main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bamula Sector--Cartography contradictions

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Senator_Cilghal, Aug 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Jason Fry wrote on http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=swminis/article/huntwithin5
    "Donadus: Reference to Donadi stain-painting is from Before the Storm, p. 213. The Chorran shipjackers and placement of Donadus in Bamula Sector of the Inner Rim are new.
    Bamula Sector: Established, with no other detail, in Star Wars Adventure Journal #8, p. 132"

However, Bamula sector is said to be farther from the Core
    than New Cov (AJ8 p. 134).

New Cov is in Churba Sector in the Mid Rim.

How can a sector in the Inner Rim be further from the Core than a sector in the Mid Rim

2. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Generically, it is pretty simple. The division between regions are not straight lines. Parts of the Inner rim are very thin, allowing Colonies and Mid Rim to be fairly close to the core, while parts of the Inner rim are very thick, making them further away from the core.

In this specific case, I'm not sure.

3. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Well, acc. to the NJO-esque map, I see your point. However, the Inc Locations-esque maps portray concentric rings.

4. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Good catch. That does indeed look like a contradiction. And looks like it's my fault. Stang.

From my notes (which didn't save me on New Cov/Bamula), I've no map placement for Bamula Sector, and a note that based on the REBELLION map (which does have some usable placement info), the Churba Sector is due south of Corellia, quite possibly on the Corellian Run. (Though I don't believe it's ever been officially placed there.)

So one could make use of an in-and-out Mid Rim/Inner Rim border, yeah. Good idea. Alternately, one could say the Bamula Sector is a backwater somewhere in a tangle of minor routes in the Inner Rim, and to get to the Core from there one heads rimward to the Corellian Run -- hitting the Run in, say, the Churba Sector. So AJ8's Norjax seeks employment "closer to the Core" by doing just that, even if as the space crow flies he's heading farther from the Core.

Of such avert-your-eyes stunts are fixes made. What think?

5. President_Sharky

President_Sharky Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2004
    That works like magic. Good fix.

6. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    cilghal I answered this in another thread where you posted the same

7. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    You did? Sorry, Ceiran, I don't remember that! Well, I was just working on Wikipedia, and ran across this contradiction in my notes. And I had always thought CHurba was near th Corellian Run, so I'm glad Jason thinks the same. Well, Jason, I'll admit that's a rather bizarre fiz, but I'll buy it;) And thanks for answering my question!

MY notes on cartgoraphy, using info from the Thran Trilogy, the Thrawn tilogy sourcebook, and Rebellion, indicate Churba Sector is in the Mid Rim, bordered by Dolomar Sector (Mid Rim), Jospro Sector (Outer Rim), Dufilvian Sector (Mid Rim), and Sumitra Sector (Outer Rim). Of these, we know Dufilvian Sector includes Ando, which is placed on official maps near the Corellian Run, indicating Jason's placement of Churba Sector near the Run is correct.

8. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    K have been thinking on Jason's fix. "Closer to the Core" probably means closer to the heartland of the Republic, Coruscant/Alderaan/Kuat/Corellia vicinity; the far side of the the Core (Koornacht, etc.) is considered "remote" with few hyperroutes. So if Bamula was on the "far side" of the Inner Rim, say, out beyond Phu, Jason's fix would work.

9. wookieepedian1

wookieepedian1 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2005
    I have been looking at Carty's map of the placements of the Harrin Trade Corridor along with the Enarc Run, and it places Harrin Sector (also an Inner Rim sector) to be very close to the location that Churba Sector is being located, nearly due south of Corellia in the Inner Rim. Is there any source that places Churba next to Harrin or near it?

10. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Keep in mind that Carty's speculations on Kira were made before Kira was placed in the Clone Wars map. We know now that Kira is to the left of the Corellian Run, rather than to the right. This may throw off Carty's analysis of the location of other elements of the Twin Stars locations, such as the Harrin sector.

11. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Has he not updated his site to reflect the CW map?

We know Enarc is near Naboo (SON).

12. cartographer

cartographer Jedi Master star 1

Jan 2, 2003
    The map has been updated with all of the Clone Wars material. But I haven't updated the "Guesses" page so my incorrect speculation about Kira is still on there.

13. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    Carty! I've been tryin' to get hold of you! We want to use your maps on the Wookieepedia, with your permission, fully accredited. Is that OK?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.