwthing that would be needed for Anakin to be trained properly.[hr][/blockquote]I had a lot of fun writing this. Aside from kooky idea that the Jedi keep the Force unbalanced, I got the chance to write Yoda as just an old guy who's been running as fast as he can to stay in one place (hey, it's the Red Queen!) and now he's all tired out.

Thank you for reading!

5. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    At first there would have only been a handful of Jedi who, to be precise, were not really Jedi but a group of scientists and scholars. Slowly, bit by bit, they had exerted their will on the vastness of the Force, patiently shaping it over the millennia to make it the guiding presence it was today. In doing so, they had disturbed the pre-existing balance to form a new one.

Wow! Very fascinating conversation between Yoda and Qui-Gon in this vignette. Yoda seemed so tired, almost resigned, as if he knows a storm is coming, and he is powerless to stop it.

6. agentj

agentj Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 3, 2004
    lazykbys wrote:
    In doing so, they had disturbed the pre-existing balance to form a new one.

I felt the same way about this "balance" situation. It just has to be the Jedi causing the imbalance in the first place, since they are fighting so hard to keep it in balance. Wonderful insight. There's always the novelisation if you get antsy about not being able to see the movie! [face_devil]

7. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Great insight into the imbalance in the force, and fascinating conversation. Well written, too. :D

8. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005

[b]Gina:[/b]
    Yoda seemed so tired, almost resigned, as if he knows a storm is coming, and he is powerless to stop it.[hr][/blockquote]Thank you! That's exactly the Yoda I was trying to write.

[blockquote][hr][b]agentj:[/b]
    I felt the same way about this "balance" situation. It just has to be the Jedi causing the imbalance in the first place, since they are fighting so hard to keep it in balance. Wonderful insight. There's always the novelisation if you get antsy about not being able to see the movie! ]:)[hr][/blockquote]My other hypothesis is that the Jedi are simply exploiting a niche they found. If your house is collapsing and there's nowhere else to go, it doesn't really matter if you built it or not, does it?

As for the novelization . . . stop tempting me :D

[blockquote][hr][b]ShrunkenJedi:[/b]
    Great insight into the imbalance in the force, and fascinating conversation.[hr][/blockquote]This fic started out with Yoda telling Qui-Gon everything. It was lots and lots of dull exposition, which got on my nerves after a few paragraphs (there is only so much Yodaspeak you can write before it drives you mad). The conversation is a gimmick to make it less boring. I'm glad you liked it, though :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.