main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The Loyal Imperial, Mar 15, 2012.

1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    [image=http://www.baldursgate.com/news/wp-content/themes/dilapidated1/images/BG-Enhanced-Wide.png]

Announcing Baldur?s Gate: Enhanced Edition?

Atari, Wizards of the Coast, and Overhaul Games are pleased to announce work has begun on the Enhanced Edition of Baldur?s Gate and Baldur?s Gate II.

Since its initial release in 1998, Baldur?s Gate has entertained millions of fans around the globe, and has received countless awards. This classic saga of mystery, intrigue, and adventure has set the standard for Dungeons & Dragons® computer roleplaying games ever since.

Re-forged by Overhaul Games

Overhaul Games has assembled a talented team of artists, programmers and designers to enhance this timeless classic. To remain true to the spirit of the game, the team includes original Baldur?s Gate developers.

Relive the most epic story ever told

Baldur?s Gate: Enhanced Edition? and Baldur?s Gate II: Enhanced Edition? will feature a re-forged version of the Infinity Engine with a variety of modern improvements.

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Saw this over on Penny Arcade.

It makes me very happy, especially if it's an iOS port.

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    [image=http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/264/241/9e9.gif]

4. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005

5. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    This.

6. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Heh. The BG modding community enhanced the Baldur's Gate series years ago. It's going to take something very special (new characters, more depth of interaction, etc) to draw me back to a prettier vanilla game.

Still, good to introduce a new generation to a classic.

8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, I bought a copy off GOG a while ago, although haven't played it yet. Hm, now whether to bother playing through the original or wait for this. Would be nice if they came out with a Mac version too actually.

And could something like this run on iOS? I know its pretty old (not that happy with Bioware at the moment, but heard very good things about this series), but portable would be very handy.

9. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    It could. It's basically a 10-15 year old game, and the iPad 2 is somewhere between the PS2 amd PS3 I'm total power.The iPad 3 might actually be roughly on par with the PS3. Technology marches forward!

10. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Bioware has nothing to do with this rerelease. And this is originally made back when Bioware was good. Before they got corrupted by EA.

11. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    yea, this predates the modern suckage of bioware by a lot. although even with the drop in quality i still like their games a lot more than a lot of other companies.

i get the feeling this could open things up to the modding community in a very different way, get some more people interested in it and possibly help improve it even more. currently playing through the tutu version of it, and i have to say that it is very different form vanilla BG1. not a bad thing in the slightest though.

12. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Not quite true. It doesn't have anything to do with the current company, but Overhaul was founded by former members of BioWare.

13. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    BG1Tutu > BG1 by miles.

Ulicus likes this.
  14. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    looked at this a bit more... and apparently they're going to try to avoid breaking the mods that are currently available, and add content. which i have to say makes this even more enticing. if they pull the mods still working thing off i think that'll make the game pretty damn awesome.

15. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Really this is the beginning and end of this debate. :D

16. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    This is due out September 18th. Two weeks to go!

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Just bought it. I look forward to its release.

You're stupid, Ulicus.

18. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    lol. tell us how this ends up if you don't mind. i wouldn't mind buying it, if i have the funds and all that jazz.

EDIT

just looked at the new site for the first time in a while, and saw that they're going to be doing continuing mod support. now THAT is pretty damn sweet. and all the enhancements and such. definitely want to pick this up when i can.

19. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
  20. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    sad, but sorta goodish news for you land. make a nice b-day present.

21. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Darn, I was looking forward to this next week. Hm, maybe I'll go try out the original now in the meantime (bought a copy of GOG a while back, never got around to playing it). Bit late to announce it though, yeah, its not just an extra week or something to fix a few last minute bugs, this is a... two month delay? They chalk it up as them adding in more stuff than planned, but still. Oh well, still looking forward to it and hopefully the extra wait will be worth it. Although I saw some random speculation elsewhere that they might be trying to avoid other big releases too, but not sure I believe that.

22. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Interesting note: November 30th is the 14th anniversary of the original game's release (in 1998). Nice timing.

23. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    *shudder* Remember, guys, ME 3 got pushed back on release, too. This is another Bioware product. Be warned.

24. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Technically, it's a former BioWare game.

25. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Yup, there are no EA overlords on this project. ;)