Before " BALANCE WITHIN THE FORCE "*01/08* OWEN STRUTS HIS STUFF & IS GOOD AT IT

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ewen, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. ewen Jedi Master

star 4

TITLE: BALANCE WITHIN THE FORCE-PART 2?
    Time Period: PRE- JA
    Character: Obi, QGJ, Yoda, others later.
    Story synopsis Master Yoda thinks he has lost a chance to retrieve the most gifted, yet untrained force sensitives in the galaxy he has ever met since his former pupil QGJ. The boy, Ben thinks he has missed his chance to leave the confines of his little farm. Are they wrong or will the force intercede and help Obi-Wan, A.K.A. "Ben"
    #################

?Ben? Ben where are you??

Ben?s mother had called for him for nearly ten minutes and had not gotten an answer..

?Obi-Wan Kenobi, if you do not answer me and right now, I will go wake up your father. I bet then you will answer *HIM*. Do you hear me young man??

It was an idle threat. Laura Kenobi knew she wouldn?t wake up her husband, Lars Kenobi. She knew just how much trouble her youngest and less favored son would be in if she did.

If her little Ben heard her threat of unleashing his father on him, he would immediately drop what he was doing and come. He knew from past experience that a three name calling without the use of his nickname Ben meant trouble.

Ben heard the last threat, suddenly got up and headed toward his small three room home.
    He had been sitting up high in the hayloft of the Kenobi farm chewing on a piece of hay. He had been there well over an hour day dreaming, as he watched the many space ships streak across the night sky. His daydream was always about the same things, things he thought he would never be a part of. He knew there were other planets in the galaxy, had heard of space travel, and even once saw a small ship land not far from the Kenobi farm due to engine trouble.

That is what really started his trouble. It wasn?t trouble at first it was hope, that turned to trouble.

In the little ship was an equally little green being. That being was Jedi Master Yoda. He stayed with the Kenobi?s for nearly a week. Ben had even helped him repair his small disabled ships after his chores on the farm were completed. Every evening far later than he really should have been up, Ben helped Master Yoda and in return Master Yoda told him the stories of the Jedi.

It was the first time Obi-Wan could remember ever regretting a guest leaving their small cramped home he shared with his mother, father, and older brother Owen.

However, the conversation he heard between his father and Master Yoda out on Kenobi front porch the evening before the Jedi master left kept repeating itself in Ben?s mind.

?Gifted the boy is, tell you I do. Though too old some Jedi might consider, have just the master for him I think I do. Willing would you be to entrust your son with the Jedi??

?No I wouldn?t I need the boy here. He has to help on the farm. I don?t need no stranger putting things in his mind about the world out there. He is never going to live out there, never going to ride of them new fangled space ships. His life is here?. Unless.. Unless the Jedi would be willing to buy the boy from me. The right amount of credits could change my mind pretty quick??

"Buy children we can not? Ashamed of you to suggest it?.School he is not allowed to attend, learn how can he? Older son Owen schools he does. Why so different they are treated?

?I have to keep Ben, I mean Obi-Wan under control. He has always had big dreams of the future. A future that is not meant to be his. Sure I?ll grant you I too have seen special things in him. Not so much now.?

?Now? different is he how??

?I have..how should I put it? *coaxed* the strangeness out of Ben. He don?t offer up unusual powers and sights from the future as he calls them.. No now Master Yoda I have him trained just as he should be. If he has any thoughts of being anything but a farmer here with me h they are just that thoughts. If you ain?t willing to pay for such a gifted boy as you say he is, then he is going to stay right here with me and his mother. Owen has college to complete later. I can?t afford to let both of them go.?

?Control? ?con
  2. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Great beginning! Poor Ben... 'strong arm and a leather strap' eeek... how so 'old fashion' is that? hehehe but then again... I remember those days myself. hehehe Now what's bad is having to go and pick your own switch to get the whipping... whatever you do DO NOT get a small thin one... man they hurt worse... hehehehe

Can't wait for more! :D
  3. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    sitting in the hayloft thinking that he would rather be on a ship far far away... hmmm- sounds like some whiney little blond kid in Mos Eisley ;)
  4. jeday Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey, hey to sell his child. :eek: What kind of father is that? Perhaps he is only the stepfather? And Obi's mother seems to be a very compassionate one indeed. :mad:
    I bet Owen is a nice one too! Poor Obi! :_|
    Can't wait to see Qui-Gon mix up this lovley group. :D
    Great start!
  5. ewen Jedi Master

star 4
    ####Three weeks later####

Jinn sat atop Mace?s desk. They had been discussing an upcoming mission, one Qui-Gon was hesitant to take. Mace hadn?t even dared tell him about the boy he would more than likely meet while on his next mission. ? He was afraid too. He feared Jinn would not take the mission and he felt just as the rest of the council that Qui-Gon was the best master for the mission. The boy would be an added distraction. Yoda had all but given up on pressing Jinn to take a padawan. *HAD* being the key word in Mace?s thoughts.

When Master Yoda returned from Rayos, a small agriculture planet, Mace thought Yoda had done a 360 degree turn and wanted Jinn to look into farm boy?s existence and Jedi potential. A farm boy with high midichlorian count, the little green master had recanted to Master Windu.

But when the trouble on Rayos started, Yoda appeared to abandon the idea of making another attempt to recruit the boy for the Jedi and thus vacated another attempt at getting his former padawan to take *Ben* under his wing to train. Yoda?s main focus was on protecting the planet from the overthrow and virtually hostile takeover by the Kragorians, from the planet Kragor not far from Rayos.

?Will you leave this evening or in the morning??

?Yoda has stressed the importance of this mission and the potential for mass death if the Jedi do not intercede and quickly. Though I do not entirely agree with his assessment of the situation, I plan to leave in just over an hour.?

?I can go with you, you know. I have some free time and the mission would do me good.?

Jinn?s eyes lit up.

?Not only could I possibly use the help I would appreciate the company. I have been given two knights about as green as the color of Yoda when it comes to experience and I certainly don?t think I have much in common with two young men that their combined ages still does not reach mine. Yes my old friend, if you would like to come, then please get ready.?

Qui-Gon got up from Mace?s desk and left. Mace notified the necessary council members, principally Yoda that he would be going. Yoda could be heard cackling over the comm. He was pleased that someone as seasoned as Master Windu would be going with his most favored former pupil and he knew Qui would enjoy having his former crèche mate and best friend with him.

?See you do, both of you remain safe. Watch over my new knights you will just as if they were padawans. First mission this is for them and like to see them returned to the temple in one piece I would.?

?Yes Master.?

Mace let out a long sigh. He really did need to pack but Yoda kept on talking.

?Qui and I will be sure and bring your new knights back to you.?

###on board ship####

? Master Yoda was on this planet not too long ago wasn?t he Mace??

Jinn had been rifling through several data pads for information that might help on his mission.

?Yes about three or four weeks age. Odd isn?t it? We have no contact with the planet at all, it is not in the federation, Yoda crash lands on it, and suddenly they are asking for the Jedi help.?

?Does seem a bit odd, but I am sure it is just coincidental. What makes my old master think this is such a dangerous mission? Is it who we are dealing with, the Kragorians? I have never dealt with them before, but I don?t see where there is any proof that they are any more ruthless than? let?s say the Hutts. Until a small band of renegades left their home planet, they had pretty much left others alone.?

?Because of the rich soil on Rayos it makes it a little gem of a planet. Survival made the Kragorians seek a planet that could provide their people food Survival can make any group of people ruthless if they have to be. The Kragorians can?t even grow crops on their planet. They are in extremely close proximity to Rayos. It would be quite a coup if this rogue Kragorian, Tesis and his men succeeded in overthrowing the government on Rayos and took total control. I think Yoda feels that they will try to interject their authority, even possi
  6. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    remind me not to fly with him any time soon
  7. jeday Jedi Knight

star 2
    I have been given two knights about as green as the colour of Yoda. [face_laugh]
    Mace the worst pilot he'd ever had the misfortune to travel with? [face_laugh]
    So they will see the Lars family soon? Please?
  8. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *Snrk!* That was juz great! hehehehe Mace being rusty in landing!

Great work :) Can't wait for more
  9. ewen Jedi Master

star 4
    Just to let you know, I will have another post for my other story first thing tomorrow. ewen

WARNING!!WARNING!!!WARNING!!!!
    I guess I should tell you that this story will deal with an abusive husband and equally abusive father[adopted father].
    I mean nothing personal to anyone. It is just a story plot.

###########################

Qui-Gon still grumbled under his breath about the landing technique Mace had just executed.

Attempted landing, Remind me not to let *him* land us on Coruscant when we return. We will wind up through the plate glass window of the council chambers.

He didn?t have much time to reflect on his old friend?s sloppy landing job. They had walked but a few steps when they were met by the most dangerous looking band of men he?d ever remember facing.

?Halt right there gentlemen. I did not know I gave you permission to land on Rayos.?

?May I ask with whom I am speaking??

?I am Risi, leader of this Kragorian mission .?

?Well Mr. Risi, I am Qui-Gon Jinn and this is Master Mace Windu, council master to the Jedi on Coruscant. Neither did *we* know that it was required of us to ask your permission to do anything on a planet that is not under the control of the Kragorians.?

? Indeed? I am surprised you even know of us; the mystical Jedi, supposed guardians of Peace with their Federation directing their every move. I suppose I should be honored. But no wait, you have been sent here to protect the cowardly people of Rayos. That is the only way you know of us. I am afraid you are too late? Master Jinn? is it? Maybe *we* were not in control here the last time you spoke to someone on this planet but now I await our exulted one from Kragor. And until he arrives I suppose I am the closest thing to a leader this planet has. Maybe you should have commed right before you came. That way you could have been notified of the political changes.?

It happened without warning. Mace, familiar with a sudden attacks was prepared and pulled his saber only seconds behind his friend, Qui-Gon Jinn. From the corner of his eye as he still prepared for the Kragorian attack, Jinn could see that his two young knight companions fumbled miserably with their sabers before they finally managed to unsheathe them

Something they will certainly need reprimanded for later.

Everything went blank in the Jedi master?s mind except for what he had before him; a true unwarranted battle.

At first sight Mace thought this would be an easy fight. He sped toward one of his attackers with the belief that his laser saber charged with the crystals from the Telosian mines would easily defeat his opponents? less formidable weapons of mere steel bladed swords. Mace Windu made the wrong assumption that the Kragorians? weapons were old fashion in comparison to the Jedi sabers.

He miscalculated the power and advanced technical quality of his enemies? weaponry. The sword in the man?s hand that was now engaged in a one on one battle with the council master, held a definite charge of its own. What seemed to be a regular sword lit up like lightning when it met the crystal energized blade of the Jedi?s saber. The only part on the sword that did not light up was the rubber-like hilt. The electrical charged sizzling of what looked like an antiquated sword was the last thing Mace remembered when just the tip of it touched his skin. It sent an undetermined sized charge of electricity through Master Windu?s body nearly stopping his heart. Mace collapsed immediately from that one little touch. Qui-Gon only had time to hope his friend was still alive. What he witnessed, the power of the Kragorians? swords, alarmed the Jedi master and adjusted the way he fought. He moved away from the parameter of this assailant?s sword. He had seen with his own eyes what a light touch of it could do to and he knew the importance of staying uninjured if only for the two young knights who battled valiant
  10. TraxxasJedi Jedi Master

star 1
    Hey I'm impressed. please more?
  11. snowbee-wan kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey ewen, I really like this story so far.
    Poor Ben, Lars is just awful to him, and denying him his chance to be a Jedi!! Hope Qui-Gon and Mace find him!

"I have been given two knights about as green as the color of Yoda when it comes to experience and I certainly don?t think I have much in common with two young men that their combined ages still does not reach mine."

LOL, that line was great..can't wait for more!
  12. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh man! Uh oh... Mace got nocked unconscious by the charge? Wow major uh oh.

Yep step pops is a meany, 100% assurity there!

Poor woman.. hopefully she'll be able to sneak behind the man's back

great work!
  13. ewen Jedi Master

star 4
    Traxxax Jedi wrote; "I'm impressed"
    Good and thanx. Now read on.

Snowbee-wan Kenobi wrote; I really like this story."
    Coming from you, I will take that as a compliment. I hope I continue to hold your attention.

Kynstar My always faithful reader, what can I say about your feedback, except that I love your enthusiasm. Don't think of curbing it, ever!!!

WARNING!!WARNING!!!WARNING!!!!
    I guess I should tell you that this story will deal with an abusive husband and equally abusive father[adopted father].
    I mean nothing personal to anyone. It is just a story plot.

NOW THE POST!!!
    ################

Ben ducked down behind some large drums just before his brother, Owen looked his way.

Not that he had anything against Owen, it was quite the opposite. Ben couldn?t figure out how someone so cruel and self-centered as their father, Lars Kenobi ever had a real blood related son so opposite him.

Owen was nice to him. Sometimes he turned the other way when his father would abuse Ben or yell at him. Owen Kenobi, birth son to Lars Kenobi didn?t want his Dad to know how much he did care for Ben. At least that is what Ben always thought. At night after a very bad conformation with his *Dad*, Owen would sneak in his room and say kind things or bring him some of his own last meal which had been denied Ben that evening.

Yes, he liked Owen very much. That is why he worried about him being out with the Kragorians looking for teens to kidnap and enslave. He wanted so badly to call out, tell him he missed him, and that it had nothing to do with him, his running away.

Owen knows that. I can?t let him know where I am. As much as he likes me is as much as he obeys his father. He would be forced to tell. No this way he can honestly say he didn?t see me, doesn?t know where I am. Oh I wish I could have told Mom and Owen bye.

Ben knew now was not the time to cry. He wiped a few stray tears and muffled a sob with his damp rough wool sleeve of his tattered and torn jacket. He watched gloomily as Owen left. Ben peered over the steel drum until he could not see Owen any longer. The boy walked down the tiny roadway that would take him back to the Kenobi farm.

Ben touched his cold, cold finger tips to his lips and whispered through them only loud enough for himself to hear.

Please be safe ?Brother?, mine

The slow misty shower had suddenly turned to torrents of pounding rain mixed with freezing sleet. Ben drew his over jacket closer to him and buttoned the one button it had.

It will getting dark sooner than it normally does because of the storm darkened sky. I have to find some place to sleep tonight, someplace where I won?t be found frozen stiff the next morning. The way that north wind is whipping up, I wouldn?t be surprised if that sleet and rain turns to snow in the middle of the night, after the temperature drops with total nightfall.

Before Ben got up from his hiding place, he gently ran his fingers of his right hand over his ankle, the one with the barbed edged bracelet on it. The bracelet, more like a heavy chain really, had been placed on him by his father and placed there much too tightly Ben thought. It cut into the skin if he kept his ankle bent a certain way. He?d been forced to keep it that way while he hid and the metal rough with jagged pieces sticking out because of the haphazard way the chain was made, had punctured small gashes around his ankle.

The cuts were deep enough to bleed and certainly deep enough to cause pain. Pain that before Ben had been able to control but since the forced adorning of the ankle bracelet he had not. There were a lot of things he could do before that now were impossible for the child who did not know the power of the force. He rubbed his ankle, pulled his hand up, and then rubbed the blood from his leg off his hand.

Ben might not have been educated book wise, but he knew how to stay out of sight and not be caught by the Kragorians. Twice he?d seen a small band of th
  14. ewen Jedi Master

star 4
  15. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Poor Ben... at least he got to see Owen before leaving. Though he didn't get to talk with him. Poor kid.

Uh oh... are the Jedi heading for the same place Obi is hiding in? hehehehe now wouldn't that be an ironic twist! hehehe :)

Poor kid... being hungry, know all about that!

Great chappie! Glad you 'upped' it, almost missed it! :D
  16. jeday Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hope the Jedi will meet Obi-Wan soon!
    Poor Obi alone and hungry. :(

Can't wait for more! :D
  17. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    Yay- Ben will meet Qui just like he is supposed to
  18. SarkaVrae Force Ghost

star 5
    good story! keep it coming! I can't wait to see how much Ben aggrevates Qui! And get that anklet off soon! :)
  19. TraxxasJedi Jedi Master

star 1
    The plot thickens... just kidding. I like this story. more more more!!!!
  20. ewen Jedi Master

star 4
    There was no reason for the Jedi to be able to feel through the force, the little person tucked warmly in the haystack.

?Ben? had been forced to wear an ankle bracelet that kept his *power* dulled. Of course the little Kenobi didn?t even know that it was the force he was blessed with and subsequently had been denied him.

Ben truly believed he was so different from others that he was a freak. That is what his ?father? had told him and it made sense to an eleven year old boy who knew nothing but what the wisdom and knowledge of his parents and brother. He had never been allowed to go anywhere but to the small village for supplies very occasionally.

*Ben* heard the creak of the old barn door when it opened. Would have been hard not too. Whoever opened it used so much strength he nearly tore it from the hinges. Ben heard the man say something under his breath directed to someone with him to do something then it grew quiet again. Ben feared to even breath . He was afraid that anything he did would be heard and the men at the door could be Kragorians. No matter who it was he didn?t want to be found by them.

He wasn?t sure if the thought of his father finding him or the Kragorians enslaving him that scared him more.

Knight Swenson passed Ben not a foot away when he flashed his light in a corner. There stood and old potbelly cast iron stove.

?Look Master.?

The anxiousness nearly drooled from the knight?s mouth.

?We can build a fire with some of the wood from those broken stalls and fix food on top of it.?

Jinn smiled. His pearly whites flashed and undeniable genuine grin at Swenson?s remark. It was dynamite find, the stove and for the first time he?d heard Mace mumble something. Yes, Master Windu was starting to wake up.

?Good then let?s all get to work and we can make this place toasty warm and comfortable. Then we will put some food on to cook and make some coffee.?

Both knights hurriedly started collecting the wood to ready the fire. Warmth and a full belly would be a blessing on a night like this.

Qui-Gon sat down beside his friend after he had the knights place Mace close to the stove. The fire began to roar in only a few minutes of putting the broken up wood in the stove.

Qui-Gon concentrated on a healing trance for Mace. Forty-five minutes later. Mace awake but drowsy from the warmth, food almost ready and better yet, each had a cup of hot cha in hand. Jinn alternated drinking his then helping his friend Master Windu take a sip or two of the hot body-warming liquid.

?Doing better Mace.?

?Yes, I am beginning to think I will live.?

Qui chuckled and at the same time turned his gaze from Mace to stare directly into the fire through the open door of the stove.

?Well that last healing trance seem to put you on the mend. I guess I just don?t know my power in the force.?

?Maybe you missed your calling Qui. Maybe instead of the great revered knight you are, you should have been a meek and mild healer back at the temple.?

Mace smiled weakly at his own joke before he continued.

?Wow, I don?t know what hit me, but it felt like a charge from a lightning bolt.?

?My best estimation is that it very nearly did carry as much power as a lightning strike.?

Jinn stopped a moment. Mace opened this eyes to see why his friend did not continue. Mace watched the concerned face of Qui-Gon?s turn as his attention was drawn to a horse stall in the barn.

?Is there something wrong Qui? You see something, is someone here with us??

Jinn jerked his head back quickly almost too quickly to stare at his friend.

?No, no, everything is fine.?

Just by his quick motion and the hesitancy in his voice, Mace knew Qui-Gon had something on his mind. And Mace got the feeling that that something was over in that broken down stall.

The pot of piping hot food provided a delicious aroma. Mace actually put forth the effort to rise up on his elbow when a bowl of the stew was brought to him. He said he opted to feed himself rather than have Qui drown him with it trying to
  21. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Great to hear that they can relax somewhat and get warm. Great!! Qui discovered Ben! Maybe now the boy can eat and get warm.

Great job! :D
  22. SarkaVrae Force Ghost

star 5
    Good, good, good! Keep it coming, when you have time! :)
  23. jeday Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yay, they discovered Ben! :) Even it is only one foot. :p
  24. TraxxasJedi Jedi Master

star 1
    MOre please? I like this story!
  25. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.