main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Baldur's Gate 2 Assistance

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Excellence, Jul 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Just out of curiosity Ex, do you have Throne of Bhaal as well? Because if so, just wait till you fight The Impisoned One. [face_devil]

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The Imprisoned One? I'm waiting for Draconis to teach him about dragons...

3. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I've got the Collector's Edition. Did the full installation to get faster loadings. I remember before quitting last time I couldn't travel outside the city without swapping discs. I've loaded the expansion, but occasionally people "are too busy to talk to me." It's a bug I solved last time with a patch, but for some reason I can't load that patch this time. I just reload the file each time. Annyoing.

The point is, two bow men with arrows brought down the mighty Firkagg, and because I left the room and cloned him, I've got double his items. I'll clear my name with the Paladins, then go to Umar Hills to save their boys.

I'm not scared of vamps anymore. I gave my undead paladin hunter two regenative Gaxx rings while he brawled with Windspear's dungeon vamps. He managed to take out the whole mob. I just have to work out how to not get stunned with the Umar Hulks now. ;)

4. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Hehehehe.

MWAhahahahahahahahahaha.

5. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I can't find their names on the GamesBanshee walkthrough. Go on, laugh, my doves, as Haer'Dalis would say, laugh.

Please note, that the so-called invincible Kangaxx fell prey to his own stubbornness. While he kept launching imprisoning bolts at Aerie, bubbled in magical protection, Jaheira's Rhynn staff +4 from the Adventurer's Mart's beat him. With two Carosmyrs, I'm extremely tempted to try the Twisted Rune again . . . It's tactics that are winning my progress, not spells.

6. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Anybody can beat Kangaxx that way. Even me. (though I beat him even easier with a critical hit from the Mace of Disruption +5 that killed him instantly.) Kangaxx becomes ridiculously easy because he has no physical attacks.

That is not the case with the enemies mentioned.

7. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

True, but I'm still early in the game. I think I'm a level 11 now. I'm noticing that you can't allocate experience points to anything; what I chose in creating the character I'm stuck with. Except for a theif, certainly no other player has options to choose from in levelling up.

I have a extremely low intel, didn't think it was necessary. So I'm going to the sewers to dikky with some mindflayers for fun . . .

8. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Not so tough after all. You can resist one or two psion blasts, but by then you've surrounded them with 2 carsomyrs. I just waited to they dispelled, then lured another one closer. I suspect the Underdark's variant would be harder.

9. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I'm back again!

I've learned only companions earn experience points when with you, and I'm getting the impression they won't get automatic points if they join you later, only what they had when last with you.

Is Viconia a worthy member? Does losing 2 reputation points matter? What does rep do for you? Her bio screen warns her equipment dissolves in the sun . . . I currently have Myself, Minsc, Jaheria, Aerie, Yoshimo and Keldorn. Viconia's romance will cause problems with Aerie, I'm sure, but if I want to level her up substantially I'll need her sooner than much later, right?

10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I never really like Viconia that much. A high reputation will earn you a discount at vendors. A low reputation makes them charge more, and if low enough, most people attack you on sight or call the guards. Your current line up is the one that I used to beat the game most recently.

If you have Throne of Bhaal, once you beat the game, all of your companions, whether they were with you or not, all level up to catch up with you once you beat the regular game and move onto the expansion.

11. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Having Viconia is helpful when you end up in the Underdark. IIRC, 2 reputation isn't gonna matter, gaining rep points is easy.

Theres also a cheat out there that forces all the romances to fo to their conclusion no matter what you do.

12. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

That's good to know. Reason I ask, see, is that I dropped Nalia for when I met Keldorn in the sewers. When I picked her up again briefly, she hadn't advanced in levelling up, leading me to conclude they won't do so automatically like KOTORs.

13. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Viconia is a very good cleric (in fact your only option unless you like Annoyman). Eventually you will reach a point in the romances where you can tell one of them to shut up, and you won't have any trouble from then on (though of course you only romance one).

Her current equipment doesn't dissolve, drow gear does (you'll get some of that later.)

NPCs only get XP when they are in your party unless they've never joined before, then there level will rise as yours does (up to a limit). That's why it's best to gather your party quickly and then keep them. Also Nalia sucks.

14. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Cool. Perhaps I'll get Viconia after I do the Keldorn-wife part. But that will leave me only two frontline fighters: me and Minsc; maybe Jaheria. Aerie usually growls fiercely in her little voice before dying, I've noticed.

I'm still not sure how to use spells, but I'll have to experiment properly one day. The game manual is really useless, as is the practice walkthrough. They only tell you the spells, not how to use them. Can I keep permamently whatever spell I memorise, or can I only retain limited number of spells? It's so complicated! No wonder I arrowed the red dragon to death without spells!

15. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    YOu memerize a certain amount of spells per level per day. Like 5 first level, 3 second, etc. Once you use a spell, it's gone until you rest a full 8 hours. If you want different spells, you pick them right before you rest

16. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Thanks, Flare. So unlimited storage, but increasing daily memorisation per level? So long as you have its scroll in inventory, like a battery to power that already memorised spell.

17. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Give Viconia a strength item (like the Mauler's Arm mace from the copper coronet) and she can frontline too....Jaheira is more than capable also particularly with Iron Skins and other buffs.

2 options for spells (assuming you are a wizard, not a sorceror)
    A.
    1)Use a scroll to copy a spell into your spellbook. Scroll disappears.
    2)Go into your spellbook and choose the spell to memorise (it will appear in the boxes on the left hand page).
    3)Rest.
    4)Spell can now be cast from the 'Spells' button on the action bar.

B.
    1)Put the scroll in quick item slot.
    2)Use it to cast the spell immediately.

A allows you to cast the spell whenever you want so long as you have it memorised; B lets you cast the spell once, quickly, whether it is in your spellbook or not. You only have to copy the spell once, so additional scrolls can be used for instant casting.

18. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Cool! Yes, I know about the Mace that gives you 18 sttrength or something like that. Allows Aerie to survive that much longer before squeaking. I also noticed that the loss of 2 reputation points with Viconia returns when she's not in the party. That's good; I can return it or her any time.

19. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    There was no sorcerors in BG2

20. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Did Viconia walk out on me from my heroic 20 reputation? Just out of the blue, she went hostile, no warning. When will she reappear? And will she she really fight me as promised, or is this a test of romance? I never saw this on the online guides. Damn, I want her.

21. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    No NPC sorcerors, but your character could be one.

Yes, if your reputation gets too high (you're too much of a goody-goody) Viconia will walk out. She's gone forever.

Also if you want to romance her you can't drop her from the party.

There is a mod that will get rid of this, and by the time you get to Throne of Bhaal it stops being an issue (I think because you're severely disadvantaged if a character walks out then.)

Also, don't keep her with Keldorn (don't know if you were planning to or not)- he hates Drow and will eventually attempt to kill her.

22. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Are you sure you can be a sorceror? I thought it was all D&D version 2

23. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Outrage! Then I cannot complete the Skin Tanner quest in Trademeet, as 2 more reputation will exceed her tolerance of 20. Analysis of online walkthroughs have showed that failed pickpocketing can reduce rep. I don't have Slayer yet, whatever that is.

I know about Keldorn, that's why I gave him a week of "wife time."

Once I rescued Viconia from burning, I soon removed her for Cernd very briefly for the druid grove. We hadn't spoken yet. Will her romance still work, you think? [face_praying]

My only hope is to pickpocket someone quick. I hate Neeber!

24. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    I *think* your romances pick up when you re-add the NPC

Make sure you save before pick-pocketing. You can fail miserably and all the NPCs will go hostile, you kill them, and you cant ever use them again. It can mess up your whole game.

25. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Oh, I know that much. :p Basically, pickpocket a merchant without witnesses to lose some reputation? My experiments today show how tricky that is in Trademeet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.