main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Baldur's Gate 2: The Ultimate Collection

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Excellence, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I did a search (no, I'm not a geek) but couldn't find this in the Games's Index-class thread. I came across Baldur's Gate 2: The Ultimate Collection for $50 my local currency and thought that was bloody cheap for both the game and its expansion.

-Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
    -Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal (expansion)
    -Bonus CD: extra weapons and armor, four character portraits, soundtrack from original game

So then I thought, what's the catch? [face_thinking]

Why is it so cheap when it's only a 2003 release? The Amazon reviews look promising, though a bit biased as usual, so here I am fishing for feedback. Preview pics I've perused give me the impression it looks very much the SNES Zelda game: you look down from high up.

So is the game as commendable as they all say it is? Music, plot, action, RPG, interest?

2. dark_charlie

dark_charlie Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 18, 2004
    $50 for a 5 year old game is cheap?

baldurs gate in ps2 is much better and its only $30

3. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Baldur's Gate for PS2/Xbox doesn't even compare as they're completely different games. The console games are hack'n'slash, the PC games are RPG's.

Anyway, I'd go for it if you like long, great roleplaying games. I loved all of it. The graphics are getting on a bit I guess, but it's still a great game with a great story.

The reason it's so cheap is because it's 4-5 years old. The bundle with the expansion is probably a re-packaging.

4. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    3 years ago, Baldurs Gate 2 DVD + Throne of Baal, £20.
    That's a good deal.

If you're getting the game, I'd heartily recommend getting the DVD, it saves you alot of grief of having the change CDs, which can be frustrating when you have to do it every 5 minutes.
    Otherwise, BG2 is perhaps one of the best RPGs ever created, a rich story (it does link alot back to BG1, which I only managed to play for 4 hours, but BG2 is well written enough to explain everything for those who havn't played BG1), music epic, the graphics are sensational for top down 2D, and a sort of... non-linear story in the way that your actions shape the world around you, and inevitably decide who you get married to, and from what I gather, you can pretty much get married to anyone (Relationships in KOTOR, eat your heart out).

5. Mara

Mara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 1999
    Of the whole BG series, I could only find one at a good price: Baldur's Gate at 20?, no expansion, no anything.

I like when 'old' games get published along with their expansions at a good price. It allows people who didn't buy them before to get them. :)

I mean, NwN + SoU + HotU is a total of 80? here, which is a lot...

But I bought KotoR (new) for 25? and the only thing I can really complain about is that the portuguese version has the the manual in black & white instead of color in nice paper, like the original thing. I'm acctually going to mail the publisher here asking them if they couldn't have printed the manual in even worst paper. ;)

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    This is getting rare, so if you want it, get it. Catch is no paper manuals, and they're very useful.

BG2 is one of the greatest games of all time, and probably the one I've completed the most. Buy it now, especially if you liked KotOR since it's probably just as good if not better storyline and tactics wise, though obviously not graphically. Still has an extremely active modding community who put out great products as well. I can't recommend it enough.

7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    So is the game as commendable as they all say it is? Music, plot, action, RPG, interest?

Yes. I've still yet to play an RPG that I liked better than BG2.

8. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Best RPG ever. It's quite long and immersive, you'll get your $50 worth if you get into it.

There's a demo of it around, if you want to try it before you buy it.

For a truly epic experience, go through Baldur's Gate I first.

9. dark_charlie

Apr 18, 2004
    best rpg ever? better then silver?

edit: silver has the most beautifull sountrack i ever heard on a role playing game. it as a soundtrack as beatifull as soul calibur 1 and 2.

if mara was a soundtrack, she would be silvers soundtrack.

10. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    As RPGs Go. Silver is... uhm... not the best.

if mara was a soundtrack, she would be silvers soundtrack.

Can I be Doom 3?

11. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Good feedback, thanks. But I could've sworn Amazon's site said it was a 2003 release, though . . . [face_thinking]

I like the idea of a bonus CD with the original BG's soundtrack. Only wish they'd do it for Homeworld 2 or KOTOR, though I know a great site for the latter.

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The collection was probably a 2003 release, but BG 2 was out in 2001.

13. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I've ordered it in. For $55 I just couldn't resist. I'm allowed to get at least one game a year, I think.

14. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Aren't you from Australia?

This place is cheaper. Consider this as well.

15. dark_charlie

Apr 18, 2004
    well if you realy like it, go for it, have fun! :cool:

but i strongly recomend silver to anyone who loves rpgs and havend played it. i know its quite old, i think its from 98/99 but its has a great soundtrack, cool story, rich enviroments, great soundtrack, cool gameplay, great soundtrack, and its one of the few rpgs i have fished more then 4 times, actualy, i must have finished it about 20 times...but you can finish it in 2/3 days. a short rpg... but a memorable one.

16. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I've bought it from Games Universe already for $55. Quite cheap, so I thought why not?

Marcus, that link is awesome. I don't know why the prices are devestatingly cheap, but I'll bear that place in mind next time.

17. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I've dealt with them before, they're very good. They even tracked down a copy of a game for me I ordered but sold out before my mail order got there.

If only they had Jedi Knight and MOTS....

18. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Got the game---whoa, it's a million times more complex than KOTOR!

It doesn't come with a game booklet, so I have no idea if I've done the right player stats. I've never played a game this complex. Maybe I'm spoilt, but it's a hassel to read the character speech and not hear it, like KOTOR!

I'll get the gist in time, but I think there's waaaay too much detail and aspects to grasp for a first timer and starting out fresh.

19. dark_charlie

Apr 18, 2004
    but it's a hassel to read the character speech and not hear it

thats why i didnt waste to many time on the first bbaldurs gate, i hate reading realy long conversations. i rather hear them like in BG dark aliance 1 and 2 for the ps2, i know the story istnt as great as the pc versions but it has better graphics and we dont have to read so much.

20. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    The manual should be in PDF format somewhere; I think it's automatically installed to your main game directory. It's fairly essential. What character type you going as?

As a full 2nd ED RPG it seems a lot more complex than the d20 of KOTOR.

Don't like reading? Heathen! Beside there is quite a lot of voicing in the game. However if there's too much text I don't recommend you ever play Planescape :)

21. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    None of the Amazon-class reviews said it was predominantly reading, so I never thought to check here first. All my games, KOTOR, Starcraft, Jedi Outcast, Homeworld 2---all talk to you every line you see. I thought that was what games of today were like . . . :_|

Sith Lords. Think they own the world!

Good idea! I'll check the CD files for a manual. I know KOTOR have its game booklet there.

I really don't know what I'm doing, though I only had one night of playing. I'm a human-elf, kensai, katana sword something or other. I haven't got out of the opening dungeon yet. All I know is that to spot hidden goodies I think I'm going to have to play with Imogen a hell of a lot.

Unlike KOTOR, the game doesn't automatically pause upon sighting an enemy . . .

And Minsc and his Boo hamster and russian accent is hilarious. Oh my gosh, the lines he has!

22. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    Jump on my sword while you can evil! I won't be as gentle!

23. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    There are auto-pause options in the options menu; you can probably set it to pause on sighting an enemy, casting a spell, after every round, whatever.

Kensai's a good class, but watch out. They have very poor AC since they can't wear armour (LOWER is better in this game) and will get hit a lot. On the plus side they will soon become absolutely killing machines. Best tactic- get Minsc or someone big to attack first, then while your enemy is distracted, move the kensai in to make mincemeat :)

Minsc can cast find traps, but only a thief (i.e Imoen) can disarm them.

Have you installed the expansion? I recommend you do it right away, since it allows use of the TAB key and seriously improves the XP cap.

24. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    >>> thats why i didnt waste to many time on the first bbaldurs gate, i hate reading realy long conversations. i rather hear them like in BG dark aliance 1 and 2 for the ps2, i know the story istnt as great as the pc versions but it has better graphics and we dont have to read so much.<<<

It's because of people like you that games like Fable, Jade Empire and Elder Scrolls IV are getting neutered. [face_plain] And were getting saddled with games like D&D Heros and Demon Stone. Bah! People with short attention spans are killing good games.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

25. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Yes, I'm finding it very annoying to switch companions via mouse clicks. It's just like Homeworld 2, where escape and enter keys don't function. Having played KOTOR, my hand automatically moves to the tab key to switch companions. I have to memorise which names are for the number keys.

I'll install the expansion if that helps. And I enabled the autopause function last night.

This is a really hard game, or maybe I need more time to get a feel for it. It's not user friendly, like KOTOR. So many companions and a million magic spells starting out. I haven't worked out why fighting some foes in the starting dungeon freezes some of my people. (need to sleep?)

That's the prob with collection edition games: they don't come with game books. I'll have to buy a game booklet to read; PDF isn't viewable whilst playing.

But the harder the game, the more fun it'll be!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.